Author Topic: OK, I have to ask.. Window Cards on really heavy cardstock, is it normal?  (Read 9065 times)

Mirosae

Hi, I know that for most of you this might be a stupid question, what can i say? sorry, have to ask.

so here it is...Is it normal to find window cards on heavy, really thick cardstock? I assume the w/c has been restored.

I bought one recently and i was soo, soooo happy, till yesterday, when it arrived and i had a proper look at it. It looks like the w/c has been mounted on the cardstock :'(. I have a Benton card so I know (or I think) I know they are a bit thicker than normal paper. But this one looks a bit odd to me.

So my question is, shall i assume that this is normal ''restoration'' or backing on a w/c? or shall i run away from those w/c on cardstock in the future? ays......

Offline paul waines

• Curator
I only have a few window cards, and they are on very thick stock. So my guess is it's fine, but I'm sure others will chime in...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
A photo would be helpful, but window cards are on a thick card stock. 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
It also depends on the age... I have WCs from the 60s/70s that are on card stock, but that are still thin enough to send rolled in large diameter tubes (4-5").  However, a few cards I have from the 30s are on extremely thick stock and I wouldn't dream of trying to roll them in the least. 

Mirosae

Thanks all for responding. I should have taken a pic, so you all could see what I mean, but unfortunately I don't have it with me now. It is a 40's w/c and according to few people - I took it to my restorer in the UK - and he said it is OK to have it as it is.. I just thought it would be best for me to ask you all, since I am sure you know more about these things. I have never seen any posters in such a thick cardstock..oh well,

Many thanks again

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Who is your U.K. restorer? 
It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

Who is your U.K. restorer? 

Hi Paul, Alain Bourgain, he is really good. Though I showed this one to the owners of the movie art poster gallery in London http://www.mpag.co.uk/

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Whoa! That is a primo bit of paper right there... Congrats!

If it were me and I had any doubt about authenticity, I would cough up $20-50 or so and have someone authenticate it. Especially if it has been restored. I know MPgrading and Poster Mountain do authentications, and I'm site others would as well. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see a picture  :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
It also depends on the age... I have WCs from the 60s/70s that are on card stock, but that are still thin enough to send rolled in large diameter tubes (4-5").  However, a few cards I have from the 30s are on extremely thick stock and I wouldn't dream of trying to roll them in the least. 

I was horrified reading this until I got to the last sentence.  That's why skimming posts is bad children ;)
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
casablanca....that's why i was a bit worried..did not expect it like that..

If you're dealing with something as "big" as that I would be doing everything I could to research and authenticate it pronto!

So photos (for us :) ) and opinions from experts needed. Just don't send any Dracula posters to PM...
Chris

Mirosae

Re: OK, I have to ask.. Window Cards on really heavy cardstock, is it normal?
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 09:33:48 AM »
Will post a pic as soon as I can. But here is another question. Am I not supposed to trust certain film poster dealers? I bought it via a very, very,  very , very trusted  auction company- did I say very trusted?So, I think I am safe, well or  thought I was safe (never occurred to me that I could be sorry..).

I have it at my sis house. Will post a pic tomorrow.

dear oh dear.. flop or flop
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:40:01 AM by Mirosae »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:57:01 AM »
I wouldn't be worried yet.
Possibly it's been paper backed, as is common with card stock posters.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 10:42:32 AM »
That new info changes the situation a bit... If it was from one of the big auction houses I probably wouldn't worry too much.  And as Ari said, if it has been restored it was likely paper-backed at the same time. This in effect makes an already thick poster slightly thicker, and greatly adds to its rigidity. Paper-backed card stock posters should be shipped flat from what I understand.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »
And no surprises a Casablanca would be paperbacked if sold via auction house.  They love their posters backed and not 'fresh' generally...
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 02:21:08 PM »
Well, it is official. I cannot buy posters, and I cannot post a damn pic right- I tried, so don't kill me...

Does this look ok to you?

let me introduce you to..CASABLANCA WC (Yes, you have to do some YOGA to look at it).. so this is the front

BUT THE BACK.. AY, AY, AY

AND THIS ONE

OR THIS ONE

AND THIS IS THE FRONT- ALL UP SIDE DOWN.. DONT ASK, PASS, # It looks good though arguably you have to look at it from the right angle.

what the flop off am i doing wrong..? anyway, the question is to be or NOT to be worried about this backing?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 02:39:18 PM »
Will post a pic as soon as I can. But here is another question. Am I not supposed to trust certain film poster dealers? I bought it via a very, very,  very , very trusted  auction company- did I say very trusted?So, I think I am safe, well or  thought I was safe (never occurred to me that I could be sorry..).

I have it at my sis house. Will post a pic tomorrow.

dear oh dear.. flop or flop

HA sold this copy in July of 2010 for $8962.50, inc the BP:

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 02:45:09 PM »
HA sold this copy in July of 2010 for $8962.50, inc the BP:

.....yes, Heritage sold another recently.  To be fair to them it did say on cardboard, I never thought they meant it ''like this cheap cardboard''.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »
let me introduce you to..CASABLANCA WC (Yes, you have to do some YOGA to look at it).. so this is the front

Gorgeous!  Congrats on your purchase. 

Maybe someone like Sean can chime in regarding the restoration.  It surely look mounted to cardboard... not sure why that would be done.  Maybe it was done as part of some sort of amateur restoration?  And then when it was restored for auction they decided it would cause too much damage to remove it?  Do you know how much work was done to the front of the card? 

Again, though, it is an amazing poster regardless -- one that I would love to have in my collection someday! 

Mirosae

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 02:58:36 PM »
Gorgeous!  Congrats on your purchase. 

Maybe someone like Sean can chime in regarding the restoration.    
Hi Harry... who is Sean? It would be great to know what he thinks!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 03:06:09 PM »
He goes by crowzilla here... you might try PM'ing him.  I know he gave me quite a bit of insight into lobby card restorations when I bought my Wolf Man card.  No promises, but he might be able to tell you more about this Casablanca card.  I'm sure he knows what kind of paper stock the original was on at a minimum.  

Mirosae

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »
I just looked at that copy on HA. It also states: "The imprint area of this fantastic window card has been bleached, and the white background has been airbrushed. Fine/Very Fine on Cardstock."

Are we to assume this beauty from HA is your copy?  

Fantastic!! Congrats again, Rosa. thumbup

Yes, that's the one. That's why I wanted to ask here if this sort of backing is ''normal''. I never saw something like this. Looking this ''cheap'.

Mirosae

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »
He goes by crowzilla here... you might try PM'ing him.  I know he gave me quite a bit of insight into lobby card restorations when I bought my Wolf Man card.  No promises, but he might be able to tell you more about this Casablanca card.  I'm sure he knows what kind of paper stock the original was on at a minimum.  

Thanks a lot!!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »
Rosa,

In addition to Sean, you might also want to ask other restorers like Dario (he's also a member here on APF; and his website is: http://www.vintagemovieart.ca/) or email John Davis, at Poster Mountain (www.postermountain.com).

It makes sense, now, too, why your card appears so white, with the entire background having been bleached then airbrushed.

Perhaps Grey at HA has some further info about who restored it or where the work was done? Might be worth emailing and asking him, too.

It certainly cant hurt to inquire from various sources, as well as who you obtained it from. It's for your own peace of mind, as well.  ;)

Good luck and keep us posted!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:32:47 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 03:29:13 PM »
Rosa,

In addition to Sean, you might also want to ask other restorers like Dario (he's also a member here on APF; and his website is: http://www.vintagemovieart.ca/) or email John Davis, at Poster Mountain (www.postermountain.com).

It makes sense, now, too, why your card appears so white, with the entire background having been bleached then airbrushed.

Perhaps Grey at HA has some further info about who restored it or where the work was done? Might be worth emailing and asking him, too.

It certainly cant hurt to inquire from various sources. And for your own peace of mind, as well.  ;)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jeff,

Many thanks. This is incredibly helpful. And another valuable lesson from APF. I always do my research BEFORE buying, but stupid as it sounds, I am acutely aware that it was stupid, it never occurred to me when buying this one that I should make lots of enquiries about the restoration. Well. Live and tell.

I am happy with the poster but as you rightly say, it is for my own peace of mind.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this, and for all your help- much appreciated.

Rosa

Mirosae

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »
Rosa,

What exactly is this closeup image showing? Is this the front side? Showing a border area or edge?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

that one is the front side- showing the border area

and this one shows  an area that to me it seems like the backing is decaying the poster, the grey shadows is the lighting, it is the other grey mark along the border area.