Author Topic: Seraphim Falls  (Read 3419 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Seraphim Falls
« on: March 27, 2010, 09:11:59 AM »
Well, I had heard this was a good film.  I wanted it on blu-ray, and finally got around to ordering the UK version and watching it tonight.  It isnt a good film, but a great one, IMO.  Being a huge fan of the genre, I have seen a great many westerns.  This one is the best since Unforgiven, and it doesn't fall very far short of that Eastwood's masterpiece.  The story of one man chasing another bent on revenge certainly is not a new one, especially in this genre.  But, the execution here is what makes this film special.  As the viewer, you never really know who to get behind.  Even after the events driving the conflict are revealed, there is still no line between protagonist and antagonist.  The story is gritty and at times (especially near the end) surreal reminding me of some of the spaghettis of old such as Keoma or Django Kill.  Pierce Brosnan, though he scarcely utters 10 lines in the film, is brilliant as Gideon.  Ultimately, we come to understand that both men are haunted by similar demons and are desperately searching for an exorcism.  The scenery is amazing, and the cinematography impresses throughout definitely justifying the purchase of this film in the blu-ray format.  I do not know how this film slipped so far under the radar, but deserves more notice than it has received.  Unless you absolutely hate westerns, check this one out.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
Re: Seraphim Falls
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 05:26:57 AM »
Saw it a few weeks ago late night on the TV. I was pleasantly surprised, but not a master piece. The story was meticulous, but being a western with only two male protagonists there the plot wasn't surprising. I thought it looked too glossy, especially the flash backs with the burning house and the beautiful wife. Neeson and Brosnan were more than fine.

Wim