Author Topic: Should banner ads be allowed on posts?  (Read 15840 times)

Bruce

Should banner ads be allowed on posts?
« on: November 04, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »
I notice the banner ads keep growing and growing, and many pages are starting to look like that other forum.

Should banner ads be allowed on posts? What do you think (and yes, I know that the owners decide). I am just curious how those who actually post feel about them.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Should banner ads be allowed on posts?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
I don't think any ads have been growing. Others haven't been shrinking

but there is something that every member should know:
you can turn off signatures and not have to see ANY banners in anyone's posts!!

go to>profile>Look and Layout Preferences
and check the box that says "Don't show users' signatures".

it's as simple as that.

I know.. some dealers may not like that because it doesn't create work for "the other guy" (me) who would have to make a smaller banner every week rather than have his monthly banner show and if you can't see any "freakishly large" banners, you can't see the ... well.. "freakishly small"  banners either.

It's not supposed to be about size anyway! It's supposed to be about "quality"!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:06:32 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 06:12:33 PM »
Not sure what Rich has, as I think I blocked Rich's ads in my firewall long ago as the ads were getting too big. This is how I currently see this page

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:26:31 PM »
I think we should limit the size of avatars also.. maybe even limit the size of posts or limit the number of times any member can post in a 7-day period. Each additional post comes with a self-flagellation edict. If you post too many times, flagellate! Post too large of a comments (you know like my 1500 word posts), flagellate! If you flagellate yourself publicly, flagellate!

you know what. I think we should delete my comment.. No wait.. delete the thread.. No.. wait.. delete the whole damned forum. I don't agree with most of the crap you guys say anyway, you weird-O collectors

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 07:16:42 PM »
1) I'm getting tired of some of our members' ongoing little wars.
2) I agree that those banners are a little overbearing.  Obviously, when we said this forum was ad free, we meant that we were not going to endorse anyone, thus not having anything on the main page.  You are all free to advertize in your signatures, and members are free to hide those signatures.  This said, I think banners size should also be limited.  I'll talk to Holiday about it.

T
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:17:02 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 07:20:12 PM »
2) I agree that those banners are a little overbearing.  Obviously, when we said this forum was ad free, we meant that we were not going to endorse anyone, thus not having anything on the main page.  You are all free to advertize in your signatures, and members are free to hide those signatures.  This said, I think banners size should also be limited.  I'll talk to Holiday about it.

T

I'll do whatever T&H agree, no matter how dastardly it may be.
If they want to eliminate any ads in signatures - that works for me also. If they want to eliminate the eliminators.. who cares

the Dastardly Dastards make the rules

of course, if you don't wanna see da bannas, jes turn off da sigs

-------

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 08:34:27 PM »

T

If the actual collectors don't want to see the banners, why not get rid of them? It seems to go against the "no ads" philosophy. The main difference between this forum and the other one (in this respect only) is that you both have a TON of ads, except he charges for his, and you give them away!

Getting rid of them would get you "back to your original idea". If anyone were to quit over it, so what?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 08:53:21 PM »
No, I'm not against them, Bruce.  You're a dealer, it's alright for you to advertize your gear.  This is what a signature is for, to display what you're about.  It goes for everyone on the forum.  People can write whatever they want as long as it's not offensive.  But the size allowed has to be controlled.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 08:53:37 PM »
some of us have bigger "banners" than others do

-------

guest8

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »
I agree with T how this dealer in-fighting is getting old and it seems to be that Bruce is always in the center of it. I think these efforts are a bit transparent and childish if you ask me. If we don't like peoples signatures we can turn them off. It shouldn't be up to one dealer to rat on another dealer to cause them more trouble/work in an attempt to gain/protect market advantage. As a regular user I don't feel the need to limit/censor anyones signatures, especially since we can all choose to view them or not.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 09:07:56 PM »
I agree with T how this dealer in-fighting is getting old and it seems to be that Bruce is always in the center of it. I think these efforts are a bit transparent and childish if you ask me. If we don't like peoples signatures we can turn them off. It shouldn't be up to one dealer to rat on another dealer to cause them more trouble/work in an attempt to gain/protect market advantage. As a regular user I don't feel the need to limit/censor anyones signatures, especially since we can all choose to view them or not.

:o :P ;) ;D

-------

guest8

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 09:09:20 PM »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
haha .. I knew I left something out! ;)

laugh1 laugh1

-------

Matt

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »
I agree with T, size should be limited. That's my 1 cent comment.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
I think banner ads posing as signatures suck.

Totally turns me off (like billboards in the wilderness).

I did not know that I could turn mine off.  I will.

Bruce

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 09:54:47 PM »
Wow! There is a setting in each member's profile that says "Don't show users' signatures."

You check it and then ALL those massive ads disappear!

Cool

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 10:04:09 PM »
Including your own I guess.
I don't see yours now, Bruce.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 10:06:18 PM »
I think banner ads posing as signatures suck.

Totally turns me off (like billboards in the wilderness).

I did not know that I could turn mine off.  I will.

i actually didn't use a graphic in my signature for years. Bruce was the first to include a graphic, usually boasting how big his.. umm.. auctions were and I let that go on for months before I decided to have one myself. I can't help it if mine is bigger.. It's genetics

but yes, you can turn off sigs on every forum I have ever been a member of

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 10:10:24 PM »
Including your own I guess.
I don't see yours now, Bruce.

actually Ted, he just removed his signatures completely, for the reasons that fallenangel so clearly stated

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 10:17:56 PM »
actually Ted, he just removed his signatures completely, for the reasons that fallenangel so clearly stated

Alright Rich, you're next.

Nellie
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Alright Rich, you're next.

Nellie

what are the new rules. you know I'll abide by it T.
if you want smaller banners.. No problem.. no banners.. no problem

I wasn't the guy who started them and I didn't become the guy who whined about them, who both happened to have been the same guy and as fallenangel pointed out, just wants to gain or maintain what he perceives as some kind of advantage, because that's always the way.. Don Quixote can do it, but when someone else starts doing it, it's wrong and it should be stopped. But I can live with whatever your rules are, as you have always known anyway

by the way, you might ask him now if my avatar is objectionable, seeing as it has something to do with my site logo and all.
Or maybe he finds it objectionable that my text signature proclaims how MoviePosterBid.com is the first all-movie-poster-auction-website
I wonder if my username is too much for him also.. seeing as it my web URL.
you may want to ask all things now, so we don't see another poll soon about avatars, text signatures, login names and the like

ps: that is sarcasm, but truth mixed with sarcasm because sarcasm by itself is just confusing
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:28:19 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 10:28:27 PM »
While we're on the subject of 'advertising,' I am mystified at how Rich -- a lover of all things artistic -- could turn that Forbidden Planet masterpiece of movie art into a cheesy ad of an avatar?

Riddle me that Batman.  wynk

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 10:29:22 PM »
Yes, I want smaller banners.  I just need Holiday to set it up.  The rest, I don't care.  But the two of you are hilarious.

GO BEARS!!!
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 10:30:33 PM »
While we're on the subject of 'advertising,' I am mystified at how Rich -- a lover of all things artistic -- could turn that Forbidden Planet masterpiece of movie art into a cheesy ad of an avatar?

Riddle me that Batman.  wynk

it cost me lots of cash to get Robby to sign that sponsorship contract

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »
Yes, I want smaller banners.  I just need Holiday to set it up.  The rest, I don't care.  But the two of you are hilarious.

GO BEARS!!!

you just tell me what you want T

next I'm going to start a poll about being able to post F-R-E-N-C-H G-R-A-N-D-E without it becoming Thierry hates "French Grande"

-------