Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2212864 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8000 on: September 25, 2017, 08:52:56 AM »
I remember that discussion and the fact that this thread survives should be answer enough as to whether 'outing' is still an issue.

8) thumbsup.gif

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8001 on: September 25, 2017, 08:56:08 AM »
I think concensus was any item that was in Mel's budget range couldn't be discussed but if it was higher, then, fair game

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8002 on: September 25, 2017, 09:24:56 AM »
The Jezebel LC was also a featured/highlighted/"outed" item in HA's own Sept 18th post, so that made it even more visible and known to folks here, versus 99% of the other material that was available for auction last night.

See item #2 in their post:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,12408.0.html
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:13:31 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8003 on: September 25, 2017, 10:52:46 AM »
The real crime is with all those random posters going so high, this gem appears to have gotten lost in the shuffle on the one day I couldn't bid!!!  Sure it has a little dirt and some scuffs, but it's unbacked and $382 is too damn cheap for this poster! moron1

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/sports/the-endless-summer-cinema-5-1966-day-glo-silk-screen-one-sheet-27-x-41-sports/a/161739-54113.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8004 on: September 25, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »
I think concensus was any item that was in Mel's budget range couldn't be discussed but if it was higher, then, fair game

That was exactly it.

I don't think outing HA or Emovie is outing.  They advertise enough on this forum and if you don't know who they are and when they sell, maybe you should find yourself another hobby.  But outing an auction simply because you can't afford it is an absolute no.  It's not so much about the members here, more about all the l-urkers out there.  If you see something and you think someone else might be interested, you're free to send them a private message.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8005 on: September 25, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »
The real crime is with all those random posters going so high, this gem appears to have gotten lost in the shuffle on the one day I couldn't bid!!!  Sure it has a little dirt and some scuffs, but it's unbacked and $382 is too damn cheap for this poster! moron1

I thought about getting it, but the "Fine+" kept me away.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8006 on: September 25, 2017, 12:17:12 PM »
Thanks for the tip on Besson's stuff.  Is it going to be at Emovie again?

My guess would be no, but we will know soon enough
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8007 on: September 25, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »

Couldn't you have bid any of the other six days it was listed for auction?
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8008 on: September 25, 2017, 01:34:20 PM »
We all have specific ways of bidding.  Matt bids the day of, I think.  I ALWAYS bid at the 5 minutes mark since I can't snipe, and within the last 3 seconds on EBay.  If I can't do it, I miss it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8009 on: September 25, 2017, 02:18:33 PM »
Couldn't you have bid any of the other six days it was listed for auction?

It's something I've been looking for forever, but it isn't a priority as it's not that rare. And let's be honest, I didn't have any reason to think it would sell for under $1000, let alone well under $500!  Before yesterday it had only for <$1000 ONCE at Heritage when one sold for $956 3 years ago.  Otherwise all the sales have been $1000-3000.  Craziness.

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #8010 on: September 25, 2017, 02:27:42 PM »
It's something I've been looking for forever, but it isn't a priority as it's not that rare. And let's be honest, I didn't have any reason to think it would sell for under $1000, let alone well under $500!  Before yesterday it had only for <$1000 ONCE at Heritage when one sold for $956 3 years ago.  Otherwise all the sales have been $1000-3000.  Craziness.
I have been after the quad forever and a day, now that is rare!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8011 on: September 25, 2017, 05:07:57 PM »
Was the lower price possibly due to the fact that the imagery was printed crooked (veering slightly to the right?)

Another copy for comparison:

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:09:37 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8012 on: September 25, 2017, 05:30:45 PM »
A lot of the 1-sheets are crooked -- nearly all of them I've seen anyway.  I would imagine the straight copy you found is the outlier.

And yes, the quad is wicked rare.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8013 on: September 25, 2017, 08:22:36 PM »
I ALWAYS bid at the 5 minutes mark since I can't snipe, and within the last 3 seconds on EBay. 

Exactly.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8014 on: September 25, 2017, 08:28:30 PM »
While the Beauty and the Beast result is surprising, surely no one is surprised that HA knocks things out of the park weekly.

They "only" sell 400-500 items a week, but consistently bring in totals of $40-50K a week with tons of strong results.
A couple of weeks ago they sold this Barbarella Style B for over $2500 (https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/science-fiction/barbarella-paramount-1968-one-sheet-27-x-41-style-b-science-fiction/a/161737-52026.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515), when the last result I see from another seller on this piece is less than $600.
Like most high end rollers at HA, two non-movie poster collectors deciding to buy a movie poster for this first time.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8015 on: September 25, 2017, 08:29:29 PM »
We all have specific ways of bidding.  Matt bids the day of, I think.  I ALWAYS bid at the 5 minutes mark since I can't snipe, and within the last 3 seconds on EBay.  If I can't do it, I miss it.

T

And with emp, doing that extends the auction by 5 more minutes, allowing others to play the last minute game, too.  waiting1

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8016 on: September 25, 2017, 08:49:36 PM »
And with emp, doing that extends the auction by 5 more minutes, allowing others to play the last minute game, too.  waiting1
if you bid slightly before the 5 minute mark, like +5:01, you're good and under the radar like.  Tricks of the trade  thumbsup.gif

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8017 on: September 25, 2017, 09:11:52 PM »
Yes.  I honestly don't understand people who bid early on these auctions.  Sometimes you see posters that are obviously going to sell for more than $1,000, and some people bid $30 early on and never again.  Did they actually think they would get the item for $30?  I don't get the logic.  Anyone?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8018 on: September 25, 2017, 10:03:25 PM »
if you bid slightly before the 5 minute mark, like +5:01, you're good and under the radar like.  Tricks of the trade  thumbsup.gif

5 min is a long time.. more than likely, someone who wants a piece will bid again, extending the time, once more. It happens all the time.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8019 on: September 25, 2017, 10:31:54 PM »
I've said it before.  An extended bid auction can have several strategies.  However, bidding $1 more than the other guy is seldom the right one.  This is proxy bidding, and all you accomplish is to raise both your and the other guy's blood pressure.

My strategy is and always has been to bid the highest price where I won't feel bad about losing the item if I'm outbid.  I generally place this last bid in the last hour before closing, AND THEN TURN OFF THE BROWSER.  People are always inching up the bid, and I can't stop them, but I think in some cases constantly being automatically overbid by my proxy causes some to drop out earlier than they might have if we were trading high bids in extended bidding.

In large auctions with staggered closing times, I will come back halfway through and maker a budget decision whether to raise my bid on later items, but I still don't wait for the hammer time.  I either won or I didn't.

Yeah, I lose some, but I never wake up the next day with buyers regret.  I also take the results to heart for future bids. If I bid $100 on poster X and it eventually went for $200, I know I'm going to need to decide if it is worth $250 to me and bid that the next time.  And heck, I sometimes win something I bid $150 on for $30.  Good feeling there.

There are very few items out there that are once in a lifetime opportunities.
-Jay-

guest4531

« Reply #8020 on: September 26, 2017, 01:50:45 AM »
Yes.  I honestly don't understand people who bid early on these auctions.  Sometimes you see posters that are obviously going to sell for more than $1,000, and some people bid $30 early on and never again.  Did they actually think they would get the item for $30?  I don't get the logic.  Anyone?

T

I do throw lower bid on expensive poster, a way to monitor results when auctions end as I can just go to "My bids".  Bad logic I know :p

guest4531

« Reply #8021 on: September 26, 2017, 02:19:18 AM »
Like most high end rollers at HA, two non-movie poster collectors deciding to buy a movie poster for this first time.

It could be a strategy to pass the 2,000 USD consignment treshold at HA.   Ahaha, "Dear HA, based on previous results, my two posters for consignment are valued 2250 usd"...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8022 on: September 26, 2017, 09:13:19 AM »

Why do you think (or how do you know) that the high end bidders and winners at HA's auctions are non-movie poster collectors?

Im thinking that many of the deep pocketed folks who bid there are serious (yet quiet) collectors with major collections.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8023 on: September 26, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »
Not mid-auction, but a "mid-BIN."

This Japanese poster, for the film, Ugetsu (1953), listed for a Buy it Now of $6500.00   faint2.gif
It measures 27x39 inches.

I really like the imagery, regardless.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UGETSU-1953-Rare-39x27-poster-for-Japanese-cinema-classic-CLEAN-design-trifold/221801527578?hash=item33a466b91a%3Ag%3A4ZwAAOSwl8NVfhRM

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8024 on: September 26, 2017, 02:55:51 PM »

This Japanese poster, for the film, Ugetsu (1953), listed for a Buy it Now of $6500.00   faint2.gif
It measures 27x39 inches.

That's a very strange size, wonder if Walter measured it correctly.
www.Kaijuposters.com