Author Topic: Beginners Collection!! (Mine ;D )  (Read 9810 times)

Rage1073

Beginners Collection!! (Mine ;D )
« on: January 06, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

this is my first time posting on the forum, I just started collecting 2 1/2 months ago.
its nothing special, mostly all recent releases but I do have a few others that i've been lazy to take pictures of (took me about an hour to take all those pics)
hopefully ill have an awesome collection one day, like most of you here

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/g_1073/library/

questions, comments, and concerns are always welcome!!

Charlie

Re: Beginners Collection!! (Mine ;D )
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 05:45:49 PM »
Great stuff!  Welcome aboard...

guest4185

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:01:57 PM »
Great start, some good choices there

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:44:16 PM »
Welcome Rage.  Nice collection.  If I can give you one piece of advice, collect what you like, expensive, cheap, old, new, whatever, always be proud of your collection, and never let anyone tell you that you are wrong.  This is YOUR collection to enjoy and cherish.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
Welcome to APF, Rage.
It warms the cockles of me heart to see a new collector's collection begin.
Thanks for sharing your pics!
 cheers

Mirosae

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 07:18:52 PM »
Welcome and congrats, it looks like you've got some nice ones. I like the Wolverine poster v much :)

Rage1073

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:02:45 PM »
Thanks a lot guys!!!

Means a lot
If any of you have a clerks poster let me know :D
Thanks again

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 10:06:36 PM »
welcome!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 10:27:16 PM »
If I can give you one piece of advice, collect what you like, expensive, cheap, old, new, whatever, always be proud of your collection, and never let anyone tell you that you are wrong.  This is YOUR collection to enjoy and cherish.

T

Thierry is totally correct

you can also add that collecting is a learning experience. Your tastes and interests will change over time and you will refine them constantly
find a way to store them to keep them in nice condition and be sure to display them as much as you can, because that's where the real joy is....

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
Hello and welcome
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
Welcome Rage a great start - yeah the sucky part of the hobby is cataloging them...

I concur with all advice given, and would add: watch out for the Poster Police...
David

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 11:05:09 PM »
watch out for the Poster Police...

that's right.. these Police are actual villains!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 11:06:11 PM »
It's actually the Poster Price Police - a very specific division within the larger precinct
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 11:06:30 PM »
The Poster Price Police... which basically means, if you think you found a poster and it's cheap, it's probably cheaper somewhere else.  Do not overspend, do some research, be patient, and you will eventually find what you're looking for.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 11:15:23 PM »
Welcome to the show that never ends.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 12:59:13 AM »
The Poster Price Police... which basically means, if you think you found a poster and it's cheap, it's probably cheaper somewhere else.  Do not overspend, do some research, be patient, and you will eventually find what you're looking for.
T

Meet the Sergeant at Arms.

Meanwhile over at the Whatever Salon...if you can afford it and it makes you happy buy what you want when you want.
David

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 01:22:53 AM »
And realize a day later that you could have got it at half price somewhere else and deal with your unhappiness and your sudden disdain for the hobby.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 01:32:09 AM »
Only a masochist starts comparing prices of things he already has happily purchased. If I buy a car one week I don't start seeing if i could have got it cheaper a month later.
David

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 01:38:33 AM »
Spoken like a true dealer.  How am I not surprised.  Carry on.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 01:47:05 AM »
Now then T, stooping to insults won't work will it. I have a point of view that is different to yours and should be allowed to express them without you feeling the need to throwing in caustic comments like that, especially as they have no merit.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:48:07 AM by Silhouette »
David

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 02:21:03 AM »
Nice start to a collection rage. Dig the wolverine. Like Thierry said collect what you like. Over time your taste will change. I know mine did.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 02:52:45 AM »
Now then T, stooping to insults won't work will it. I have a point of view that is different to yours and should be allowed to express them without you feeling the need to throwing in caustic comments like that, especially as they have no merit.

So calling you a dealer is an insult but calling me a masochist is not?  Interesting.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 03:20:04 AM »
So calling you a dealer is an insult but calling me a masochist is not?  Interesting.

T

Oh T get over yourself, re-read the statement - it hardly referred to you. But yes I did refer to you as being the Sergeant at Arms of the Poster Price Police (after you gave advice to not spend too much and if you think it's cheap it's probably not) because you have often been far too quick to critique what other people have spent on a poster. Yes, most of us here knows you have this low opinion of most poster dealers because they sell things that other people want to collect at a profit yet this is despite you coming from a long line of art dealers who also sell at a profit what people want to collect.

It's no sin to be a dealer, so I could care less that you say I am one - the fact is I spend more on posters than I make from selling them, the difference being a company I own builds and host websites so I can take advantage of that to be able to make my hobby a little more self sufficient and fun for me, just like you use your connections to the film industry to get a large portion of your posters for free.

So yeah, interesting.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:13:32 AM by Silhouette »
David

guest8

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 08:20:44 AM »
Nice posters Rage, you and I share a similar taste in what Mel would call Hyper-Modern posters! Mel use to be my brother in arms but has fallen into the dark oblivion and buys old  junk now. ;) It's good to have you around!

I see you mentioned Clerks, I do not have the official 1S for that but I do have a limited edition print for that film ..
http://www.mondoarchive.com/poster/clerks/?refer=search&search=clerks

I also have a disturbing print for Mallrats as well..
http://insidetherockposterframe.blogspot.com/2010/08/jon-smith-mallrats-15th-anniversary.html

Oh and don't let these old fuddy duddies bother you .. they are always bickering over something! :)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »
Oh T get over yourself, re-read the statement - it hardly referred to you. But yes I did refer to you as being the Sergeant at Arms of the Poster Price Police (after you gave advice to not spend too much and if you think it's cheap it's probably not) because you have often been far too quick to critique what other people have spent on a poster. Yes, most of us here knows you have this low opinion of most poster dealers because they sell things that other people want to collect at a profit yet this is despite you coming from a long line of art dealers who also sell at a profit what people want to collect.

It's no sin to be a dealer, so I could care less that you say I am one - the fact is I spend more on posters than I make from selling them, the difference being a company I own builds and host websites so I can take advantage of that to be able to make my hobby a little more self sufficient and fun for me, just like you use your connections to the film industry to get a large portion of your posters for free.

So yeah, interesting.

Well, actually, you did call me a masochist because I would feel really bad about knowing that something I happily bought one day could have been purchased for much cheaper the next day.  The only reason I don't put myself in such a predicament is because I make sure whatever I purchase is as cheap as I can get it.  If I buy a car, I don't need to see if I could have got cheaper a month later because I already did my research and I know I got it for the cheapest price.  My wife and I flew to Napa Valley to save $6,000 on a car we wanted.  Granted, we blew the money on the trip but we made damn sure the car was the cheapest in all of California.  No regrets to be had.  It is called research and it works the same with posters.  Yes, people need to be informed that there are cheaper options out there than to pay a dealer's overhead and I, for one, will always be that voice, regardless of its popularity, because at the end of the day, I really don't give a damn.  Too many dealers abuse the system and turn misinformed and gullible collectors off.  What I love about people like Bruce and Rich (clap clap clap) is that they are not afraid to let the market speak.  They might lose a little here, gain a little there, but at least they let us, the collectors, decide our fate.

And in all honesty, I don't see what bringing my family history back to the table adds to the conversation.  This is my stance, the stance of someone who has never sold a single poster in his life, not the one of people long gone.

And yes, Dave is right.  Sorry to highjack your thread with our bullshit, Rage.  Like David said, this stems from a clear difference of opinions and ultimately is the purpose of this forum.

T
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:02:54 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection