Author Topic: 30x40 without nss  (Read 6857 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
30x40 without nss
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »
I bought some posters from Colin at ckmac, and everything was great, and he seems like a very trustworthy dealer.  With that said, I have never seen a poster this size without the nss info, so I figured I would start this topic.
What do you guys think about this poster?

kauaitx

Re: 30x40 without nss
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 03:45:36 PM »
Hello, NeoLoco,

Is the poster exactly 30x40?  Is it trimmed?  I can't tell from the image. 

If you're concerned about the authenticity of the poster, 30x40 card stock posters are unlikely to be bootlegged, as it's just more difficult to get the paper.  I also don't think I've heard of Videodrome being bootlegged.  I'll have to refer to this master list that we had compiled on NSFGE.  But, I do understand your concern regarding the NSS info. 

Did you ask Colin about it?  He is, by the way, a first rate seller and very trustworthy.  I'm sure he would be very happy to clear up any questions or doubts you may have.   

Jeannie

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:31:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jeannie.  I thought you guys were gonna leave me hangin'.

Here is a link to the poster.  http://ckmaccom.startlogic.com/product_info.php?cPath=34_51_53&products_id=8823&osCsid=d7d290d8deeafdecd84460602c0fcaba

I ended up buying it after thinking about it for a couple days.

After speaking with Colin, I am a little more reassured that it is OK, but I figured other people would have an opinion they might like to share on the poster.  To avoid the whole "he said, she said" drama, I will just say that it seems like Colin has a lot of knowledge on the topic, and it is cool talking to someone like that.  

One almost has to be a detective in this hobby in order to solve the mystery of "fake or original", and even the big dogs who are at the top of their game sometimes don't agree - such as Bruce and Dave on the Woodstock posters.  With the information I have gained on forums such as this, I feel more confident in "calling it as I see it", but information from others definitely helps to make wise decisions - especially regarding who the reputable dealers are, and I have not seen anything bad written about Colin on various forums, which says a lot.

Thanks again for the reply.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:52:23 PM by NeoLoco »

kauaitx

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 05:15:49 PM »

I really don't think you have anything to worry about with this poster.  Besides the size of 30x40 not being a popular reproduction size, the paper used for them is simply harder to get.  And, without making any implications about the worthiness or quality of a movie, I don't think there would be much of a demand for a Videodrome poster that would make it worth the endeavor to try to reproduce it. 

Once you get the poster to see it and feel the paper for yourself, I think you'll know for sure.   

Regarding the NSS info that's not on there, a simple explanation could be that NSS didn't print/distribute this poster.  This movie came out in 1983 and by then the studios were starting to print their own posters; although, I don't think the 30x40 size was a popular studio-produced size. 

Of course, I don't know the particulars about this poster.  I'm extrapolating based upon general information and knowledge.  If you get more information from Colin and once you get the poster, will you post it?

Jeannie

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:31:11 PM »
Given the fact that the information would be relayed from the crazy guy in the matrix, it would probably be best to not post what someone told me in a private conversation.  If Colin wants to share his opinion on an online forum, that should be his decision.  

After performing my own C.S.I. type investigation on the poster, I will post what my final conclusion is, not that it will really mean much seeing as how I am nowhere near an expert, but I will share my opinion nonetheless.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:06:57 AM by NeoLoco »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 10:40:47 PM »
Id highly dopuibt anyone bother to fake this in this size, never seen one , no nothing, but common sense says.. WHY BOTHER?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 11:15:10 AM »
Update: Apparently the poster DOES have nss numbers, but did not show up in the picture  :-[.  In hindsight, If I had just asked Colin to take a look at the poster and tell me whether or not it had nss numbers, I would not have even started this topic, similar to other topics I have started and then later found that the information I was looking for was available online.

When I receive the poster, hopefully sometime next week, I will take some pictures and post them.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 05:50:39 AM »
Glad it worked out for you Neo.  As you can tell, I am a fan of the film and poster.  I had often looked at that 30x40, but couldnt justify the purchase since I already had a mint one sheet.  Congrats!

Schan
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 01:11:37 PM »
Thanks Kovacs.  Just after I turned my computer on, there was a knock knock on the door, and it was the U.S. Poster Service  :D.  The poster looks great, and my expectations were exceeded yet again.  it has nss numbers, nss info, framer's marks, the GAU logo, etc., and all appear to be good, including the age of the paper  ;D.

My 20 year old Nikon camera has not been working too well, so as soon as I get the chance to take it to my nearest Nikon authorized service facility to get it fixed, or let them convince me that I should buy a new camera, I can post some pics  :D.

Now onto my next investigation in my poster collecting quest.

kauaitx

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 01:38:44 PM »

I'm glad it all got cleared up for you, Neo, and that you're pleased with your poster.   Ahh, the happiness that the GAU logo can give.... There's a Star Wars poster collector who only wants NSS produced posters and not the studio versions, unless, of course, only the studio produced that particular poster.  I admit that I jumped on the NSS bandwagon, looking for NSS versions rather than studio versions myself.

Jeannie

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 01:46:45 PM »
I'm glad it all got cleared up for you, Neo, and that you're pleased with your poster.   Ahh, the happiness that the GAU logo can give.... There's a Star Wars poster collector who only wants NSS produced posters and not the studio versions, unless, of course, only the studio produced that particular poster.  I admit that I jumped on the NSS bandwagon, looking for NSS versions rather than studio versions myself.

Jeannie

A quote from Tommy Boy reminds me of something similar:

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing too]
Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 09:41:56 PM »
Update: Apparently the poster DOES have nss numbers, but did not show up in the picture  :-[.  In hindsight, If I had just asked Colin to take a look at the poster and tell me whether or not it had nss numbers, I would not have even started this topic, similar to other topics I have started and then later found that the information I was looking for was available online.

When I receive the poster, hopefully sometime next week, I will take some pictures and post them.

About 4 months later, and I have taken some pics of the poster, the main reason being I said I was going to do it.  Hopefully this will inspire Adz to post some pics of his infamous Bond collection.  :D
There is one thing (for lack of a better word) that is on the center of the bottom (the last pic), and on the left side (the third pic), that I have not seen anywhere else.  Anyone seen that before?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 09:50:42 PM »
Hey, Neo.  At the center of the bottom pic, it looks like the top portion of a copyright symbol, maybe (?). I don't see anything on the third pic.  Am I missing something?

Bruce

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »
"Hopefully this will inspire Adz to post some pics of his infamous Bond collection"

Yeah, that'll do it!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 09:57:34 PM »
Hey, Neo.  At the center of the bottom pic, it looks like the top portion of a copyright symbol, maybe (?). I don't see anything on the third pic.  Am I missing something?

Yo.  It's the diagram of 2 lines, with 4 dots.

"Hopefully this will inspire Adz to post some pics of his infamous Bond collection"

Yeah, that'll do it!

Ya never know.  Maybe he just needs some inspiration.   :D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:26:39 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 10:15:34 PM »
Yo.  It's the diagram of 4 lines, with 4 dots.

I thought at first that it was some sort of printer's registration mark, but I haven't seen one quite like that.  I will have to try and pull my VIDEODROME and see if it has one...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 06:41:35 AM »
There is one thing (for lack of a better word) that is on the center of the bottom (the last pic), and on the left side (the third pic), that I have not seen anywhere else.  Anyone seen that before?

I've seen it before on at least one of mine, can't remember which.  I vaguely assumed it had something to do with the four corners of the poster and was some sort of instruction to movie theaters about how to frame the poster. Obviously a wild@ss guess on my part.

But I'm confused - those are pictures of two posters, right, and one of them is trimmed?

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
I've seen it before on at least one of mine, can't remember which.  I vaguely assumed it had something to do with the four corners of the poster and was some sort of instruction to movie theaters about how to frame the poster. Obviously a wild@ss guess on my part.

I didn't think of that.  It could be something along those lines.

But I'm confused - those are pictures of two posters, right, and one of them is trimmed?

They're pictures of the same poster, and it's not trimmed.  You are probably referring to the 4th and 5th pics.  On the bottom of the poster (the 4th pic), the NSS info is cut off after the first line, but on the lower right side (the 5th pic), the entire NSS paragraph is there.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:29:18 PM by NeoLoco »

agentprovocateur

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 10:06:49 AM »
This symbol looks very similar to something being discussed on another forum I'm on, here's some info. they found out...

CROSS AND 4 DOTS :
A sign often found on Greek vases from around 700 B.C.
It is used in certain types of cartography as a sign indicating stone bottom at the water's edge.
In seventeenth-century alchemy or chemistry, it (and its variation 1110) represented distilled vinegar or acetum.

http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/11/115.html

Controversy over 2006 two-rupee coin
The two-rupee coin issued from 2006 by the Reserve Bank, in stark contrast to the earlier coin, is rounded and simpler in design, without the map of India. The coin has already been criticized for being difficult to recognize by the visually impaired[1]. Most controversially, it features an equal-armed cross with the beams divided into two rays and with dots between adjacent beams, which the RBI claims to be "four heads sharing a common body" under a new "unity in diversity" theme[2]. However there is no history in India of a cross of this nature or any other cross being used to represent this theme. Outraged Indian commentators, bloggers and Hindu nationalists have charged that the symbol is a Christian cross, pointing out its strong resemblance (equal-armed cross and dots) to the symbol on the deniers issued by Louis the Pious[3].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Indian_coins

And here's an image of the one rupee coin...

Not sure if that helps at all, and I haven't got a clue why it'd be on the poster!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 04:25:01 PM »
That is interesting, Agent Provocateur.  Does this mean that the poster is from 700 B.C.?  :D  Honestly I still don't know what it is on the poster and it's the only one I have ever seen with that on it, but it was cool that you posted that.  The only difference between the diagram on the poster and the diagram you mentioned is that the diagrams on the poster have a diagonal line on one of the dots, the diagram on the left side (when looking at the front of the poster) points to the upper left corner and the one on the lower side points to the lower right corner.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 05:06:49 PM »
It's got to be a 700 B.C. 'This Way UP' sign then ;D

Seriously tho, didn't know the lines pointed to the top left and bottom right, might be some sort of defunct printers registration marks as someone mentioned earlier.