Author Topic: Weekday, Evening or Weekend Auctions  (Read 2782 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Weekday, Evening or Weekend Auctions
« on: July 17, 2014, 11:23:47 AM »
OK, I hold the firm belief that weekend auctions and sales are the best for collectors and sellers alike.

I don't mind what time they are scheduled on a weekend; during the day so long as they start around 12:00pm or on the evening. Either way, in my experience auctions perform better on weekends.

I also think they perform well on evenings, so that is why I have created this poll with a maximum of two votes each.

What do you think?
Weekday,
Evening AND Weekend,
or just Weekend?
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: Weekday, Evening or Weekend Auctions
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »
I dont like weekend auctions at all, have about 50 other things to do besides sit in front of the computer which I do for hours on end m-f.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:10:07 PM by ddilts399 »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »
I dont like weekend auctions at all, have about 50 other things to do besides sit in front of the computer which I due for hours on end m-f.

what did you just call Adam?   ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
I dont like weekend auctions at all, have about 50 other things to do besides sit in front of the computer which I due for hours on end m-f.

sm1 sm1 sm1 sm1 sm1 sm1

I rarely check Bruce's Sunday auctions and I have pretty much stop buying from HA now that their auction lasts 3 hours.  Really, do these people expect collectors to spend 5 or 6 hours every Sunday watching their auctions?  Ridiculous.

T
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:54:12 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 02:53:35 PM »
what did you just call Adam?   ;)

laugh1

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 10:32:48 PM »
So for those who have voted, and commented, do you who prefer weekdays vote that because you often get a better deal on a weekday?

As a buyer, I feel you do get a better deal during weekdays on your bread and butter stuff. The higher end gear will always attract bids no matter when the auction is.

A lot of people work during the weekdays so do any of you think weekend and evening auctions are better for grabbing the attention of new collectors in particular? Or do you feel it is our responsibility as forum members, and the forum as a whole, to promote the hobby and let the new blood dictate which way they would like to go?

And in terms of the UK, what time would you American folk prefer a UK auction start time based on US East and West coast timelines, whether on a weekday, evening or weekend?
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 09:47:49 AM »
Must be quite difficult to assess the best hour of the day in an international auction world.

Perhaps the best six hour period based on your captive audience's waking hours.  So for example a 10pm GMT close for either fixed or extended time auctions for Europe and the US would cover a few sins.  That said, if some form of sniping software or realistic max bids can cover the majority of needs, then that will probably be the best we can hope for.

All this excepting the few, of which I number, who will get up at 2am to have a look at emp and see how I am doing there.  And by the looks of it, Heritage Signature Auctions will also require that discipline.