Author Topic: My Consignment Journey...  (Read 88808 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: My Consignment Journey...
« Reply #425 on: March 28, 2014, 06:57:59 PM »
Someone overpaid on the Matrix intl by $130.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #426 on: November 25, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
There is some good info. in this thread.  Bruce did a good job explaining some key issues, including the high consignment rate for lower selling items.  He really did contribute a lot of interesting, and informative content here.

Mel, thanks, but let it go! I agreed to take these as a test, and the test proved it IS a massive waste of time, just as I have said for years.

As to what you quote above, that was written years ago, and needs to be slightly revised. Back then we DID have an hour of labor in every auction. Now, thanks to huge improvements in how we list posters, we have less than 30 minutes of labor in each auction, but because I now pay my employees far more than I did then (hardly anyone has left in years, and I have only excellent people) we pay an average salary of somewhere of around $15 per hour, so that means we have around $7.50 of labor alone in each auction. Add in fixed overhead costs, and we still DO have around $10 of cost in each auction, so the resulting statistics ARE true, and those cheap posters ARE "losers".

We surely WILL continue to have a fair number of inexpensive items, as we will continue to accept entire collections on consignment. However we will continue to insist that the "bottom of the barrel" items be shifted to bulk lots, because auctioning them singly truly IS a massive waste of time, that yields little to the consignor.

One exception: we will continue to auction items we have never auctioned before, especially one-sheets for newly released movies, so that we can continue to have virtually EVERYTHING in our unmatched Auction History database.

Mirosae

« Reply #427 on: November 25, 2014, 03:27:33 PM »
How funny! I was just reading this too! Great minds  etc thanks Brandon  thumbsup.gif

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #428 on: November 25, 2014, 05:01:37 PM »
Who comes back first, Mel or Bruce?

I miss Bruce's insight on stuff and the occasional insider's look into the auction house world.

I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #429 on: November 25, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »
Who comes back first, Mel or Bruce?

I miss Bruce's insight on stuff and the occasional insider's look into the auction house world.

I am hoping for Whoopi
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #430 on: November 25, 2014, 05:08:55 PM »
I could care less who comes back just as much as I could care less about who leaves or who is present.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #431 on: November 25, 2014, 05:13:56 PM »
I could care less who comes back just as much as I could care less about who leaves or who is present.

Duly noted.

I am hoping for Whoopi

I was mistaken,

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #432 on: November 25, 2014, 08:38:52 PM »

Hmmm
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #433 on: November 25, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »
Well you peckers certainly haven't gotten rid of me. I was in the Dominican Republic for 9 days getting sloshed on the beach, tanked in the pool and stupid at the buffet. Our first vacation in 18 months. Excellente, amigos, excellente. 

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #434 on: November 25, 2014, 09:19:38 PM »
I was on a cruise years ago that stopped off in the DR along with other great spots in the Caribbean
definitely lots of fun.

Glad you're back.....

;D

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #435 on: November 26, 2014, 12:43:08 AM »
How funny! I was just reading this too! Great minds  etc thanks Brandon  thumbsup.gif

cool1