Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2212975 times)

Charlie

Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3475 on: January 24, 2013, 10:15:46 PM »
WTF? for a sequel...  Neo explain it to me!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3476 on: January 24, 2013, 10:24:20 PM »
This is actually a fair price for this poster.  I cannot tell you how many people have asked me if I would sell mine.  Over the year, at least 20.  I was offered $1,000 at some point.  There was a guy on this forum (can't remember his name now) who was desperately trying to find one.  They are EXTREMELY rare, and for any BTTF fans, an absolute must have, probably even more so than any other BTTF posters.  I had it on my watch list and was going to buy another one if it didn't go above $300.  But it did, and I actually forgot about today's sale.  I went jogging instead.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3477 on: January 24, 2013, 10:33:13 PM »
I saw BTTF2 in the theater when I was a young'un, and it's one of my favorite movies, and I like cars, and time-traveling.  8)  This poster is a great representation of the movie.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3478 on: January 25, 2013, 12:48:01 AM »
So whoever bought my BTTF vays site video one sheet for ten bucks prob is happy.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3479 on: January 25, 2013, 05:18:09 AM »
Skyfall Imax poster
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2843082

vs

Skyfall Imax poster
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYFALL-IMAX-13X20-PROMO-MOVIE-POSTER-/150984529513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2327611669

Jesus!  Just nuts.

Doesn't bode well for a 'deal' for other such posters as it seems there are buyers attracted entirely by Bruce's well deserved service to the total exclusion of sense.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #3480 on: January 25, 2013, 05:32:27 AM »
This is actually a fair price for this poster....  There was a guy on this forum...who was desperately trying to find one.  They are EXTREMELY rare, and for any BTTF fans, an absolute must have, probably even more so than any other BTTF posters.....
T

There were TWO guys trying to find one. Joneyyy......and myself. A couple of years ago Joneyyy acquired two and sold me one. Bruce under-promoted this exceedingly rare poster in his description and it languished at the $6 level for days. I couldn't overlook a bargain and bid up to $400. This poster from the beloved film series prominently features the De Lorean - and has one of the greatest taglines on a modern poster. Whilst it is non-theatrical it was not possible to purchase it either because of the financial troubles of the marketing company responsible for selling it and most were rumoured to have been destroyed. Given the cross-over appeal to the BTTF fan base and modern movie poster collectors I agree with Thierry that the price was reasonable.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:33:59 AM by marklawd »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3481 on: January 25, 2013, 05:34:12 AM »
This is actually a fair price for this poster.  I cannot tell you how many people have asked me if I would sell mine.  Over the year, at least 20.  I was offered $1,000 at some point.  There was a guy on this forum (can't remember his name now) who was desperately trying to find one.  They are EXTREMELY rare, and for any BTTF fans, an absolute must have, probably even more so than any other BTTF posters.  I had it on my watch list and was going to buy another one if it didn't go above $300.  But it did, and I actually forgot about today's sale.  I went jogging instead.

T

Straight on. Cinemasterpieces (and the like) would have no problem selling this for $3,000.  I've had this poster in the Rare showcase on MPC forever.  I spotted this last week and was pretty sure it would not "slip under the radar" even though it was not promoted.  

I think the price was slightly suppressed because three of these have popped up for sale in the last couple of years.  I know Jon found 2 and another one sold on Ebay.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:37:19 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Bruce

« Reply #3482 on: January 25, 2013, 06:06:23 AM »
Like Mel says, the buyer got it for less than one-third of the Cinemasterpieces price!

There are always bargains and real steals in eMoviePoster.com auctions!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3483 on: January 25, 2013, 09:28:30 AM »
While rare, the last batch that hit the market have sold for 200 and 300 respectfully, so 800+ is quite a jump in market from where they had been selling.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3484 on: January 25, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »
I contacted the bttf.com site, inquiring about their sales of this poster. I just got a reply from them. A few years ago, they had acquired 5 copies. They sold out almost immediately.

Their listed sales price was $199.88

http://www.bttf.net/Roads_Advance_poster_25_x38_p/advance-c.htm

And, naturally, other sellers can list this poster at whatever price they want. It doesn't necessarily mean it will ever sell at that price.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3485 on: January 25, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
I got mine in 2008 for $155.51 on Ebay.  The runner-up was the owner of BTTF.com.  But that was before the poster was posted all over the place on forums and gained in popularity.  This poster could have easily crossed $1k if it had been listed among OSs, and not among travel posters.

T

BTW, BTTF.com hasn't had this poster for sale in at least 5 or 6 years.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:54:51 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3486 on: January 25, 2013, 02:59:38 PM »
I got mine in 2008 for $155.51 on Ebay.  The runner-up was the owner of BTTF.com.  But that was before the poster was posted all over the place on forums and gained in popularity.  This poster could have easily crossed $1k if it had been listed among OSs, and not among travel posters.

T

BTW, BTTF.com hasn't had this poster for sale in at least 5 or 6 years.

I guess bttf's "several years" response = 5-6 years.

It's always that vague definition of what "several" means. LOL

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3487 on: January 25, 2013, 03:06:48 PM »
There are very few copies of this poster.  BTTF.com got a batch.  I tried to get it from the site, but missed.  I got mine a couple years later and was surprised to see the owner of BTTF.com in the running.  I don't think he realized what he had when he sold them on his site.  Heck, I didn't even know about them until then, and I've been collecting BTTF for quite some time.  Truth be told, though, that's how posters gain in value.  The fact that we're talking about it now is increasing its value.  The next one will be even harder to get.  Lur-kers are probably noticing.

T
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:07:38 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3488 on: January 25, 2013, 03:20:28 PM »
I'm just gonna go to kinko's print my own, single sided 25"x39" so I wouldnt recommend buying anymore now  ;)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3489 on: January 25, 2013, 05:15:28 PM »
I'm just gonna go to kinko's print my own, single sided 25"x39" so I wouldnt recommend buying anymore now  ;)

I want to use one for a dartboard

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3490 on: January 26, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »

laugh1

Good thinking, man.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3491 on: January 26, 2013, 06:00:18 PM »
For sure, Matias.   ;)

$840.00 for a commercial (and more scarce) poster.

Amazing!

I dunno about amazing but it's something!
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3492 on: January 26, 2013, 06:02:39 PM »
While rare, the last batch that hit the market have sold for 200 and 300 respectfully, so 800+ is quite a jump in market from where they had been selling.

clap
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3493 on: January 26, 2013, 06:04:06 PM »
Truth be told, though, that's how posters gain in value.  The fact that we're talking about it now is increasing its value.  The next one will be even harder to get.  Lur-kers are probably noticing.

T

Too bad you have a selling moratorium eh?  ;)
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3494 on: January 29, 2013, 10:02:43 PM »
Like Mel says, the buyer got it for less than one-third of the Cinemasterpieces price!

So they paid a more realistic price then...or is Dave's prices the standard guide now?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3495 on: January 29, 2013, 11:35:27 PM »
Too bad you have a selling moratorium eh?  ;)

It is not a selling moratorium, Chris.  It is about the fact that I'm fucking lazy and refuse to deal with the US post office.  I also don't want to dig into my piles, pull out stuff, tube it, write labels and other shit like that.  I could sell a lot of my stuff, especially all the doubles, but it is waaaaay too time consuming.  Plus, since I'm baked half the time, I would probably send stuff to wrong addresses.

T
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:36:24 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3496 on: January 29, 2013, 11:48:52 PM »
 Plus, since I'm baked half the time, I would probably send stuff to wrong addresses.

T
Really appreciate you revealing this because now I understand 85% of your posts.

:)

I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3497 on: January 29, 2013, 11:50:15 PM »
French and baked... nice combo!

cheers
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3498 on: January 29, 2013, 11:53:12 PM »
French fry!

I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3499 on: January 29, 2013, 11:55:33 PM »
French, baked, drunk and liberal.  That's me right now.  Can you beat it?
My Personal Collection