Author Topic: French Star Wars poster  (Read 4363 times)

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
French Star Wars poster
« on: March 03, 2014, 01:44:52 PM »
French Star Wars poster (40x60).......Any ideas on what its worth?  Also, does it make sense to linen back it or just leave it as is?

There are 2 holes at the folds near the bottom of the poster.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:45:45 PM by AjTheGreat »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: French Star Wars poster
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 01:50:14 PM »
Nice!

I learned the hard way never to buy a post-1960 linenbacked poster (or linenback same). It's not necessary and does not add value to the poster.

As far as valuation, follow the links to Heritage and EMP here and you'll find it generally sells for $150ish:

http://moviepostercollectors.com/Valuation.html

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »
Nice looking 1P there, AJ!

cool1

-Jeff

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
Nice!

I learned the hard way never to buy a post-1960 linenbacked poster (or linenback same). It's not necessary and does not add value to the poster.

As far as valuation, follow the links to Heritage and EMP here and you'll find it generally sells for $150ish:

Much appreciated, would those values be collector pricing or full on retail? I think it might be valued a little more then that. 

So dont linenback it for adding value? Ok.     

What about for displaying it? I think it might look like a much better piece if the holes were repaired and lines taken care of.

Nice looking 1P there, AJ!

cool1

Thank you very much, was thinking it would be a good piece to frame and display.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:14:00 PM by AjTheGreat »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »
Much appreciated, would those values be collector pricing or full on retail? I think it might be valued a little more then that. 

They are actual auction results (so an actual price the poster sold for in the past).  They are the best gauge (along with eBay results) of a poster's current "market value" (retail or otherwise)...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 02:24:15 PM »
In the end, AJ, if linen backing this and having the fold lines completely flattened is what you want, then certainly, it is an option for you, regardless of any added $ value or not. If the added value is how you will most enjoy it (and if you find the fold creases distracting) then it is an alternative not to be totally dismissed.

Backing a French 47x63 1P can be a little pricey, tho, so that is something to take into account.  ;)

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »
Buy a French one panel flip frame from Spotlight Displays (should be around $200) and rotate your French one panel collection.  They look pretty good and flatten out quite a bit on their own:

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 01:31:47 AM »
Not a bad idea, I should probably do that. I wonder if the shipping is expensive.

Any idea if the frame is sturdy?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 07:23:47 AM »
Not a bad idea, I should probably do that. I wonder if the shipping is expensive.

Any idea if the frame is sturdy?

About $200 including shipping. The frame itself is very sturdy. The flips clamp down very tightly on the overlays, which are relatively thin.  All explained in these threads:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,276.0.html

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,3506.0.html

Linenbacking a French one panel is usually $250+, so it's a good deal.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:26:28 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 05:12:31 PM »
In the end, AJ, if linen backing this and having the fold lines completely flattened is what you want, then certainly, it is an option for you, regardless of any added $ value or not. If the added value is how you will most enjoy it (and if you find the fold creases distracting) then it is an alternative not to be totally dismissed.

Backing a French 47x63 1P can be a little pricey, tho, so that is something to take into account.  ;)

sm1

AJ, there are so many 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s posters out there that have been linen-backed so don't discount it.
Linen-backing a post-1960 poster IS sometimes necessary and DOES add value to the poster.
Even folded posters that are in pristine condition can go for more money linen-backed than those that are not and there are a number of reasons for this.
Just don't bother with post-1990s posters that have been linen-backed - this is when it causes a problem as posters from this time period really don't need it.

My mate had a 1962 Dr. No UK quad, bought it for £760.00, sent it for linen-backing and sold it for £4,500.00 - yes, it's an extreme example but you get the idea. There are others like this too. In my own experience, I sold a folded 1982 Blade Runner one sheet for only £70.00 once...in the same sale I sold a linen-backed version for £205.00 - both same condition (the linen-backed one had simply been linen-backed, no restoration or fold line touch up or anything). I also have a James Bond poster I paid less than £500.00 for, getting linen-backed at the moment, which I know will be worth in excess of £1500.00 when it is completed.

Some posters rightly so are not worth the trouble of linen-backing unless you really like it and want to do it for no other reason than to enjoy it. I have a Disney poster for instance that is worth less than the cost of linen-backing alone, but it is a very nice display piece and once completed I will be framing it for my Mother as she is a Mickey Mouse fan.

Linen-backing your poster, I believe, would not add anything to its value; conversely it wouldn't take any away either.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 06:22:17 PM »
I also have a James Bond poster I paid less than £500.00 for, getting linen-backed at the moment, which I know will be worth in excess of £1500.00 when it is completed.

You're licensed to print money

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 10:29:33 PM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 10:36:50 PM »
I also have a James Bond poster I paid less than £500.00 for, getting linen-backed at the moment, which I know will be worth in excess of £1500.00 when it is completed.

Adam.. how will a linen backing job alone add 1000+ GBP to the value of this poster?

Or might it depend on the poster/year and when you bought it?

Just curious here.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:37:54 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 10:41:42 PM »
Adam.. how will a linen backing job alone add 1000+ GBP to the value of this poster?

Just curious here.  ;)

It includes a gold finger

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 10:44:43 PM »

It includes a gold finger

Is that all?

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 11:14:38 PM »
I think it includes a Goldmember
Chris

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 08:29:27 AM »

Just curious here.  ;)

Rarity and the price I paid for it was decent.
That's it.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »
Rarity and the price I paid for it was decent.
That's it.

Makes sense to me.

-Jeff

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 01:25:18 AM »
Nice!

I don't know...there's some posters from the 60's and 70's,that if I could ever afford,I would probably back.Not for a 'value' factor but for the conservation factor.Older paper is more susceptible to disease,or critters.In some cases,could already have nasty organisms in it waiting to show themselves.If I shelled out big money for Bond,or whatever old poster,I'd feel more comfortable knowing I did everything I could to protect it.

Anthony

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 01:29:22 AM »
French Star Wars poster (40x60).......Any ideas on what its worth?  Also, does it make sense to linen back it or just leave it as is?

There are 2 holes at the folds near the bottom of the poster.

Nice poster,AJ!
It really comes down to how much ya love it.If it's something you really love ,then ya might wanna give it 5 star treatment.If not,then the frames Mel mentioned would do just fine.

Anthony

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 01:30:24 AM »
I don't know...there's some posters from the 60's and 70's,that if I could ever afford,I would probably back.Not for a 'value' factor but for the conservation factor.Older paper is more susceptible to disease,or critters.In some cases,could already have nasty organisms in it waiting to show themselves.If I shelled out big money for Bond,or whatever old poster,I'd feel more comfortable knowing I did everything I could to protect it.

Anthony

Crap!

Chris

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 01:37:59 AM »
Don't panic,Chris!! It doesn't happen often. ;)

Anthony