Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2212536 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2975 on: July 25, 2012, 04:52:35 PM »
Enki, there are other collections noted within this catalog, including the Wade Williams collection. It is a very common practice and I have no doubt Bruce does it also.

Considering the write-up in the catalog, there just isn't a way to confuse the two. They've doen as much as anyone could do other than also note in capital letters: "JOHN L. WILLIAMS THE COLLECTOR IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH JOHN WILLIAMS THE COMPOSER. HE IS ALSO NOT TO BE CIONFUSED WITH ANY OTHER JOHN WILLIAMS, PAST PRESENT OR FUTURE WHO MAY OR MAY NOT AT SOME POINT DECIDE TO COLLECT STAR WARS POSTERS OR COMPOSE MUSIC FOR STAR WARS MOVIES."
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 05:17:46 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2976 on: July 25, 2012, 04:55:26 PM »
I would imagine Heritage are simply respecting the wishes of the consignors by publicly acknowledging the source of the collection rather than adopting a bizarre marketing technique.

Mark  

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2977 on: July 25, 2012, 05:18:29 PM »
they have previously noted from the collection of Kirk Hammett & from the collection of Nic Cage

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Bruce

« Reply #2978 on: July 25, 2012, 06:24:38 PM »
Nobody in the world knows THIS John Williams. EVERYONE knows the famous celebs they have mentioned.

There is a guy named Bruce Herschensohn. He ran for Senator in California, and had a radio talk show for years. He is around 20 years older than me.

Yet every week I get one or two messages from people thinking I am him. They miss the major spelling differences and all the rest.

But NO ONE could mistake one John Williams for another John Williams, especially when one is a famous composer who millions of people ONLY know as the composer of Star Wars music, and this is a collection with great Star Wars posters.

I am wrong again!

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2979 on: July 25, 2012, 06:35:19 PM »
Well.. I just won a poster.

:D

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2980 on: July 25, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »
people will confuse anyone with anyone at any time. a minute's research generally solves that issue. A note in the Heritage catalog explaining who John L. Williams was solves that issue. Anyone insinuating that Heritage is doing something nefarious with what they printed in their catalog is off-base & looking to pick a fight with strawman arguments

-------

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2981 on: July 25, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »

woohoo

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2982 on: July 25, 2012, 07:00:44 PM »
OMG(!*@(!*@ THIS IS SUCH UTTER BULLSHIT. Now HA is saying my bid wasn't recognized even though it said I was the winner of the poster when the auction closed.

I'm on the phone with them right now to try and find out what happened. I don't believe this.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2983 on: July 25, 2012, 07:27:25 PM »
ah yes, the infamous R2 double D's poster  ;)

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2984 on: July 25, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »
Whew. Ok, so we DID win it.

Apparently, long story short, someone screwed up on the floor and entered in the wrong bidder number. Both my wife and I called HA (I called Dallas HQ, my wife called Beverly Hills). I got the run around, but finally made it to a supervisor who said he would look into it in the morning. The CSR was saying that neither of my bids were recognized, and when I started inquiring about how that was possible since the website clearly said I won, she didn't have much for me.

My wife fortunately pulled a manager off the floor who looked into it, and saw that it was a typographical error that "would have been caught anyway", but he manually fixed it, and we are now the winner of record.

It was a rough last half hour here....

So now, I can go back to my woohoo

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2985 on: July 25, 2012, 07:52:55 PM »
Whew. Ok, so we DID win it.

It was a rough last half hour here....

So now, I can go back to my woohoo

Congrats, I'm sure the "late John L. Williams" would be happy his prize poster was won by such an enthusiastic Star Wars collector!  

I'd to know the story with the sig.  Lucas rarely signs anything.  How did he get it?  Perhaps you could contact his family....

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:53:34 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2986 on: July 25, 2012, 08:10:33 PM »
Congrats, I'm sure the "late John L. Williams" would be happy his prize poster was won by such an enthusiastic Star Wars collector!  

I'd to know the story with the sig.  Lucas rarely signs anything.  How did he get it?  Perhaps you could contact his family....

Thanks! Good idea, that would be an interesting story to hear.

Bruce, since you mentioned that you knew John and his family, do you think you could see if they would be willing to talk about it (or with me)?

Normally, I'm not a real 'signature' collector, and this one is so simple that I would normally be concerned. But I did some prior research and confirmed that's how George Lucas signed things (recently), plus it's coming from a notable collector and through a reputable auction house, so there is enough there to verify it's authenticity.

How rare is it for Lucas to sign things? Is he one of those people who is against it in general?

I'm really excited I got it. I did not originally plan on going for such a high priced item. I've been looking forward to this auction for months, waiting to pick up a couple good SW items. But when all the other ones I was looking at (Birthday, Chaykin, etc.) started skyrocketing last night to (IMHO) crazy prices, I figured I might as well go big. :D Plus, these are very rare to see at auction, so who knows when I would get another chance.  I think I did fairly well price wise. I wouldn't have bid any more than what I won it for, and I had assumed it would have gone for somewhere in the estimate range ($5-8k), especially since an unsigned one went for $6k a while ago.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2987 on: July 25, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »
Thanks! Good idea, that would be an interesting story to hear.

Bruce, since you mentioned that you knew John and his family, do you think you could see if they would be willing to talk about it (or with me)?

Normally, I'm not a real 'signature' collector, and this one is so simple that I would normally be concerned. But I did some prior research and confirmed that's how George Lucas signed things (recently), plus it's coming from a notable collector and through a reputable auction house, so there is enough there to verify it's authenticity.

How rare is it for Lucas to sign things? Is he one of those people who is against it in general?.

The bio on page 99 of the catalog says "Big John" went to "countless" sci-fi conventions and had "countless encounters with cast and crew" over a 35 year collecting career.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:14:31 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2989 on: July 25, 2012, 09:23:12 PM »
So question... Obviously this is the most expensive poster that I own (Wife: "And will ever own"), and want to make sure that I can present it properly and safely, while ensuring it's condition is preserved. I plan on framing it and putting it in my office. In the past, for all my other posters, I bought a frame from Hollywood Poster Frames, getting the archival backing and the UV plexiglass. I simply slid them into the frame, and they were held loose between the backing and the plexi. Is that the best thing I can do for this poster, or should I look at getting it professionally matted/framed/etc.? I want to make sure it's stored the best way possible, so was hoping for any "best practices" feedback. Thanks.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2990 on: July 25, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
Why not just give Sue a call directly and discuss with her?  I'm sure she'd be able to give you all your options.
She was a great help for me here in Australia when I was trying to work out what to do with mine in terms of asking the right questions of framers...
Ves

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2991 on: July 25, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Why not just give Sue a call directly and discuss with her?  I'm sure she'd be able to give you all your options.
She was a great help for me here in Australia when I was trying to work out what to do with mine in terms of asking the right questions of framers...

True, but I figured that there is a great repository of information/knowledge here too :D.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2992 on: July 25, 2012, 11:47:38 PM »
True, but I figured that there is a great repository of information/knowledge here too :D.

Congrats - great score, it will certainly be a discussion piece wherever you hang it.

Which brings us to framing...here's my tuppence worth:

Let your wife choose the frame, she will want it to suit the style of the house, that way, considering what you've spent, she'll still be on your side. Trust me, now you've spent big bucks you need here on your side for a while longer... ;)

Absolutely take it to a professional framer, conservation mats, the right glass (non reflective or museum grade, dependent on budget), all the rest you probably know about. Given what you've spent so far, don't be surprised when you have to spend as much as another $500+ on getting it framed properly with the right materials (now you see why you need to let your wife choose!).
David

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2993 on: July 26, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »
as a former gallery owner, I can tell you there is no difference between a $100 Hollywood Poster Frames frame and a $500 dollar archival frame from an art store.

I also don't believe that because something is expensive, it needs an expensive frame

I have $200-300 posters in Sue's frames, and I have $5000-$10,000 posters in Sue frames

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2994 on: July 26, 2012, 12:04:17 AM »
Find a good framer who likes posters, thats how I got my frames, Frames for (movie) Paper.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2995 on: July 26, 2012, 01:00:38 AM »
as a former gallery owner, I can tell you there is no difference between a $100 Hollywood Poster Frames frame and a $500 dollar archival frame from an art store.

LOLz
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2996 on: July 26, 2012, 02:59:39 AM »
oh Ben, you're right.. I made a mistake and it is funny.. There is a difference between a $100 Hollywood Poster Frames frame and a $500 dollar archival frame from an art store.......

$400

other than THAT, there is no difference

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2997 on: July 26, 2012, 04:14:10 AM »
as a former gallery owner, I can tell you there is no difference between a $100 Hollywood Poster Frames frame and a $500 dollar archival frame from an art store. I also don't believe that because something is expensive, it needs an expensive frame. I have $200-300 posters in Sue's frames, and I have $5000-$10,000 posters in Sue frames

No Difference? That's horse twaddle and being a former gallery owner has nothing to do with it.

Let's be clear, I was not denigrating Sue business or product (and I have bought frames from her) and nor I do not know her entire product range) but I understand she offers just four variations of low-profile frames (I guess all metal of some sort) in just 8 colour variations. I am not sure but I believe she does not offer wooden variations either of which their are thousands etc etc in the world to choose from (I freakn know because I have watched my wife go through them) and nor does she offer a framing service as opposed to getting a professional framer to do it.

Also I am married, Enki is married and I was giving some tongue in cheek advice about the marital side of the argument since he just had the evil eye over his purchase.

David

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2998 on: July 26, 2012, 05:26:07 AM »
from an archival standpoint David, what Sue offers for approximately $100 is the same quality as what some art framer will offer you in 99.9% of all framing shops. Sue uses the same acid-free material, the same backings etc. No she does not do ornate gold frames that your wife will focus on, forgetting what the poster is worth, because the frame goes with the couch and china cabinet

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2999 on: July 26, 2012, 07:30:34 AM »
nor does she offer a framing service as opposed to getting a professional framer to do it.

Actually, Sue has provided a framing service for a couple of my more complicated projects.  She just doesn't advertise it.
-Jay-