Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2212679 times)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #275 on: November 01, 2010, 05:22:14 PM »
"0" because it won't sell.  Let's see, six 24sh and a standee for 1.9M.  To make the math easier for me, that would be 300K per 24sh & 100K for the standee.  Sounds reasonable  laugh1 

So, I should'nt refinance my house for a poster?  ;)
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #276 on: November 02, 2010, 09:26:01 AM »
Also, I got two unreleased Grindhouse one sheets for $30 each.  

Unfortunately, I've been informed they overnight increased the price to $150 each. They had several copies of each.  It's possible - and perhaps probable - that someone on this board contacted them and advised that the price was too low.  Very disappointing that we cannot have an open and collaborative discussion about prices and poster sources on this board due to certain members.  That's the last time I'll be open and collaborative. Also I could have bought all of them and resold them but I didn't want to be greedy.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #277 on: November 02, 2010, 09:40:13 AM »
Or when you found them in the price book they realized their error. They sold to you anyway at charity prices so as not to jeapordize a relationship with a new customer, but then changed them afterwards.

Just an alternate speculative story... everything isn't always a conspiracy :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #278 on: November 02, 2010, 10:41:53 AM »
Or when you found them in the price book they realized their error. They sold to you anyway at charity prices so as not to jeapordize a relationship with a new customer, but then changed them afterwards.

Just an alternate speculative story... everything isn't always a conspiracy :)

They encouraged me to buy extras for trading.  Either way I should have kept my mouth shut!

Course I haven't blabbed about all the hidden gems they have.  That's my secret....

tstatum

« Reply #279 on: November 02, 2010, 12:13:06 PM »

Or it could be probable or possible that as a poster dealer they browse the boards on occasion

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #280 on: November 02, 2010, 01:38:01 PM »
Anyway, I wouldn't pay huge money for those Grindhouse posters.  They occasionally pop up on Ebay and go for $40-$50.  Brude got one of them a couple of months ago.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #281 on: November 02, 2010, 11:57:56 PM »
Unfortunately, I've been informed they overnight increased the price to $150 each. They had several copies of each.  It's possible - and perhaps probable - that someone on this board contacted them and advised that the price was too low.  Very disappointing that we cannot have an open and collaborative discussion about prices and poster sources on this board due to certain members.  That's the last time I'll be open and collaborative. Also I could have bought all of them and resold them but I didn't want to be greedy.

I dont understand this post. Sorry if I am slow.
Your upset that you got a bargain, then after the fact, the seller somehow found out and raised their price?
And that it probably came about due to this forum?

Not only sounds paranoid, but also like its another US and THEM post, where its good for the buyer to get a bargain, and the dealer shouldn't try and sell for full value, (Damn Greedy Dealers).
I have no idea what this poster is worth, personally I wouldn't pay $10 - but then I am not a fan.
But a dealer should be able to ask whatever price they want, this isn't Air or water, just pretty bits of paper, buy if you like it, can afford it, and feel its fair, Don't if you don't, the sun rises again regardless.

re the forum to blame. Its a great forum, and no offence (I run one also) but all the Movie poster forums combined, don't cover most of the people buying posters, if that was true, we would have thousands posting here, and elsewhere - or there would only be a handful of buyers.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #282 on: November 03, 2010, 11:24:58 AM »
And which Grindhouse are we talking about the time difference one or the red style with McGowen taking center stage?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #283 on: November 04, 2010, 01:51:07 PM »
Anybody who tries to bid tonight on the poster(s) I'm bidding on is in for a world of pain!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #284 on: November 07, 2010, 10:07:37 PM »
It will be interesting to see how much THE BRIDE brings....it has been a BIN regular on Ebay now for -- I believe -- $1.25 million...
Smart money will be on "reserve not met"

No shit.  $600K and counting... whether or not it hits the reserve, it is already higher than I thought it would go!

By the way, that $117K Buyer's Premium has to be a tough pill to swallow!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #285 on: November 07, 2010, 10:30:42 PM »
Smart money will be on "reserve not met"
No shit.  $600K and counting... whether or not it hits the reserve, it is already higher than I thought it would go!
By the way, that $117K Buyer's Premium has to be a tough pill to swallow!

I believe that the reserve has been met and it isn't $117k premium if you do your math right
it's $717,000 bid

by the way.. I think current bid is the highest price ever paid publicly for a poster and while it isn't the hisghest price offered for a poster, I don't believe anything has sold for more

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Bruce

« Reply #286 on: November 07, 2010, 10:37:42 PM »
Rich

Yesterday it was $575,000 with NO RESERVE next to it.

Today it is $600,000 with "Reserve not met" under it.

Sounds like someone had a change of heart since yesterday.

And it does say the BP is $117,000. So if it sells, it is the new world record for a movie poster. And if it doesn't sell, it will still be the world record highest price for a poster that didn't sell.

Bruce

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #287 on: November 07, 2010, 10:40:50 PM »
I wonder if Heritage is putting some pressure on Todd to let it sell? (they probably have an interest of $150,000 or more with BP and their other fees at stake in the poster!)
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #288 on: November 07, 2010, 11:08:46 PM »
Rich

Yesterday it was $575,000 with NO RESERVE next to it.

Today it is $600,000 with "Reserve not met" under it.

Sounds like someone had a change of heart since yesterday.

And it does say the BP is $117,000. So if it sells, it is the new world record for a movie poster. And if it doesn't sell, it will still be the world record highest price for a poster that didn't sell.

Bruce

that must be aggravating to bidders

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #289 on: November 09, 2010, 10:45:31 PM »
Anybody ever bought a 24 sheet? 242" x 104" - freaking ginormous....

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #290 on: November 10, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »
Seriously what could anyone do with a 24 sheet?  It would have to stay permanently stored away...
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #291 on: November 11, 2010, 08:30:55 AM »
The reserve on Frankenstein is $600,000.   Will it make it?  Where are all the crazy Japanese spenders from yesteryear when you need them?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #292 on: November 11, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »
This guy has tried selling this and a few other Uni-Horror posters several times. It was up for( in the voice of Dr Evil ) $1,000,000, at one point. Why not put them in Christies, or let Bruce sell them if you want rid. Or just send them to me, I'll find space for them ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #293 on: November 11, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »
This guy has tried selling this and a few other Uni-Horror posters several times. It was up for( in the voice of Dr Evil ) $1,000,000, at one point. Why not put them in Christies, or let Bruce sell them if you want rid. Or just send them to me, I'll find space for them ;D

What I wonder Paul is if he really has any intention of selling it or the other posters that have been listed on eBay.  I really think it could be part of a marketing partnership between the consignor and Heritage to advertisement this "major auction".  Doesn't it look great and draw everyone's attention to the other posters on auction with the Bride splashed all over the auction catalogue and auction handouts?  Not to mention the byline "Will it set the world record price for a poster sale???"... 
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #294 on: November 11, 2010, 01:13:05 PM »
I didn't know about the Heritage sale, I give up looking at that site quite a while ago for one reason or another. Perhaps I should keep my finger on the pulse a bit more.
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #295 on: November 11, 2010, 01:29:02 PM »
What I wonder Paul is if he really has any intention of selling it or the other posters that have been listed on eBay.  I really think it could be part of a marketing partnership between the consignor and Heritage to advertisement this "major auction".  Doesn't it look great and draw everyone's attention to the other posters on auction with the Bride splashed all over the auction catalogue and auction handouts?  Not to mention the byline "Will it set the world record price for a poster sale???"... 

Come on, Chris. A "marketing partnership" to keep posters on Ebay for years and then put them up on Heritage?  Maybe Big Foot is living in Rock Creek Park behind my apartment too.

He's probably just like most sellers, e.g. Cinemasterpieces, etc.  Stick it up for a high "buy it now" price and hope somebody buys it.  If it doesn't sell, put it up for auction.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #296 on: November 11, 2010, 01:56:23 PM »
Come on, Chris. A "marketing partnership" to keep posters on Ebay for years and then put them up on Heritage?  Maybe Big Foot is living in Rock Creek Park behind my apartment too.

He's probably just like most sellers, e.g. Cinemasterpieces, etc.  Stick it up for a high "buy it now" price and hope somebody buys it.  If it doesn't sell, put it up for auction.

You misunderstood Mel.  I was not implying there was a marketing partnership in placing the posters on eBay - eBay really was nothing to do with it other then when the seller/consignor wanted to advertise all his great posters himself.

I was questioning a partnership between Heritage and the consignor (Todd) in placing the Bride in this auction.  I am not saying there actually is one, just raising the issue.  Why does this particular consignor's poster get splashed about everywhere and not someone else's?  Of course it's a rare poster, likely the only one still extant - BUT I am wagering that Todd gets a special deal on all the consignment fees etc (these are always negotiable) to place the Bride in the auction.

This discussion really comes out of the changing reserve price as noted before.  Theoretically the reserve could continue to increase until the final second of the auction thereby suggesting no actual intent to sell the poster and making it a marketing ploy :)
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #297 on: November 11, 2010, 02:11:17 PM »
The next bid is $717,000 (with buyer's fee) so the reserve is clearly $717,000.  All the final reserves for all the posters have been posted.  Heritage estimates it will go for $700-$900, so there seems to be no doubt they will take that price for it. (Which would be a record right?)

They've auctioned other stuff from Fiertag and there's no apparent reason there's anything improper at all about their "relationship." If this sells, it will get Heritage big press, so they probably did cut him a deal on this.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #298 on: November 11, 2010, 02:16:23 PM »
The reserve is clearly $717,000 (with buyer's fee).  All the final reserves for all the posters have been posted.  

I am fairly confident there are no "final reserve prices" in any Heritage auction.  I don't have their fine print policy in front of me, but I do recall an earlier discussion about this in which it was stated the reserve can change at any time and is not "locked in".
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #299 on: November 11, 2010, 02:17:59 PM »
I am fairly confident there are no "final reserve prices" in any Heritage auction.  I don't have their fine print policy in front of me, but I do recall an earlier discussion about this in which it was stated the reserve can change at any time and is not "locked in".

Read the * text: "*Reserve Not Met. A reserve has been posted on this lot, but no bids have met the reserve. The next bid will meet the reserve."  That contractually binds them to accept the next bid which is clearly stated:

Minimum Next Bid: $600,000 ($717,000.00 w/BP)