Author Topic: Topic/Post Responses AND Software Update  (Read 8056 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Topic/Post Responses AND Software Update
« on: June 28, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »
Jeff, as you are effectively running the show around here, is there anything you can do regarding topic/post responses?

By that I refer to when members ask other members direct questions only to be ignored.
Have just been having a read through the forum and yes, it is every member's prerogative to reply or not to reply, but the real question is doesn't this make the forum unwelcoming to new members?

A few of the other forums I frequent have a rule in place that specifically state unless a question is abusive, all questions must be answered and not left unanswered. That member also receives notifications saying they need to reply with an answer, which leads me neatly onto the next suggestion...

A forum software update.
A few of us have mentioned this in the past and it is needed now more than ever.
The forum will be offline for a small time, but that won't do any lasting damage as the update will only attract new collectors and make the experience better for current members, and I would like to think I speak for most members when I say we would happily accept a period of downtime in order for an update to be completed; one that enhance the user experience.

NB: I am not criticising any forum member, structure or ownership, but I am criticising the forums software as I talk from experience - it is old, outdated and now unsupported.
Adding changes yourself is all well and good, from a new banner to new categories, but it will all be in vain if the software isn't updated.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:09:25 AM by AdamCarter1985 »
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Re: Topic/Post Responses AND Software Update
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 12:55:15 PM »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 11:45:36 PM »
Jeff, as you are effectively running the show around here, is there anything you can do regarding topic/post responses?

By that I refer to when members ask other members direct questions only to be ignored.
Have just been having a read through the forum and yes, it is every member's prerogative to reply or not to reply, but the real question is doesn't this make the forum unwelcoming to new members?

A few of the other forums I frequent have a rule in place that specifically state unless a question is abusive, all questions must be answered and not left unanswered. That member also receives notifications saying they need to reply with an answer, which leads me neatly onto the next suggestion...

A forum software update.
A few of us have mentioned this in the past and it is needed now more than ever.
The forum will be offline for a small time, but that won't do any lasting damage as the update will only attract new collectors and make the experience better for current members, and I would like to think I speak for most members when I say we would happily accept a period of downtime in order for an update to be completed; one that enhance the user experience.

NB: I am not criticising any forum member, structure or ownership, but I am criticising the forums software as I talk from experience - it is old, outdated and now unsupported.
Adding changes yourself is all well and good, from a new banner to new categories, but it will all be in vain if the software isn't updated.

WTFO?  I am not sure if you are serious or not.  All questions must be answered, you say?  If you feel that way, then get to it.  There is nothing stopping you.  Bottom line is that people answer what they want to answer.  No more, no less.  And if something goes unanswered, then that's just how it is.  Mandating that someone answers something they do not want to answer means you get a piece of shit answer that is not useful anyway.

Unsupported by what?  I am looking at it on google chrome, and it looks supported to me.  Looks supported on firefox too.  No uses IE anyway, so I won't comment on that.  Cannot comment on Safari either because I don't do fruit.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 12:58:10 AM »
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 12:31:19 AM »
How many chickens does it take to change a lightbulb?

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:08:12 AM »

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:05:25 PM »

I read this one on the interwebz and it was pretty funny - "It depends if there is a hardware store across the road."

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 07:38:59 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sJCBRepFi2g" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sJCBRepFi2g</a>

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »
I read this one on the interwebz and it was pretty funny - "It depends if there is a hardware store across the road."

Oh haha I didn't know there was an answer, I often say it to be stupid.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 02:06:20 AM »
 rofl1
"You, answer my question, now!" Damn you!

What is the deal with this forum being so, "software inferior"?  Where are all these forums that are so technologically advanced? Most of the places I visit don't function as good as this one.Do these new "advanced" forums have mini bars and stuff? Answer my questions dammit!!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 02:14:58 AM »
rofl1
"You, answer my question, now!" Damn you!

What is the deal with this forum being so, "software inferior"?  Where are all these forums that are so technologically advanced? Most of the places I visit don't function as good as this one.Do these new "advanced" forums have mini bars and stuff? Answer my questions dammit!!

You've got Adam pressed to the boards now, Anthony...

tic-toc... how long til he gives you an answer...  dontknow.gif

waiting1

-Jeff

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 02:55:08 AM »
If anyone is need of this software it's MPF.

It's like they all got sent to the cornfield, over their.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 10:05:33 AM »
Hey new smiley's!   notworthy.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 05:03:46 PM »

-Jeff