Author Topic: How To Consign A Poster  (Read 8127 times)

SnapeZo

How To Consign A Poster
« on: June 13, 2014, 08:21:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

I found a great article on how to consign a poster from the Posters Please blog: http://www.postersplease.com/posterblog/?p=2632

What are your experiences consigning a poster?

I haven't had the opportunity to consign any posters or purchased any consigned posters yet.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
Re: How To Consign A Poster
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 08:28:45 PM »

What are your experiences consigning a poster?[/b]

oh Shit another pandora's box thread!  just kidding welcome1 to the forums

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »
 welcome1 here, too, SnapeZo.

Enjoy!

Jeff

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 11:53:02 PM »

What are your experiences consigning a poster?

You can consign a poster? First I have heard of it!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 11:55:41 PM »
I started reading the page linked and I don't think the seller is even starting at the beginning for what you should do

1) decide what you want to sell
2) determine whether you can handle a low starting no reserve sale
3) find out consignment rates at various venues, payment schedules, methods of promotion etc

and that's for starters

4) do you want to sell them yourself on ebay?
5) is there actually value to selling your posters through someone else (how much are they worth, cost of shipping and other issues)

there are many other issues.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 12:32:54 AM »
or purchased any consigned posters yet.

Hmmm...how can you be so sure?   :D
Chris

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 02:50:01 AM »
What Rich said. There are so many things to consider before consigning any poster. I have consigned to emovie and movieposterbid and I was happy with the results. Some I took a lose and others I gained money. However like Rich said you have to be okay with a no reserve auction. Also you have to consider the cost of shipping the items to the consignor plus their consignment rates. You will also want to make sure that your posters are packaged with care and will be able to withstand a beating by the postal service. You do not want them to get damaged. Another thing to look at would be to see how fast the consignor will sell your items. If there are posters they usually sell pretty fast but if they are odd materials for movies this could take a little longer to sell. I am actually still waiting for my odd stuff to go up for auction and it was sent back in December. Most companies will pay you within 30-45 days and that is because they want to make sure that the buyer pays for the items first and are happy with them.

Now if you were to sell on eBay then you have to consider your time photographing each and every poster, Packaging each poster, drive time and gas to get to the post office, and also what ever money you spent on packing materials for the posters. If they are cheap posters then it would not be worth your time or the consignors time to try and sell them. They are in business to make money and if a poster only sells for a few dollars it would be a waste of their time. Now if you have a bunch of junk posters that are not worth a lot then there is the possibility that they could be sold in a bulk lot.

So with all that said consider what you want to sell and a rough value of the posters to see if it would be worth the time for someone else to sell them for you. I do not know if you are a member of emovieposter.com or ha.com but there you can see past auction history to help you put a rough value on what you have.

Hope all that helps. And if I missed something I am sure someone will chime in.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 02:52:14 AM by rdavey26 »

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 04:08:20 AM »
I do not know if you are a member of emovieposter.com or ha.com but there you can see past auction history to help you put a rough value on what you have.

Correction. You don't have to be a member or log in to see our 991,955+ past results (with 826,566 images!) at http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archive.html

You DO have to be a member and log in to see Heritage's 300,000 or so past results.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 08:50:10 PM »
Correction. You don't have to be a member or log in to see our 991,955+ past results (with 826,566 images!) at http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archive.html

You DO have to be a member and log in to see Heritage's 300,000 or so past results.
Very true sorry Bruce. Glad you corrected me. I enjoy browsing the database on emovie. Thanks for providing all the images and auction history for all of us collecting.

Bruce

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 09:02:30 PM »
Very true sorry Bruce. Glad you corrected me. I enjoy browsing the database on emovie. Thanks for providing all the images and auction history for all of us collecting.

You are welcome! It costs a fortune to host a million images on a site that never goes down, but it is my gift to every fan of movie posters, which is why you don't have to sign in to view them (even though it only takes a minute to sign up).

At some point I may add an expanded pay part which contains all the super-sized images (you can't begin to imagine how expensive it would be to host a million of the super-sized images, and the cost would just be to pay for that added cost.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 11:49:48 PM »
At some point I may add an expanded pay part which contains all the super-sized images (you can't begin to imagine how expensive it would be to host a million of the super-sized images, and the cost would just be to pay for that added cost.

Would the cost be around 4x what Heritage pays to host a 1/4 of a million super-sized images?
(which they offer free, but there is that dreaded signing up thing).
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com