Author Topic: Fake B1 Alert: I bet you can guess which one!  (Read 3776 times)

Carson

Fake B1 Alert: I bet you can guess which one!
« on: May 26, 2010, 07:20:08 PM »
My Neighbor Totoro of course. Could it be any other?

Has the key ingredients: Globally popular Ghibli film, hit poster design, and single sided on regular stock.

The Totoro poster was quite tough for a while there during the early 2000s. Around late 2007 I began noting a good number of them surfacing. Even more in 2008. Then during and well into 2009 I couldn't turn around without seeing the dumb bunny at the bus stop. Well, guess what, there's a reason for that.  thumbup

A much prized 1988 release shouldn't, on average, be popping up once a week 20 years later; I was certain at least some of the ones I'd seen sold over the last year were fake so I finally sacrificed the cash and bought the regular release B1 and tie-up video B1. As it arrived, as always, I photographed the poster to be archived in iPhoto. I noticed some dust on the paper when taking the shot so went to wipe it away and the dust wouldn't move. Took a closer look and, as suspected, easily visible was the dust, lint, hair and fine particles of filth of a scanned reprint. I hadn't begun my inspection and already, it was obvious it was a fugazi; it's most certianly a fake. A bootleg made from a low-ish grade flatbed scanner.  The two posters (the regular release B1 and the video B1) are almost always seen in pair.  I'm sending the fake/bootleg to a friend on the forum with an original for side by side pics. I'll post back with the images.

wonka

Re: Fake B1 Alert: I bet you can guess which one!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »
Well, this has my interest at a peak.  I am both terrified and interested in seeing the pictures.

I bought one a couple years ago and it is framed in my daughter's room.

Post pics when you can, Carson...I wonder if I bought from the same source, sigh...going upstairs to hopefully not see any scanned dust and hair.  (where should I look?) 

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:47:27 PM »
I have one 2 that I need to check.

wonka

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 09:15:15 PM »
Well, I had my face up against the poster as my daughter stared at me like I was a lunatic (she's right).

I didn't see any dust, hair, dirt, etc...and the lettering, especially the white down the middle, was particularly sharp.  When I bought it, it had those two 'phantom folds' like the top and bottom ends were laid inward and have since been flattened because of the framing.

I feel better about this, but would still like to see pics...

Carson! Let's go!  Don't get me all crazy and leave...

Carson

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 09:48:42 PM »
If you have "fold waves" I'd say you're more than safe, Ben. And to be sure, so as not to create any undue anxiety, all I am stating is that the one I received is not authentic and, usually, that indicates others.

Consider, we're talking about a 22 year old film that won numerous awards including the Mainichi Film Award, Kinema Junpo Award and Animage Grand Prix best film '88; one of the most quintessential, awarded, most regarded anime film's to date and 22 years later the B1, a relatively rare format, can be had readily on eBay and has appeared a peak number of times at auction in 2008 and 2009 alone. I do not believe it's deliberate on part of auctioneers.

With the poster in hand it could not be more apparent. I have others of that region from early and mid 80s and, needless to say, my other B1 from that decade are without lint, dust, dirt and pubic hair. The Totoro B1, in contrast, shows a scattering of small dust, lint and dirt particles and the over all color is muted. At first glance the dust appears actual, when you attempt to wipe them away it's clear they're scanned physical artifacts trapped between the original poster and the glass of the flatbed. I'll take close ups of the issue and post them up at noon tomorrow for you all to form your own conclusions.

wonka

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 10:26:32 PM »
Thanks for the added info and upcoming pics, Carson.

At extremely close inspection, mine has those printers marks, you know, the teeny tiny white patterns that are impossible to see unless you are right up on it.  I bet a repro would have said marks blurry if at all...you know the ones I am talking about?

Also, the pink text in the upper right corner is a very vivid pink, as are the rest of the colors.  This makes me feel better after your color commentary here, Carson.

I will take close up pics tomorrow of mine for the sake of the betterment of the discussion at hand, but it is dark and my daughter is sleeping, so the hard core macro stuff will have to wait, obviously.  For the heck of it, here is a pic of the poster in question hanging on the wall, image and colors are much more sharper and vivid than my camera allows here:

Carson

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 11:06:12 PM »
I can tell you from the pink alone mine's a more muted/lighter tone. It'll be tough to capture the fine dust and dirt in the image but I think the posters coloring will speak for itself. Yours looks fantastic, Ben.

The posters I'm concerned with are from an international seller, all rolled posters, no fold waves, and were trickled regularly over the last year. As the price meandered lower, the seller began moving them at a faster clip and sold for an increasingly lessor rate. In brief: unless the paper was trailed across a local high school gymnasium floor before printing, there shouldn't be dust and debris of this sort on a properly commercially printed poster.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 11:15:03 PM »
Did they actually reproduce the B1 size or did the morph it into a 27x40 the way moviegoods does?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 11:16:40 PM »
Ah, this made me look at my copy again and it was sooo nice to see it! 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

wonka

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 11:31:09 PM »
Well, I will sleep a bit better tonight.  Thank you for the reassurance, Carson.  Regardless, I will still post some closer pics, perhaps more to mirror the ones you post for comparison purposes.

Carson, can you post the name of the seller in question, or if you are not cool with that at this point in the case, do you mind sending me that info via a PM?  I have some other info on these, maybe our notes are the same...

Holiday, yep, she's a beauty.  An incredible poster, for an incredible movie.

I encourage anyone who hasn't seen it or any of over Miyazaki's stuff to do so ASAP.  Talk about a master at his craft...Lucas ain't got nothing on that guy in terms of raw creativity and storytelling.

wonka

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »
Well, I managed to take a few macro pics, but it was hard because of the crazy glare I had to combat.  Hope this helps, especially in terms of seeing the print quality/sharpness along with the dot matrix (thanks, Carson).

Carson

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 03:43:29 PM »
Great shots, Wonka. Here's the Totoro reprint at 27 x 39.5 Those are my folds not the sellers.

Surely you can see what I mean by the muted pinks and overall color loss from the scan; and the Eirin is clearly out of whack.