Author Topic: Framing Question  (Read 5451 times)

dpluta

Framing Question
« on: February 28, 2014, 02:56:29 PM »
Hi.

I'm using an inexpensive framing technique that David A. Lieberman passed on awhile back.

I've purchased the acid-free foam core and pre cut sheets of plexiglass. The last step is to get a hanger hook onto the back of it. He says to drill a hanger into the foam core and plexiglass. I'd rather not drill if I dont have to. Does anyone know of an adhesive-based hanger that I can stick onto the foam core without drilling into the plexiglass. I've checked 3Ms Command line of products and they dont appear to make anything like this.

Thanks.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
Re: Framing Question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »
I do not know of anything but spotlightdisplays.com offers APF members a 10% discount and they are reasonably priced. The frames mount right to the wall.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »
Hi.

I'm using an inexpensive framing technique that David A. Lieberman passed on awhile back.

I've purchased the acid-free foam core and pre cut sheets of plexiglass. The last step is to get a hanger hook onto the back of it. He says to drill a hanger into the foam core and plexiglass. I'd rather not drill if I dont have to. Does anyone know of an adhesive-based hanger that I can stick onto the foam core without drilling into the plexiglass. I've checked 3Ms Command line of products and they dont appear to make anything like this.

Thanks.

So are you not using an actual frame to hold the plexi and foamcore?  I would suggest avoiding drilling the plexi at all.  Although it is definitely more durable than glass you could shatter it if you are not careful.
Chris

dpluta

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 04:14:24 PM »
You are correct CSM. No frame. It's foam core (29x43) covered with plexiglass that is held together with chrome office binder clips that have the metal handles removed. I think i found an answer. OOK makes an adhesive hanger that holds up to 3 lbs. that should work. Here's the original article...Thanks

Cheap Framing

By David A. Lieberman

If you have a lot of posters, displaying them can cost a small fortune. All acid free materials should be used. Never use Glass. Glass can stick to the face of the poster over time. Never use regular cardboard for backing as it is very acidic and will stain/yellow a poster over time.

The following is a cheap, safe way to frame your posters and they are easy to remove and replace with others as desired. This is the method we use in our showroom.

Buy foam core and Plexiglas, these should be available at a wholesale plastics or framing supplier. Be sure to ask for acid free foam core.

They come in 4' x 8' sheets. Foam cor is about $8.00/sheet. It comes in black and white, but black looks really good if you plan on leaving borders. Buy non glare Plexiglas one sixteenth of an inch thick for about $35.00/sheet. UV filtered sheets cost quite a bit more ($60.00 to $80.00). If your poster is valuable, don't skimp! Get the UV filtered!.

Cut foam core and plastic about 2 to 3 inches larger than the poster on all sides. The plastic supplier should be able to cut the plastic for you for a nominal price.

You can frame 3 one sheets from a 4' x 8' sheet of Plexiglas.

Use small office paper binder clips to hold it all together. This works surprisingly well!! You can remove the steel handles from the clips after you put them on for a much cleaner look.

Now, how do you hang it? On the top border in the middle about 1 inch from the top of the Plexiglas, mount on the back a picture hanger. You will have to drill through the Plexiglass and foam core 2 small holes to do this. You can buy the picture hanger at Home Depot and mount it to the back with tiny screws you will also have to buy.

To frame a one sheet costs less than $20.00. If you use UV filtered Plexiglas it costs about $35.00. It is well protected and the poster will not slide/move at all. It is very light weight and sturdy enough to hang. I've done all sizes including 3 sheets and French One Panels and they look fantastic!!!

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 04:37:18 PM »
Good info for people on a budget.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »
You are correct CSM. No frame. It's foam core (29x43) covered with plexiglass that is held together with chrome office binder clips that have the metal handles removed. I think i found an answer. OOK makes an adhesive hanger that holds up to 3 lbs. that should work. Here's the original article...Thanks

Cheap Framing

By David A. Lieberman

It is well protected and the poster will not slide/move at all. It is very light weight and sturdy enough to hang. I've done all sizes including 3 sheets and French One Panels and they look fantastic!!!

An interesting method to try doing a 3 sheet, too. I'm thinking these would be unbacked copies tho, correct? As linen in those sizes will add a lot of additional weight. The clips alone might not hold the "poster sandwich" together as well, but, then again, they might.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
See, in my opinion, you'd be best off ordering the rest of the frame.  You already have the most expensive parts of the whole framing equation!!

If you order a metal frame to fit the plexi and foamcore it really would not cost you all that much more and you'd have something that A) could be hung far easier and B) look great on the wall
Chris

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 05:28:39 PM »
To each their own, but I tried building my own frame for a French one panel and it was more of a headache than it was worth.  It worked and looked acceptable, but when I moved I bought a frame from Spotlight.  Would you mind posting some pictures of your current method?
Thanks,
Cj
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

guest8

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »
The weight of the plexi is the problem with this set up. You have to attach it to that otherwise anything else will just rip out/off of the foam core. A smaller piece may allow you to use something like this..

Also .. if you dont mind sticking something to the wall you could use some heavy duty double sided tape or some heavy duty velcro. Even if you didnt want to stick it directly to the wall you could screw or nail a strip of wood to the wall and stick it to that. But again the weight of the plexi is going to be the biggest hurdle.

dpluta

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »
Hi.

Pictures are coming soon. The solution I'm going with is 3m Command picture hanging strips. They hold 9 pounds and the adhesive will come off cleanly from both surfaces.

I'll get these framed up eventually. As one guy said, I have the most expensive pieces. Cant afford to do it all at once. The only component that would go unused after framing are the binder clips and I can always re-purpose those.

The problem I originally faced is that posters are not always a solid 27x41. In this case, I have two that are slightly over 27 inches. The cheapest 27x41 frames (Frame USA) are cut to exact proportions, so that edge area gets mangled in these frames. With this solution, I get a two inch border all the way around. They obviously wont look "professional," but then again either is the price.

Plexiglass - Ridout Plastics - http://www.eplastics.com/ - Nine sheets 29x43 with shipping = $193
Foam core - Jerry's Artarama acid free Pro Foam 36x48 - http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/framing-and-matting/foam-and-backing-boards/jerrys-pro-foam.htm - Nine boards were $70 and I picked them up locally.

Now all I need is to find a framer that will do a bulk customer cut order for the frame itself. I want to get these hung in the meantime.

Thanks.

dpluta

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 09:35:35 AM »
did a quick look, nine frames with no backer or plexi would run $333. with the other parts already bought, the total for nine 29x43 frames is just under $600.Not too bad really.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 11:15:53 AM »
Smart call on the 29x43 inch materials - looking to the future you will be able to fit in linenbacked posters as well :)
Chris

dpluta

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 09:42:12 PM »
Ok, I changed my mind. I found the metal frame parts to frame all nine posters for $240 (FrameUSA). Lieberman's idea is a good one and they dont look half bad that way, but for only $26 more for each poster, I had to go ahead and frame them. Thanks all.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 10:28:18 PM »
Ok, I changed my mind. I found the metal frame parts to frame all nine posters for $240 (FrameUSA). Lieberman's idea is a good one and they dont look half bad that way, but for only $26 more for each poster, I had to go ahead and frame them. Thanks all.

clap
Chris

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 03:27:11 AM »
Awesome  happy1