Author Topic: Should I even bother?  (Read 2106 times)

Dcollins85

Should I even bother?
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:45:48 AM »
I have a Version B, watermark Lucasfilm green stamp Star Wars: Episode 1 theatrical unfolded poster, single sided, that was damaged. Should I bother restoring it or just buy one that's up for auction? The damage is minor, two small spots on the left side, some minor folding and a few bumps. My fathers girlfriend got me this off of Home Shoppers Network ( lmao ) when the movie was coming out. It came with a "EPISODE I" pin also, so it does hold some sentimental value.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Should I even bother?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:24:07 AM »
What I do in these kind of circumstances is keep the Slightly damaged one as is, due to those sentimental reasons, and buy another as your mint copy.. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »
Just buy another one... If you are patient you can snag one on eBay for $10...

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:18:07 PM »
do you need a (near) mint one? two minor spots and sentimental value ---> frame it, hang it

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:02:08 PM »
I have trashed so many posters with similar damages.  To me, anything post 1985 needs to be in absolute mint condition.  1985 is the year I have decided everything needs to be rolled and mint.  Prior to that, I'm okay with folds and minor damages like pin holes.  There are only a handful of rare posters post 1985 (Pulp Fiction Lucky Strike for example, just because of what some collectors have decided it's worth) that you could potentially restore.  IMO, of course.  99% of them can be found mint (and in your case double sided) for very little money.  So keep this one rolled somewhere if it holds sentimental value, and get a DS mint one on Ebay.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »
  So keep this one rolled somewhere if it holds sentimental value

T
[/quote]
 you sweet talker you

Dcollins85

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 05:39:22 PM »
Thanks, I will take your advice.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 07:17:49 PM »
Don't mind me, just passing through... ;)

http://goo.gl/VQldf
David