Author Topic: Other Offerings at Cannes in 2014  (Read 4271 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Other Offerings at Cannes in 2014
« on: May 19, 2014, 12:42:19 PM »
An article (first posted this AM to MOPO by Rudy Franchi) talking about those many other films that made their way to Cannes this year, most in hopes of being picked up for distribution (or selling those distribution rights). The article also includes a number of posters... some look to be real "winners."  ;D

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2014/05/18/from-asteroid-vs-earth-to-god-loves-caviar-the-best-of-the-weirdest-movie-posters-at-cannes/

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:45:33 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Other Offerings at Cannes in 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:52:19 PM »
An article (first posted this AM to MOPO by Rudy Franchi) talking about those many other films that made their way to Cannes this year, most in hopes of being picked up for distribution. The article also includes a number of posters... some look to be real "winners."  ;D

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2014/05/18/from-asteroid-vs-earth-to-god-loves-caviar-the-best-of-the-weirdest-movie-posters-at-cannes/

Most of these posters are only designed for Cannes, sometimes on a very limited budget.  Companies from all around the world converge to the Marché du Film and try to sell their products the best they can, but a movie from Bangladesh will have a hard time competing against Hollywood fare. 

I remember when I first went to Cannes in the 80s, Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus of the Cannon Group were taking entire pages in the trades to advertize movies that did not even exist, using the likes of Stallone, Norris and Schwarzenegger to promote movies that would never see the light of day.  They had very colorful posters, big names and action scenes very expertly packaged to attract foreign investors.

What a sham.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »
I have a friend who has been attending the Film Market in Cannes and other film festivals, for years. She has contracts with certain airlines to get films onto their flights. I went with her once a number of years ago, and she would often talk of the 'mounds of material' and the visual barrage with these kind of posters put up at all the booths.. all in the hopes of being picked up somewhere, or somehow.

Cannes was an amazing place and beautiful- especially the old section. It was like walking back in time. And we had a great time, there, too.   thumbup

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 01:56:16 PM »
We have a vacation home in Villefranche sur Mer, which is not far from Cannes, so I used to go there a lot and I remember how nice it was before they built the Bunker.  It actually used to be about movies and people who love them before agents and lawyers took over and made it a dirty town more concerned about money than the art of movies.  Now I avoid Cannes at all cost.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)