Author Topic: Saving Private Ryan  (Read 2814 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Saving Private Ryan
« on: May 08, 2010, 11:10:20 PM »
I finally bought a true original DS Saving Private Ryan from a seller who claimed to have won the poster at a movie theater when it was released.

I've had one of the "suspected reprints" for over a year - it came with some flip frames I bought from a local Craigslist seller.

I don't have that much to add to Dave Lieberman's excellent analysis of this.  I believe the "suspected reprint" is a reproduction because:

- It has fuzzy/pixelated fonts exactly like the other known digital repros (Jackie Brown, etc.) that I have.  

- The image on the back of the reprint is an exact mirror image, the back of the original is lighter/whiter

- Original has richer colors than the reprint, although the image quality is very similar down to the finest details, like the dimples on the helmets

- It is slightly smaller than the original and is very slightly cropped on the right side (see pic).

Given the numerous differences between the two, I can't imagine it's some kind of "authorized second printing":

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:23:08 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

tstatum

Re: Saving Private Ryan
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 11:32:27 PM »
looks like you got a deal there

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:34:22 PM »
looks like you got a deal there

Yeah no shit...Thats what I was gonna say.

Juli

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 08:34:09 AM »
Very good deal at $12. Lucky you.

~ Juli

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 01:38:52 PM »
You got a better deal, Juli  ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)