Author Topic: Mondo and drafthouse posters  (Read 10157 times)

Steven11788

Mondo and drafthouse posters
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:58:51 PM »
I may have asked this before, but what is deal with these. I seen a few I like but the prices are crazy. are they from a  special theater or what. also seen some say silkscreen does that name imply they are actually silk or made like a fuzzy black light poster?

guest8

Re: Mondo and drafthouse posters
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:31:56 AM »
Is this a joke??? ;)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 08:04:41 AM »
Yes indeed, Mondo posters are indeed a joke. i seen none I like. they all come from the Money Tree Theatre in the downtown Washdup Hasbeens. Some posters been coated in Mondo silk with a light powder coating in gold for preciousness. Some would say Mondo posters look best under a standard black coloured light, at night

Steven11788

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 09:02:51 AM »
why coated in all that crap, I buy what I want but if something is tech worthless I don't want the fear of never being able to sell it again. there is only 2 posters I like.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 09:28:48 AM »
why coated in all that crap, I buy what I want but if something is tech worthless I don't want the fear of never being able to sell it again. there is only 2 posters I like.

He's joking.

They're screen printed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_printing). It's a cliché, but they're usually much nicer looking 'in the flesh' than as a jpeg image on your screen (usually because the colours are more vibrant). They're printed on thicker paper than 'proper' film posters.

Which 2 do you like?

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 09:41:31 AM »

whether there are only two posters you like, or there is only one poster you like, or even if you like a few, mondos sure are expletive expensive. i sometimes buy things I don't want, like a handbag for the lady, luckily though, not bought a con-dough mondo as yet. Maybe best not to buy posters if fearful about resale value. best to buy thinking you wont get much back, if anything (think, mold damage, bug damage, water damage, sister damage, spontaneous combustion disintigrative damage).   

guest8

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 10:04:02 AM »
Ok, now that i know this is a real question .. Steven you should check out these videos, it says a lot about Mondo and who they are and what they do.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4B208D7C8786E947

As for the prices, it's a super limited print .. it's not like the mass produced posters that most of us collect here. There is also a magical mixture of the title, artist, time of release and some hype prior to release that all goes into making up how well a poster will sell and will also effect its long term value. I say "magical" because you cannot predict which will do well and which will not, well most of the time.. there are times you can for sure predict which prints will flop. :P Some of the greatest Mondo artist do some really nice posters but for some reason they just do not reach that magical point that makes them holy grails of collecting.

If you buy the ones that you love, then you shouldn't worry about price. Just do some research first. Some ebay prices are literally 2-5x what the poster is really worth and actively selling for. Those auctions are just profiteers looking to cash in on an unsuspecting buyer or trying to artificially inflate the market value of that poster.

If you'd like let me know which posters you are looking to pick up, I may have them or could let you know what a fair price is and help you find some to purchase.

Steven11788

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »
1 is the orange skied, forest Friday the 13th. I don't see putting 50 bucks in it, as cheapest one on ebay is. The other is the silent night deadly night, I haven't seen to many for sell and no way am I paying the prices I saw. As someone said about re-sale above. I buy what I love weather re sale is involved. but I Know at least 50 of my posters I can resale for more than what I paid due to condition, but again I don't buy to resale. thanks for links btw... :)

PS, also looking for the psycho one, the house on the hill is killer
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:52:44 PM by Steven11788 »

guest8

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 02:24:53 PM »
1 is the orange skied, forest Friday the 13th. I don't see putting 50 bucks in it, as cheapest one on ebay is. The other is the silent night deadly night, I haven't seen to many for sell and no way am I paying the prices I saw. As someone said about re-sale above. I buy what I love weather re sale is involved. but I Know at least 50 of my posters I can resale for more than what I paid due to condition, but again I don't buy to resale. thanks for links btw... :)

PS, also looking for the psycho one, the house on the hill is killer

Haha .. You wouldnt pay $50 for Francescos Friday the 13th?? You do realize that the original cost for that one was $45 +$15 for shipping. So for $60 shipped the seller is losing money, not even counting ebay/PP fees.

I don't recall Mondo having a Silent Night or a house on the Hill poster .. you have a link to any images?

As for Danger's Psycho you can pick either the Regular or the Variant up for around $100-150 if you really do some hustling.

Steven11788

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
oh ok, guess I gotta shell it out, see I know nothing on these, may pick it up then, the silent night I found out was like mondo but not "official" well what dude told me.  also I ment to say the Psycho, poster, the way the house on the hill(in poster) looks killer. didn't know the 150 was a descent price., though.  thanks for your help man. guess next payday I'll pick the F13 up :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 04:23:39 PM »
Yes indeed, Mondo posters are indeed a joke. i seen none I like. they all come from the Money Tree Theatre in the downtown Washdup Hasbeens. Some posters been coated in Mondo silk with a light powder coating in gold for preciousness. Some would say Mondo posters look best under a standard black coloured light, at night

This was my exact impression as well
Chris

guest8

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 06:21:54 PM »
You mean my site? alamodrafthouseposters.com ?

Here is CinemaOverdrives Silent Night poster, is this the one you saw?
http://www.alamodrafthouseposters.com/MyStuff/MyMain/IMG_0037.png

Steven11788

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 06:28:20 PM »
You mean my site? alamodrafthouseposters.com ?

Here is CinemaOverdrives Silent Night poster, is this the one you saw?
http://www.alamodrafthouseposters.com/MyStuff/MyMain/IMG_0037.png

yea that's it was gonna buy one but guy wanted more than I wanted to pay, said it was a mondo poster but by different place.

guest8

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 06:40:35 PM »
yea that's it was gonna buy one but guy wanted more than I wanted to pay, said it was a mondo poster but by different place.

haha .. if its a "different place" then it cannot be Mondo. :)

It is a movie print put out by CinemaOverdrive for a screening at a theater in NC. Mondo didnt invent and/or own sole rights to make movie prints! :P There are plenty of other theaters and print houses that put out movie prints.

Sadly for you CinemaOverdrive prints were printed in much smaller numbers than Mondo prints are so they are a lot harder to come by. But because they are not Mondo the prices havent really went up a lot. If you keep your eyes open they seem to sell for about $50 when they do pop up.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »
I'm going South of the Border so I can buy some TeleMundo prints

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Steven11788

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 08:51:33 PM »
haha .. if its a "different place" then it cannot be Mondo. :)

It is a movie print put out by CinemaOverdrive for a screening at a theater in NC. Mondo didnt invent and/or own sole rights to make movie prints! :P There are plenty of other theaters and print houses that put out movie prints.

Sadly for you CinemaOverdrive prints were printed in much smaller numbers than Mondo prints are so they are a lot harder to come by. But because they are not Mondo the prices havent really went up a lot. If you keep your eyes open they seem to sell for about $50 when they do pop up.

in NC, my state, I am gonna look them up, thanks for all your info