Author Topic: Christie's increase their BP  (Read 11230 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Christie's increase their BP
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »
See the key is, how does each auction deliver (for consignors, auction prices less all commissions, even the hidden ones, and how was the communication, and for buyers, were the items accurately described and sent quickly and safely).

No amount of advertising can change that. You can fool a few buyers and consignors one time each, but in the end, those that "deliver" rise to the top.

I guarantee you that whichever of those four pizza parlors has the best pizza for the best price will do the most business, even if they have NO sign, or a sign that says "Worst pizza in the world".

Way too much time and money is spent on advertising, and not near enough on customer service and satisfaction.

Well said and I quite agree.   thumbup

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 03:08:53 PM »
Bruce, could you set up an EmovieposterUK.  ?

Then we Brits get the service without the postage costs!   We'll ask very nicely..  :D

Followed by .ca soon after please
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »
Today, the U.S., tomorrow the U.K., the day after... Canada?

Bruce

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 03:19:11 PM »
I have five children. If they weren't so darn smart, I would try to get each one to re-locate to a different country, and ultimately have five more branches (likely eMoviePoster.uk, eMoviePoster.ca, eMoviePoster.aust, eMoviePoster.fr, and eMoviePoster.jp), with each branch serving surrounding countries!

Imagine having an auction in each country of that country's posters, and of course you could buy from the other branches and have your purchases shipped there and pick them up in person, and you could drop off your consignments, and you could get paid in local currency, etc, etc)!

A dream, but a pleasant one.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 03:35:20 PM »
Yep I remember when the Berwick collection came up for grabs, there were so many people (who could afford those posters) saying they weren't going to bid because of the high BP and the bad service and that they would simply wait until those same posters came up at an auction house whose BP and/or service was better.
David

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »

Way too much time and money is spent on advertising

I find this statement ironic when Bruce is hands-down the #1 webforum advertiser (not paid).
in any forum he has more daily posts than anyone, inc Heritage

Not to say that customer service isn't important, but facts are THAT YOU CAN DO BOTH without sacrificing either.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:41:09 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Bruce

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2013, 03:48:23 PM »
I am going to make a rare exception and reply to this.

I only pay for ads from three very long time friends as a favor to them, and if they ever sell their businesses I will cease those ads.

I make more ad posts on forums because I run twenty times more auctions than anyone else, but I post in the for sale areas and cut and paste the same ad (which is itself auto-generated) into all forums, and spend maybe ten minutes three times a week doing so.

99.9% of my time is spent making my business run the best it possibly can.

I won't respond to the inevitable caustic reply.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 04:04:04 PM »
there's no caustic reply Bruce. All I did was point out that you do way lots of advertising, even though you say in different words that advertising is a waste. I don't think there's anything wrong with posting or advertising. I do think there is something wrong with insinuations that other auctions are doing wrong however by advertising and that they seemingly don't work on customer service. I think it's a false narrative.

we all know you have buyers who only buy from you and not Heritage or MPE or myself. I happen to know that the reverse also happens, that people bid with Heritage who don't bid elsewhere, or that people bid on MoviePosterBid.com and don't bid with you or Heritage. That doesn't make you better than us or us better than you. These are just facts and facts shouldn't be bothering anyone

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2013, 04:47:27 PM »
You pay for my family and I to relocate and I will run one Bruce  ;) Preferably an English speaking country. I do not want to learn a new language  ;D

Bruce

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »
You pay for my family and I to relocate and I will run one Bruce  ;) Preferably an English speaking country. I do not want to learn a new language  ;D

If I were 25 now I would do it. I would also have 7 nights of auction a week. There would be a night of comics, a night of collectible books, etc. I think all those collectors would appreciate a completely honest auction that charges less and has no buyers premiums, and which grades everything honestly and packs great and sends fast JUST AS MUCH as movie poster collectors do.

But my earth shaking days are behind me. Now I am content to just do the absolute best job I can. One by one, virtually EVERY dealer and collector out there has been quietly contacting us and starting to consign and buy (and of course we keep everything in absolute confidence). About the only people who DON'T consign to us (or buy from us) are those who are very vocal in their criticisms (and even those often still buy from us, which is kind of funny).

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2013, 05:06:28 PM »
Preferably an English speaking country. I do not want to learn a new language  ;D

Looks like you won't be working in Australia then...
David

Bruce

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »

I spent a month there. They are far more understandable than the people in West Plains!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 06:11:35 PM »
I have the "World's Best Pizza" and alot of it is right now in my auction currently running

I also have Pizza Consignors who are sending me more pizza, though once I started having the "World's Best Pizza", I made it a little more difficult to make better pizza than the "World's Best Pizza"

click my graphic below and get yourself some pizza!

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »
I spent a month there. They are far more understandable than the people in West Plains!

'Stralian...
David

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »
I find this statement ironic when Bruce is hands-down the #1 webforum advertiser (not paid).

Hmm.  I would submit you are confusing advertising with editorial.

Banner ads and forum posting are, to my mind, mutually exclusive if we are wishing to assign definitions.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »

Hmm.  I would submit you are confusing advertising with editorial.

Banner ads and forum posting are, to my mind, mutually exclusive if we are wishing to assign definitions.

I think you are confusing editorial with posts FS/FA ad postings. Look at this subforum and you will see he has more than anyone, but keep in mind, I'm not saying there's something wrong with advertising posts, I'm just saying his statement doesn't match up with reality

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/board,49.0.html

self promotion in other threads, including other dealer threads, is a separate issue and have nothing to do with the FS/FA posts I refer to

-------

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2013, 02:50:55 AM »
I have a friend from Australia and he is probably easier to understand then some of the people I talk to at work. ;D Shit I would be happy to move to Australia, UK, or Canada. Change of scenery lol
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:51:57 AM by rdavey26 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2013, 03:12:27 AM »
I have a friend from Australia and he is probably easier to understand then some of the people I talk to at work. ;D Shit I would be happy to move to Australia, UK, or Canada. Change of scenery lol

And they all have good pizza, too, Randy.

;)

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »
Rich be trollin' hard.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
Rich be trollin' hard.

bullshit Ben. nothing I said was untrue.

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2013, 11:25:31 PM »
bullshit Ben. nothing I said was untrue.

You might want to look up 'trolling'.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2013, 12:51:37 AM »
Rich I think you have been sounding a bit grumpy lately (months) and not posting the light stuff of old (e.g. funny images). 

Bruce's comment
Way too much time and money is spent on advertising, and not near enough on customer service and satisfaction.

in my opinion, Rich's reply below:
- sentence one below was taken out of context and sounds like trolling
- sentence two also sounds like trolling since Bruce would likely agree with you as, he for example, does both well, no argument there:

Even should there be an issue of how much advertising Bruce does, like Bruce said, his ads are quick to do (a cut and paste job from previous ones and from his database), 30 mins max spent a week on APF, no $ spent and most of other time is on service.

I can see Bruce can wind you up with broad statements about competitors in general. I wonder if other competitors really are upset as much?

The shenanigans on NS4, by resurrecting the emovie bagging thread over and over, is disappointing to me.

Over time we may not remember what the arguments were about but we remember the behavior of the people involved.

This probably is just that you are over worked now that you are down some staff... Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing your new website and that stack of Belgians up for auction

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
Steve, you are correct when you indicate that Bruce insinuating other auctions do not offer good customer service or honest auctions etc are aggravating statements. He does it to create a competitive advantage for himself. But facts are that the insinuations are false. I of course understand it is "business" but it isn't like he doesn't try to take digs at other sellers very much in the Saul Allinsky method. That's okay.. I don't take it personal, but as a businessman who is being dissed, I will say something. For my money, if you don't want people critiquing you, it's best not to make critiques about others that will turn around on you. No one says Bruce doesn't do a great job, no one indicates you shouldn't bid with or consign to Bruce. But Bruce makes regular insinuations that (for instance) Heritage is bad, and that buying from or consigning to Heritage is bad and has for almost a decade. All companies, including Heritage, eMovieposter or even my own can be critiqued for this issue or that issue. There are ways to manage comparisons between you and your competitors without stepping over such lines and creating acrimony, but regardless, if you do such critiquing, it eliminates any gripe you have when you are similarly critiqued.

For instance, my gripe about the thread that Holiday moved from Dealer to Let It All Out was not that Bruce was griping, it was that 1) he was griping in MY thread when just a few weeks earlier he was griping I had posted a funny line into one of his dealer threads (I removed my post after he griped and I even apologized to him) and that 2) he was stating my thread did not belong in Dealer, which was complete and utter bullshit. If he felt it didn't belong where it was, he should have just sent a message to Holiday (clearly Bruce was wrong in this situation because I was allowed to repost the thread in dealer, with no edits). Also as was noted by several other members, my thread was no different than (according to OZ) 7500 of Bruce's threads.

The moral here being: you determine your own road to travel. If you make insinuations about other auctions, you can't be angry when people point out hypocrisy.

Business is business. But getting personal is personal.

concerning the thread at NSF, you do realize that thread was for 8 solid months used by Bruce for promo (and the most recent posts there are Bruce promo). Other people including myself using it for promo are therefore,  right in line and if you read the thread from start to finish, I defended Bruce against both people who were whining about him, largely because I thought both posters were being unfair to Bruce. So it is clear evidence that my comments are on both sides of the Bruce fence. I have no personal gripe against Bruce, never did. From a business perspective however, you can't complain if I turn the tables on you and use your own methods to counter your claims, or your insinuations..

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »
ps: I have no complaint on how many ads anyone uses in any forum, or if anyone pays for any ads.
Each business does what they believe is best for them. I know absolutely that advertising pays for itself and FREE advertising is the best kind there is. That does not mean that you can't go overboard - you can - but you run that gauntlet on your own.

There are also limits: for instance, just because someone creates a thread "WTB: Seven Year Itch" doesn't mean you should use that thread to promote your auctions with "We have that poster coming up in the MoviePosterBid October Auction". I think that is overboard myself, though if it's part of a greater thread I may not feel it is overboard. Such things are like a ballet - when you make the wrong step, the audience starts booing

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 11:30:56 PM »
So, what's everyone's thoughts on Al Shevy?

:p
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!