Author Topic: Beginners Collection!! (Mine ;D )  (Read 9812 times)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
Re: Beginners Collection!! (Mine ;D )
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
Thierry is totally correct

you can also add that collecting is a learning experience. Your tastes and interests will change over time and you will refine them constantly
find a way to store them to keep them in nice condition and be sure to display them as much as you can, because that's where the real joy is....
+1

Welcome Rage!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 01:45:32 PM »
 welcome1  To the forum Rage, great start to your collection.   thumbup

And don't let the bickering put you off, it's a great place, with some………………….Colourful Caractors..  ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:46:02 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
Too many dealers abuse the system and turn misinformed and gullible collectors off.  What I love about people like Bruce and Rich (clap clap clap) is that they are not afraid to let the market speak.  

Like David said, this stems from a clear difference of opinions and ultimately is the purpose of this forum.

T

Good Morning

Bruce and Rich (and in fact every auction house) have no choice but to let the market speak, they are auction houses, it's hardly their choice (or desire) to set a market price; I would point out that more than once their auction pieces have sold for more than what some dealers have the same pieces for and in fact one has a retail shop where some pieces are dearer than some of the dealers out there, so on that basis...?

I agree with you 100% one should do research, but statements like "...if you think you found a poster and it's cheap, it's probably cheaper somewhere else..." is just scaremongering and is more likely turn new (and old) collectors off from the hobby than dealer who sells them something at the price they are willing to pay. I will always congratulate someone for getting the purchase they really wanted and now love, no matter what the price - price is none of my business.

And Rage, like Thierry said, sorry to highjack your thread with our bullshit - T and I have never agreed on this area but the best part about this forum is that T, as forum owner, allows one to point out when he is so obviously wrong  ;)
David

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »
I let the market speak because I am actually a mute
I live my life like Marcel Marceau, where I have to go through a long session of charades if I'm at a mall and can't find the bathroom.

it's worse when I'm trying to ask a babe out.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:33:03 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 02:35:41 PM »
Disagreements are healthy and part of life, David.  I will never run away from them, whether I'm alone against 20 or not.  Trust me, though, there has been a couple of times where I've been so close to ban members from the forum because I so vehemently disagreed with them.  I remember one instance where Holiday had to calm me down and remind me that respect for freedom of speech is the very reason we started this forum.  He is good at putting his partner in a straight jacket, that Holiday.  It wasn't you, David, rest assured, even though I feel we've had the same argument a dozen times by now.  Regardless, I still think it's good for newbies to hear both sides of the coin and appreciate the fact that a forum owner is always right.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
Bruce and Rich (and in fact every auction house) have no choice but to let the market speak, they are auction houses, it's hardly their choice (or desire) to set a market price

This is only true in the case of those auction houses that are No Reserve (ok yes $1 or .99 is a sort of reserve before we argue semantics)... 

Otherwise the Reserve (as chosen by the auctioneer or consignor) automatically sets the lowest price at which the poster will sell (and thus at least a minimum market price is set)
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »
This is only true in the case of those auction houses that are No Reserve (ok yes $1 or .99 is a sort of reserve before we argue semantics)... 

Otherwise the Reserve (as chosen by the auctioneer or consignor) automatically sets the lowest price at which the poster will sell (and thus at least a minimum market price is set)

Well yes of course you are right but reserves rarely set the final sell price just the starting price, however I would agree setting no reserve is far more ballsy than setting one.

That said, is the auction house setting the reserve or is the client? That decision ultimately falls on the consignor, so one really can't say the auction house is 'price setting' and therefore it is not their risk ever (unless they are auctioning their own gear off) - an auction house is simply a conduit for the client, they take no risk per se whereas a dealer buys the piece and takes all the risk of carrying paid for stock, then watching the ass fall out of the market and having to wear the loss. Then again if you are going to throw reserves into the discussion then you may as well include auto-extending.
David

Rage1073

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 07:59:29 PM »
Let's learn to love guys haha

It's all good, both of you have valid points but please, let's rejoice that I have found a new hobby where everyone collects something completely different than the other

Yet we still collect the same thing haha

Thanks a lot for the welcome guys, it means a lot.

I can tell you that I'm pretty much gonna be a collector of the movies I like, if they have awesome posters

Things like

Star Wars
Quentin Tarantino
Mobster movies
Some Kevin Smith
And random other movies

Is there a place where I can put my grails? Or do I just create a photobucket album with the stuff I like and post it on here?

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 08:48:49 PM »
Let's learn to love guys haha

It's all good, both of you have valid points but please, let's rejoice that I have found a new hobby where everyone collects something completely different than the other

Yet we still collect the same thing haha

Thanks a lot for the welcome guys, it means a lot.

I can tell you that I'm pretty much gonna be a collector of the movies I like, if they have awesome posters

Things like

Star Wars
Quentin Tarantino
Mobster movies
Some Kevin Smith
And random other movies

Is there a place where I can put my grails? Or do I just create a photobucket album with the stuff I like and post it on here?

The Star wars and Tarantino posters your looking at spending some cash. But as for posting what you have it is best to add them to your photobucket then post them in the lastest acquisitions thread. This allows everyone to see what you have just purchased. I think in time your change will taste and you will move from Star Wars and Tarantino to other things. There is only so much material for each film. Once you ahve it all then what?

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 08:22:23 AM »
Hi Rage, welcome! I collect the modern stuff too, I like your collection so far!

Regarding your want list...I use a spreadsheet and update it when I remember. Some sites have a 'saved search' functionality where you could put in 'Clerks poster' and when new ones appear for sale you'll get an email.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 11:20:32 PM »
Nice collection going there, Rage.

And don't let the squabbles in your thread deter you from posting. Just forge ahead and don't become a stranger.

Oh.. and  welcome1 aboard!

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2014, 12:02:09 AM »
and appreciate the fact that a forum owner is always right.

And he has a gun and dogs at the ready for further leverage

Rage1073

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 06:55:48 PM »
Hey everyone

These are my latest finds!!

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/g_1073/library/60s-70s

Steven11788

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 11:08:23 AM »
Rage, your collection looks like mine at the beginning. I like it, I'll never forget my first pisters. I cried at the fact of spending big money. Then when I spent my first bill on just one. You get consumed in s good way. Lol

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »
Rage, your collection looks like mine at the beginning. I like it, I'll never forget my first pisters. I cried at the fact of spending big money. Then when I spent my first bill on just one. You get consumed in s good way. Lol
I was the same way. I would buy posters if I liked the movie but over the years I have focused my collection on what I am really passionate about. HORROR.