Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2212798 times)

Charlie

Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2300 on: April 19, 2012, 04:08:42 PM »
I just figured everyone knew it was the poster from the movie.  It's cool but ever since that film Danny Devito just creeps me out.  This is the worst Batman of them all...  Yes even lower than Mr. Freeze...  It's just too dark and creepy for me.  If this was a poster from Howard the Duck I may have had to break my vow...

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #2301 on: April 19, 2012, 04:26:17 PM »
you can watch the movie
wynk

Good point! I can't see why anyone would remake them either. It's one of the few posters I'd really like to get framed and judging by your sale was more than happy to pay $10.25 for it!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2302 on: April 19, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »
Yes, the Cobblepot poster was discussed last August when Cj posted a photo of his one and a link to the movie, showing how they were used.

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,3025.0.html

I think it's a great poster. Heritage have a record of selling one 9 years ago for $150 and a slightly battered one sold at Cameo last month for £210 plus commission. I think the price I paid - $180 - was about right.

http://cameo-auctioneers.co.uk/index.php?option=com_auctionimport&view=archivedetail&id=66&search=batman returns&page_list=25

The widths of the trimmed ones seem to vary and I guess there was no real need for precision cutting given the context in which they were used. So, although my copy was not used on set I'm pleased I have the complete image.

Mark

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2303 on: April 19, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »
In other words, this poster is a movie prop and probably went for a supreme bargain

But, if it is untrimmed (and unused) it wouldn't technically be a movie prop, would it?

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2304 on: April 19, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »
It was printed for that purpose so in my view it is an unused prop. Clearly I could trim it if I felt the need to create an impression of use.

Mark

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2305 on: April 19, 2012, 09:23:57 PM »
This is the worst Batman of them all...  Yes even lower than Mr. Freeze...  It's just too dark and creepy for me. 

BATMAN RETURNS also co-starred Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman.
IMO, that alone elevates it above all other Batmans (if you think like I think and I hope that you don't).  wynk

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2306 on: April 19, 2012, 09:42:22 PM »
A beautiful unbacked and unrestored UK, stone litho, 6 sheet for the 1929 British production of ATLANTIC: ($9500.00 BIN)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370606324827#ht_500wt_1005

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2308 on: April 19, 2012, 10:21:54 PM »
well thats a bit steep.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2309 on: April 19, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »
well thats a bit steep.

ya... seems to be that, true enough.  :o

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2310 on: April 19, 2012, 11:56:27 PM »
well thats a bit steep.

That's because the seller must be as high as a kite.
wtf?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2311 on: April 20, 2012, 01:31:58 AM »
Well a little expensive, I'm selling my spare one for £1800....Bargain... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #2312 on: April 23, 2012, 03:28:50 PM »

Charlie

« Reply #2313 on: April 23, 2012, 04:21:39 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110863494326?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Zombie Flesh Eaters on linen doing good business!

Guess no APFer is chasing it:  "Professionally linenbacked and restored to archival standards by Chris Coultier in NYC."

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2314 on: April 23, 2012, 04:50:36 PM »
Guess no APFer is chasing it:  "Professionally linenbacked and restored to archival standards by Chris Coultier in NYC."

No smart APFer anyways!
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2315 on: April 23, 2012, 06:16:56 PM »
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2549034

My wife and I love our one, maybe Stew will stop hassling me for ours now... ;)

Paramount Pictures can trace its roots to the creation in May 1912 of the Famous Players Film Company. Founder Hungarian-born Adolph Zukor, who had been an early investor in nickelodeons, saw that movies appealed mainly to working-class immigrants. By mid-1913, Famous Players had completed five films, and Zukor was on his way to success.

That same year, another aspiring producer, Jesse L. Lasky, opened his Lasky Feature show Company with money borrowed from his brother-in-law, Samuel Goldfish, later known as Samuel Goldwyn.

And so in 1914 both Lasky and Famous Players began releasing their films through a start-up company, Paramount Pictures Corporation, formed early that year by a Utah theatre owner, W. W. Hodkinson, who had bought and merged several smaller firms. Early that year on May 8, 1914, Hodkinson had merged 11 film rental bureaus to create the first U.S.-wide distributor of feature films, Paramount Pictures.

In 1916, Famous Players-Lasky Corporation formed from the merger of Famous Players Film Company and the Jesse L. Lasky Feature Play Company. The newly merged film studios acquired Paramount and became the parent company. Adolph Zukor fired Hodkinson, took over as president of Paramount, and added motion-picture production to the company’s film distribution business.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:18:10 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2316 on: April 23, 2012, 06:31:14 PM »
Lol, never give up is my motto,
Just wish I had a Passport. hehe.

Stew
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:39:07 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2317 on: April 23, 2012, 09:04:17 PM »
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2549034

My wife and I love our one, maybe Stew will stop hassling me for ours now... ;)

Love that poster!  And I did notice Bruce had one up.

I am wondering if the spelling of "Theatres" suggests this was intended for Britain, Canada or Oz?
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2318 on: April 23, 2012, 09:14:07 PM »
Love that poster!  And I did notice Bruce had one up.

I am wondering if the spelling of "Theatres" suggests this was intended for Britain, Canada or Oz?

It's interesting you pick that up because I had noticed that too, I can't date it accurately but the 'Americanisation' (or bastardisation, you choose  ;) ) of the spelling of Theatre was not really in full effect until after the second world war. So 'theatre' is spelled correctly
David

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2319 on: April 23, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »

No, either spelling is still common in the U.S...  

We have both kinds, country & western...

And it's 'correctization'... with a zed...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:17:33 PM by archie leach »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2320 on: April 23, 2012, 09:16:18 PM »
It's interesting you pick that up because I had noticed that too, I can't date it accurately but the 'Americanisation' (or bastardisation, you choose  ;) ) of the spelling of Theatre was not really in full effect until after the second world war. So 'theatre' is spelled correctly

And here I thought we were all allies during WW2 eyeroll
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2321 on: April 23, 2012, 09:19:46 PM »

Nice poster. Another early piece that comes up with regularity. Always liked the color combination, too.  thumbup

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #2322 on: April 23, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »
Interesting that you are talking about this poster. There was a find of these in New England, in the rafters of an old movie theatre there. There were a bunch of other posters there, all from 1914 to 1916,

From a history standpoint, it was a much more significant find than Berwick, or even Royal Theater, but alas, there is not much big money in history.

There is an interesting story connected with this. A collector called me up and told me about the find, and he said he did not have enough money to buy it, so he offered to let me have it all, for a hefty finder's fee. I agreed, and wired him the amount needed for the purchase, even though I did not know him from Adam.

He got the deal, sent it all to me, and I paid the finder's fee.

A couple of months later, a few people told me that they had bought similar posters from him. I called him and asked him if he had held some out on me, and he confessed that he had "taken a couple" and had sold them.

A few years later, he called me up and told me he had actually taken around 50 of the posters, but that he had been scared after I called him and had not sold any more. He said he felt really terrible about it, especially since I had trusted him (a total stranger) with all that money.

He then said something that really floored me. He said he wanted to consign the remaining posters to me! He said that he didn't have to confess, and that he COULD have simply kept them, and that he thought this was fair!

I had never had a contract with him, or anything in writing, so I had no legal basis to get them back, so I just said OK, and I auctioned them for him!

There were around 20 of the Paramount one-sheets in all, and I am down to the last two. Most of these had been tri-folded together, and they almost all had damage on the top fold. Most of the other posters in the find were in unbelievably great condition.

Another funny postscript. A couple of years ago, the fellow died, and his daughter called me up, and said her dad said that I was the only person in the hobby he trusted, and to call me if anything happened to him! I auctioned his collection the last two years, and of course I never told his daughter the above story, and in fact this is the first time I am telling ANYONE the entire story!

Bruce

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2323 on: April 23, 2012, 10:07:01 PM »
Great story Bruce.  Guess that clarifies it's a US release poster and why there are so many around.
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2324 on: April 24, 2012, 12:49:18 AM »

From a history standpoint, it was a much more significant find than Berwick, or even Royal Theater, but alas, there is not much big money in history.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce! The story is a great read and also means a lot to me. I bought the poster because I loved the history behind it (once I researched it) - that there were so few makes me feel lucky I got one. We spent a lot of money getting it museum grade framed (more than 3 times I paid for the poster!) so we could display it for a long time without too much fear of degradation.

I also bought this a year or so ago http://tinyurl.com/83u2cy2 because it makes a great match for the poster (and is a wonderful read). I keep it nearby for people to look at, specially the ones who show interest in the poster - as much as I like my movie posters I do like this sort of stuff too.
David