Author Topic: What does the number stand for?  (Read 3758 times)

zuno

What does the number stand for?
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:25:51 PM »

Hi all,

I guess it is a very basic question for you... but I'd like to make sure...  eyeroll
I have some vintage posters that numbered at the right bottom corner.
What does the number stand for?
Please help me...  ;D

73/52
70/30
69/299
72/329

Thanks,

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: What does the number stand for?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 04:59:39 PM »
LAMP has an excellent article on this.

By the way, Zuno you have a VERY IMPRESSIVE and WELL ORGANIZED movie poster collection.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:12:05 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

zuno

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 05:58:32 PM »
LAMP has an excellent article on this.

By the way, Zuno you have a VERY IMPRESSIVE and WELL ORGANIZED movie poster collection.

Thank you...  :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 07:44:42 PM »
Yep that article provides a good overview.
Chris

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:37:15 AM »
No one knows???...  :'(

This explains it for you:

"Until mid-1977, the NSS number consisted of two digits, then a slash (/), and one to four numbers. The first two numbers indicated the year of the release, the slash was a divider, and the last four digits represented the sequential order of the movie for that year. For example, an NSS number of 65/100 indicated that the movie was released in 1965, and was the 100th movie title coded by NSS for the year 1965.

When the change was made, the same numeric breakdown was used, but the slash (/) was eliminated. The first two digits of the number represent the year the poster is released. The last digits represent the sequential order of the release for the particular year. NOTICE: on the right showing 2 posters from 1977 - Greased Lighting (on the top) had the old number system while Alice Sweet Alice used the new number system.

The NSS number is usually found on the bottom border of the one sheet poster, normally on the right side, but occasionally found in the lower left corner. The NSS numbers were in different locations on other poster sizes."

zuno

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 11:21:11 AM »
This explains it for you:

"Until mid-1977, the NSS number consisted of two digits, then a slash (/), and one to four numbers. The first two numbers indicated the year of the release, the slash was a divider, and the last four digits represented the sequential order of the movie for that year. For example, an NSS number of 65/100 indicated that the movie was released in 1965, and was the 100th movie title coded by NSS for the year 1965.

When the change was made, the same numeric breakdown was used, but the slash (/) was eliminated. The first two digits of the number represent the year the poster is released. The last digits represent the sequential order of the release for the particular year. NOTICE: on the right showing 2 posters from 1977 - Greased Lighting (on the top) had the old number system while Alice Sweet Alice used the new number system.

The NSS number is usually found on the bottom border of the one sheet poster, normally on the right side, but occasionally found in the lower left corner. The NSS numbers were in different locations on other poster sizes."

Thanks supraman079...  ;)

I realized "Dread_Pirate_Mel" already has linked the good article after I replied "No one knows???".
So I deleted that...
Meanwhile, you replied for me...  :o

Thank you so much, all...  ;D

Blessings!!!

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »
No problem bud.