Author Topic: Definition of Fine - Heritage  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Definition of Fine - Heritage
« on: December 31, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
To my mind - Without tears, pinholes, dinks, tape and paper loss.

And, if unrestored and from long passed eras, perhaps an acknowledgement of age to the paper that does not say it rolled off the printing presses yesterday.

That said, is everything sold at Heritage then, Fine?

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=161301&lotNo=53526#Photo

This looks knackered!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Definition of Fine - Heritage
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:12:55 AM »
In my world that would be 'Good' at best.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »
To my mind - Without tears, pinholes, dinks, tape and paper loss.

And, if unrestored and from long passed eras, perhaps an acknowledgement of age to the paper that does not say it rolled off the printing presses yesterday.

That said, is everything sold at Heritage then, Fine?

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=161301&lotNo=53526#Photo

This looks knackered!
It does,what is Ha`s definition of fine?

Stew

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:17:45 AM »
I think their definition of Fine would be, 'We're auctioning a poster.'

It clearly has nothing to do with condition.

But I am happy to hear others' opinions - I never think my education is complete...!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:39:21 AM »
There is Fine and then there is Very Fine.  A big gap between them according to Heritage.   Their condition descriptions are catchalls and generally largely unhelpful.

You can use their giant inflatable pictures but then you might fall victim to oversaturation and colour boosting - oops there I go again!
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »
oops there I go again!

Thanks man!!

Stew

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »
Fine (6.0)
A poster with good colors and, overall, still very presentable appearance. It may have tears, slight paper loss, pinholes and minor stains. It may have some fold separation. It may have restoration.

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »
I went to see that Double bill,, 1971 or 2  I think...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »
Speaking of Heritage I'm still waiting for a shipping notice for a poster I bought almost two weeks ago...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
Fine (6.0)
A poster with good colors and, overall, still very presentable appearance. It may have tears, slight paper loss, pinholes and minor stains. It may have some fold separation. It may have restoration.

Stew

The problem is working off of descriptive terms that get used differently by different sellers.  If going off their numerical scale, I think a 6 is about fair for that poster with only 3 very small flaws in the artwork, tape stains yes, but they are limited to the margins, and it is also rolled, which is hard to come by for that time period.  Not as rare as a rolled 70s US 1-sheet, but rare nonetheless. 

There is no way that this poster should be rated a "Good" (2.0) on HA's scale.

Mint (10.0)
A poster that may never have been used or displayed. May show very slight signs of age. On folded poster, might show the most minimal signs of wear to the exterior due to storage. The poster should have no holes or tears.

Near Mint (9.4)
A very lightly used poster with fresh, saturated colors. On folded posters, may show the most minimal wear at the folds. The poster should have no holes, tears nor paper loss.

Very Fine (8.0)
A poster with bright color and a clean overall appearance. It may have general signs of use such as minor fold separation and fold wear. It may have pinholes or very minor tears. The poster may be restored and put on linen or paper.

Fine (6.0)

Very Good (3.5)
The poster may be slightly brittle due to age, or it may have some paper loss and/ or staining from tape, water, etc. The poster may have writing in an unobtrusive place. The poster may have some varying degree of restoration.

Good (2.0)
An average poster which may have tears, paper loss, and a significant degree of general age wear. It may have some color fading, stains, tape or tape stains, and be in need of restoration. It may have significant restoration.

Fair (1.0)
Poster may have faded colors and/or brittle paper, showing significant signs of use. May have large tears and significant paper loss. May have tape, writing, stains in image area. In great need of restoration or had major restoration.

Poor (0.5)
A poster that is worn, torn, and/ or badly damaged. May have staining or dry rot. May be heavily soiled and/or large pieces missing, and may be cracked or brittle. It would be in dire need of restoration.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »
Correction.  I'd drop my 'Good' to their 'Fair.'
 cheers

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 04:29:16 AM »
My heritage experience with fine:

I purchased a "fine" condition Chaplin card from City Lights with the borders replaced by "excellent restoration"..the image area was indeed beautiful and bright...to be clear i needed this piece as an upgrade because I'm piecing together the best set that I can...so.. I win it ..
When it arrives I compare it with the same card lesser condition and notice that the replaced borders do not hold a similar color in fact the restored cards borders were a little too peach colored and the bottom right tapers slightly..it looks too sharp fresh and more than a hint too clean..now is this a fair "fine" condition? A pure question!! (btw I did keep the heritage card and sold the lesser card for an unconscionable profit..so...)

However... my 2 Buster Keaton (maltin collection) cards arrived and they were listed fine/very fine..however they are clearly very fine and I'm VERY HAPPY with them!!!

Buyer beware...surprises abound!!
Tait