Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2212974 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6250 on: November 14, 2014, 07:15:38 PM »
I don't know what it is but I can't see it being that vintage and if so not Aussie and we'll just looks like a commercial poster to me.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6251 on: November 14, 2014, 11:03:33 PM »
I don't know what it is but I can't see it being that vintage and if so not Aussie and well just looks like a commercial poster to me.

Seems spot on there, Ari.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6252 on: November 14, 2014, 11:47:04 PM »
I don't know what it is but I can't see it being that vintage and if so not Aussie and we'll just looks like a commercial poster to me.

Smarty pants
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6253 on: November 15, 2014, 01:43:02 AM »
A very similar design was released over here last year...same kind of paper too looking at it.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6254 on: November 15, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »
Great minds, Jason.

I did the same thing.  ;)

So I got a reply from the Dracula seller. He wrote:

"Hi Jeff.

Thanks so much for your patience!

After looking very closely at the fold line on the front, I would say that it has been touched up. By shining very bright light onto it, you see a difference in the reflections, with the touched up line being a little dull- but a pretty subtle difference under normal light! I would thereof speculate that this must have been done years ago, with the paper developing some patina over it?! Color used seems to have spread out a bit on the front- probably a soluble colorant-, but absolutely no bleeding through in the lower left quadrant of the folded out poster to be found verso.
But still, a very unusual piece of Dracula movie memorabilia with the geometric alien-like green Dracula on the inside, really reminding me more of Nosferatu, than the Dracula "without teeth" in this movie...
Let me know, if I can be of any additional help!"

So it sounds like it had some kind of touch up, maybe  number of years, ago. And if water soluble, like the seller speculates, then not a totally bad thing, as any restorer might also have touched up that fold line, had there been ink breaks or small holes or tears. The good thing too, no bleed thru to the verso, so that's good. That re-touching might also be able to be removed, if desired, too.

And that -- is the rest of the story.  :)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:36:59 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #6255 on: November 15, 2014, 12:38:02 PM »

"Hi Jeff.

After looking very closely at the fold line on the front, I would say that it has been touched up. By shining very bright light onto it, you see a difference in the reflections, with the touched up line being a little dull- but a pretty subtle difference under normal light! I would thereof speculate that this must have been done years ago, with the paper developing some patina over it?! Color used seems to have spread out a bit on the front- probably a soluble colorant-, but absolutely no bleeding through in the lower left quadrant of the folded out poster to be found verso.
But still, a very unusual piece of Dracula movie memorabilia with the geometric alien-like green Dracula on the inside, really reminding me more of Nosferatu, than the Dracula "without teeth" in this movie...

So it sounds like it had some kind of touch up, maybe  number of years, ago. And if water soluble, like the seller speculates, then not a totally bad thing, as any restorer might also have touched up that fold line, had there been ink breaks or small holes or tears. The good thing too, no bleed thru to the verso, so that's good. That re-touching might also be able to be removed, if desired, too.

And that -- is the rest of the story.  :)

thanks Paul Harvey, thats what i thought too :) waiting for my copy pasted response from him as well :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:40:52 PM by jedgerley »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6256 on: November 15, 2014, 12:42:06 PM »
thanks Paul Harvey, thats what i thought too :) waiting for my copy pasted response from him as well :)

You got it!

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6257 on: November 15, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »
This image always worked SO well for me, as a RR poster.  thumbsup.gif

BIN: $1250.00

Link: White Zombie 1938 RR OS

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:19:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6258 on: November 15, 2014, 01:12:04 PM »
...and I would imagine that an authentic  'Zombie Grip' tutorial would get ten times that!
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #6259 on: November 15, 2014, 01:41:10 PM »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLOCKWORK-ORANGE-Very-Rare-Original-Vintage-1970s-Advance-OS-Movie-Poster-/321554449346?pt=AU_Movie_Memorabilia&hash=item4ade2383c2

Description & Condition: You are bidding on a 1971 rare and hard-to-find rolled Australian advance one-sheet poster with a light scratch lower left-hand-side border edge and a couple of minor scuffs along the bottom edge (see photos of actual poster) but otherwise in fine to very fine condition. This is the very rare advance sheet with the nude girls to the right side of Malcolm McDowell’s head. The regular advance sheet had those nude images blacked out. This is not a reproduction or reprint poster, it is a genuine original vintage 1971 Australian theatre release colour one-sheet poster distributed by Warner Brothers and dated ©1971 bottom right corner of the poster.

Its available on Amazon, 27x39.  I message the seller to double check the measurements of his poster, which he states as 27x40

http://www.amazon.com/Kubricks-Clockwork-Orange-Style-Poster/dp/B00NP1EZIE/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1416076461&sr=8-19&keywords=clockwork+orange+poster

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6260 on: November 15, 2014, 08:47:52 PM »
This image always worked SO well for me, as a RR poster.  thumbsup.gif

BIN: $1250.00

Link: White Zombie 1938 RR OS

This has been for sale for what seems like forever (had to finally delete it from the watch list because I was starting to fall victim to the zombie eyes)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6261 on: November 15, 2014, 09:23:28 PM »
This has been for sale for what seems like forever (had to finally delete it from the watch list because I was starting to fall victim to the zombie eyes)

the eyes that hypnotize......
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 09:24:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6262 on: November 16, 2014, 01:31:34 PM »

"Hi Jeff.

So it sounds like it had some kind of touch up, maybe  number of years, ago. And if water soluble, like the seller speculates, then not a totally bad thing, as any restorer might also have touched up that fold line, had there been ink breaks or small holes or tears. The good thing too, no bleed thru to the verso, so that's good. That re-touching might also be able to be removed, if desired, too.

And that -- is the rest of the story.  :)

Not quite the rest.. the seller followed up with one last comment, as he checked the solubility of the black that was used to touch the fold up. He wrote:

"The colour seems to come off with water- I tried to carefully dab it off, in one tiny area, with a slightly wetted, white cloth and it tainted black. Same procedure applied to a different black spot situated off the fold line: no marking off to be observed.

I guess that somebody with a hand for paper restoration could get it back into its original condition without going through too much trouble."

So it sounds like a water color pencil or wash of some kind was used to touch up that crease. Good to know, on the chance any new owner might want that touch up removed.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6263 on: November 17, 2014, 12:33:40 AM »
A BIN of $5867 USD and change.... with a good number of tape residue stains along the border, all the way around.

Link: 1964 Thunderball Quad

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:48:59 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #6264 on: November 20, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »
This Thunderball quad is actually pretty great. The tape doesn't scare me away at all, but it is overpriced. Next to no paper loss and vivid/saturated colors are all there...the biggies.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6265 on: November 20, 2014, 12:00:09 PM »
Someone must be after some mark up, as I was offered that Thunderball Quad last year for £300....

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6266 on: November 20, 2014, 12:07:09 PM »
Someone must be after some mark up, as I was offered that Thunderball Quad last year for £300....

Table scraps -> Matt  moron1

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6267 on: November 20, 2014, 12:37:35 PM »
I'm sure I offered it you Matt.

Check you emails from last year...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6268 on: November 20, 2014, 12:39:15 PM »

Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6269 on: November 20, 2014, 01:39:33 PM »

All I could find was a brief mention during our discussion of the UK Son of Frank... these two comments were buried in large emails:

Oct. 11th 2012 Paul: If you are still looking for Connery Bond stuff, I may have a Thunderball, and You only live twice style C, lead....?
Oct. 11th 2012 Matt: And definitely let me know about the Bond quads... I'm missing nearly all of the Connerys.

As far as I can see, you never followed up after that.  Don't worry, I forgive you... you just owe me 300 GBP Thunderball  ;)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6270 on: November 20, 2014, 01:39:54 PM »
With tape is fine of course!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6271 on: November 20, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »
Must apologise Matt, I thought you had said no to it.... :-\

I'll keep a look out.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:46:50 PM by paul waines »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6272 on: November 20, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
Paul - how much you charging for your poster locating services there days?  I will need it in CAN $ (since the currency is nearly worthless internationally these days)  ;)
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6273 on: November 20, 2014, 01:55:27 PM »
I'm really cheap Chris, my price is £free...    :D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6274 on: November 20, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »
I'm really cheap Chris, my price is £free...    :D

Great!  I will ask another question then - when you moving to Australia?   ;D
Chris