Author Topic: UK framing advice ?  (Read 6928 times)

wasp23

UK framing advice ?
« on: June 10, 2014, 05:21:52 PM »
Hi, I have a few posters I would like framed and wondered what the best options would be.
I have had a couple custom framed in the last and whilst I have been happy with the results it is quite expensive.
Does anyone UK based here buy frames online and do it themselves ?
Or can you get those snap style frames over here ?
Any advice appreciated.  Thanks.

Lost Silents

Re: UK framing advice ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 05:14:56 AM »
Welcome wasp23!

Personally I would think that your framing decisions should be governed by the types of poster you collect. A modern poster could almost certainly go into a snap frame if you're careful (and yes, they sell them over here) but if you have older stuff it's worth getting it properly framed by a conservation-grade framer, especially if your house has problems with damp/humidity!

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:36:20 AM »
I agree with Lost Silents - if it's a rare or valuable poster, probably best to get it framed nicely so it protects the poster.

I had a quad snap frame that I bought from a UK seller and it was a pretty good way of cheaply displaying posters and very handy that you can change them easily. I wouldn't risk anything too valuable in one for an extended period of time though (the backings are probably not acid free and the plexi/acrylic is in contact with the poster on the one I had), but they're a good option for getting stuff up on the wall quite cheaply.

Mirosae

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »
What she says and agree with Tob too.

Just ask around and see if your local framer knows how to do it. Conservation framing is key for vintage paper.. (and any other precious poster) Make sure you ask all the questions...a bad frame can ruin your poster.

wasp23

Re:
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 04:39:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice.   Whats a ballpark figure these days for a framing ?  Think I payed about £40-£50 for my Phantom Menace one sheet back in the day.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 05:51:30 PM »
I think the biggest expense is the glass/plexi and the options surrounding that (e.g. museum glass is a lot more expensive than just UV resistant glass). Get a few quote as they can vary drastically. I think £40/£50 sounds really good value, so try and re-use that framer :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 05:54:13 PM »
And one should avoid using glass with posters, too, as glass more easily retains heat and any moisture or humidity that may be held between it and the poster.  ;)

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 06:56:11 AM »
I think the biggest expense is the glass/plexi and the options surrounding that (e.g. museum glass is a lot more expensive than just UV resistant glass). Get a few quote as they can vary drastically. I think £40/£50 sounds really good value, so try and re-use that framer :)

Agree. I have  gone for museum glass and museum type conservation frame  for smaller items. Plexi for larger items. A good frame is never cheap! There are good framers in London. I have 2 locals that do a decent job.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 08:10:03 AM »
Agree. I have  gone for museum glass and museum type conservation frame  for smaller items. Plexi for larger items. A good frame is never cheap! There are good framers in London. I have 2 locals that do a decent job.

Yep, it sure can add up! One thing to note is to go over in detail what you want (and if you're not sure, ask!). I have heard a few horror stories about posters/prints being dry mounted without their owners knowledge or consent...so make sure your framer doesn't do that if you want the framing to be reversible. Here is an example of this over at Expresso Beans - http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=139219

I have a friend who is a framer based in Northampton, so if anyone is after one in that neck of the woods let me know and I can PM details.

Lost Silents

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 06:35:22 AM »
And one should avoid using glass with posters, too, as glass more easily retains heat and any moisture or humidity that may be held between it and the poster.  ;)

What should one use instead of glass? Is Plexi preferred?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »
What should one use instead of glass? Is Plexi preferred?

Absolutely - UV filtering, non-glare is my preference
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »

+1.

I agree totally here. Stay away from glass, if you can, LS. It's not good for framing posters.

Use the glass for a green house. ;)

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 01:55:14 PM »
i suspect it is a personal choice.  In my experience museum glass works really well.But it needs to be top quality... If your home has humidity issues then it is not a framing question. You need a dehumidifier! Either way..Make sure it is done properly.  That's what really counts!!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 02:55:58 PM »
Some good advice already, where abouts in the country are you?    The last one's I had done with Acid free backing, and non-reflect plexi glass front were around £70, but stuff is much cheaper up this end of the country. London prices are a fair bit more..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »
This is one that cost about £70 as described above..

It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 04:38:40 PM »
Beautiful. I can see London is a bit pricey..

It looks great! :)

wasp23

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »
Thanks for all the responses, please can anyone recommend a Decent framer in the Derbyshire/Yorkshire Area.