Author Topic: Where to buy from for a one off poster?  (Read 3507 times)

vicnagy

Where to buy from for a one off poster?
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:51:07 AM »
Hi everyone!

New time user here. I'm hoping to pick up a very special present for my significant other who is a bit of 1980s/1990s action film fan. He also is a Kurt Russell fan. I was hoping to find him a signed poster (either a Die Hard one or Tombstone or anything in between), but have read that often these are fakes and considered to ruin the poster. Should I bother with anything signed? Do people have any advice about where legitimate signed posters might be found? Or do you think I'd be better getting him an unsigned one in great condition? The plan is to get it mounted and framed so put up on the wall and I'd like it to be an original not a reproduction poster. I really have no idea about this so any advice would be much appreciated! I'm enjoying reading information about movie poster collecting  :)

Thanks!!

Vicky

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
Re: Where to buy from for a one off poster?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 09:24:04 AM »
I wouldn't bother with a signed poster unless you could buy it from one of the major auctioneers or dealers, or maybe a charity auction where it was consigned directly for the auction.  Odds are so long that you'd get anything real from any other source that it's just not worth it.  I'd go with as top condition as you can get in your time frame 'til birthday.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »
Hi and welcome!

I know nothing about signed things as authenticity seems such a minefield, so I agree with Peter.

Using the Emovieposter auction history, a rolled Die Hard seems to be around $100ish
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/searchfield/title/search/film%253A%2520DIE%2520HARD/archive.html

A rolled Tombstone seems to vary in price, but is prob a little more
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/searchfield/title/film_title/TOMBSTONE%2520%2528%252793%2529/type/1sh/archive.html

emovieposter have a Tombstone up for auction at the moment and are an excellent place to buy from...although of course there are alternative sellers around if you have time to look about.
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3062569

As an alternative, if he is a Kurt Russell fan, the art on the one sheet posters for 'Escape from New York' and 'The Thing' are both excellent too:

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:35:43 AM »
Buying anything signed is a minefield, and for now you would be better just buying a mint poster;  And don't think a Certificate of Authenticity makes any difference, in fact it's more likely to be genuine without one.

Don't get me wrong I love signed posters, but I have gotten 99.9% of mine signed while I was there. Buying one already signed, you would have to work on 98% are fakes. There are reputable Autograph dealers who do have posters in their stock, so it maybe worth searching there, if you are set on something signed.

Are you based on the U.K. or U.S.  ?  As I can send you some links to U.K. dealers if your over here.

And Welcome to the board Vicky... welcome1
It's more than a Hobby...

vicnagy

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 02:53:15 AM »
Thanks for all the information!

I'll stay away from the signed stuff then. I've also seen a place called CineMaster Pieces. Are they any good? They seem to have not many copies of individual posters and the prices seem expensive but I can get them shipped in a couple of days.

@Peter: Thanks for the advice!

@Tob: Thanks for the tip on the "Escape from New York"! Yep one of his faves from Kurt Russell- the poster does look very cool. If I can't find one now that I can get in a couple of days then it'll make an awesome Christmas present  ;D

@Paul: Based in Australia- miles from the rest of the world  :P I'll have to order in from either the US or UK from the looks of things. Even the sites with a .com.au ending seem to be based out of the US (NY from what I can see).

Thanks again!

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 03:17:55 AM »
Cinemasterpieces is David Lieberman. He is located in Arizona, USA. Top notch guy. He is expensive though but that is because he is a dealer. He does have some excellent pieces and hard to find pieces as well but again money, money, money. If you look and since you are looking to buy a gift I wouldn't fork out a lot of money. I am sure you can find what your looking for either on here from other collectors, ebay, emovieposter.com, movieposterbid.com, movieposterexchange.com, or even in heritage auctions. If you are in a hurry then ebay is probably your best bet. Now you do have to be careful when buying on ebay as there are people on there that will sell reprints and pass them off as originals such as John Carpenter's Thing. If you buy on ebay stay away from Tloc. If you look in the sellers to avoid section in this forum you will see who not to buy from. As collectors we help other collectors by telling them who to stay away from and who to buy from.  Hope this info helps yeah.

Oh and there is a wanted section on this forum. Just post what you are looking for and other collectors might have an extra copy they might sell or point you in the right direction to getting what you what. Good luck to you and welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 03:20:01 AM by rdavey26 »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 06:42:27 AM »
These 850 close tomorrow:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/sort/4/15.html

If you get the one you want, and pay right away, we can ship it on Monday (via an expedited way, if you need it, and will pay the added cost), or via our standard way, if you just want regular shipping.

vicnagy

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 09:03:49 AM »
@ Bruce: Fantastic! Thanks for the link and info.

@ Paul: That might need to wait till I have a bit more saved up :) Christmas  :) Good to know what other poster exists for "Escape from New York"!

@rdavey: Thanks for the information! I'm a bit wary of ebay in general as it's caused a bit of grief for other buys in the past. I think I'll keep to the websites suggested :)

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »
emovieposter.com (Bruce) always ships fast as well. Just as long as you pay right away like he stated.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »
If you're based in Oz you should be on the look out for Aussie daybills and one sheets - just to keep it nice and local :)

So we have www.moviemem.com, www.theartofmovieposters.com and www.ebay.com.au
Chris

vicnagy

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 11:18:12 PM »
@Chris: Awesome! thanks for the Oz specific ones!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 11:22:20 PM »
There's so many Aussies here now isn't there?
I think I have an Aussie escape from LA poster somewhere, dirt cheap.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 11:42:51 PM »
There's so many Aussies here now isn't there?
I think I have an Aussie escape from LA poster somewhere, dirt cheap.

You bastids are taking over.  But it's OK with me since I can keep on pretending I am one of the bastid gang
Chris

Matt

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 11:49:39 PM »
We're gonna turn this place into Boganville.  ;D

http://boganville.com.au/

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 11:56:52 PM »
We're gonna turn this place into Boganville.  ;D

http://boganville.com.au/

Bookmarked
Chris