Author Topic: An interview with the British designer and artist Brian Bysouth  (Read 9244 times)

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
An interview with the British designer and artist Brian Bysouth
« on: December 20, 2012, 10:07:37 AM »
Hello all,

The blog side of my website has been fairly quiet for the past few months but that's because I've been meeting and interviewing several British designers and artists and today I'm very proud, and relieved, to publish the first of these interviews.

Over the past few months I've been lucky enough to have met and befriend the designer and artist Brian Bysouth and this interview is the result of the time I've spent with him. Brian is responsible for some of the most iconic film posters ever printed, including Highlander, Big Trouble in Little China, Raiders of the Lost Ark (style B), The Island at the Top of the World. He also painted what are unquestionably two of the last great James Bond posters; A View to a Kill and The Living Daylights.

He also worked on the seminal covers for the VHS and DVD releases of Star Trek The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine. These and many more feature in this article that also includes never-before-seen sketches and concept artwork.

I'd love to hear what you all think of the article and I do hope you like this look at the life and career of a British film poster legend.

Here's a link to the article: An interview with Brian Bysouth - Film on Paper

My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: An interview with the British designer and artist Brian Bysouth
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:24:26 AM »
Well done very interesting, and two of my favourites, THUNDER and BEONX WARRIORS. Impressive.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »
Another scoop for Film on Paper, first rate Ed. I really enjoyed it. Do you know if Brian did all the Quads for Island at the top of the world, as there's 4 versions I think...? 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:06:06 PM »
Excellent work Ed.  Must have been a trip to interview these artists.... looking forward to the rest!

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »
Awesome!  Did he let you snap pics of his originals or did you get those somewhere else?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »
 clap clap clap clap clap clap
Whatta treat!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »
Excellent work Ed.  Must have been a trip to interview these artists.... looking forward to the rest!

Same here!
Chris

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 05:21:39 PM »
Thanks Ed - I really enjoyed that, 'twas a fascinating read. I wonder how the Rapier Arts office and Downtons compares to modern design agencies working on today's posters! Quite a contrast I should imagine!

I love that original art for Supergirl (shame they altered it for the quad) and The Living Daylights, but my favourite poster of his is the Big Trouble in Little China quad, it's suits the film perfectly.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 05:33:40 PM »
Thanks very much gents!

Paul: I don't know for certain and (stupidly) never asked Brian that. I'll get back to you with an answer.

Charlie: I was lucky to have been given access to his original artwork and these are my own photos.

Tob: There's little doubt that the impact of multi-national advertising companies like WPP had a profound effect on these type of agencies and I reckon it's a completely different environment from what you might have found 30 years ago.

I too love the BTILC quad and it's unquestionably the best paper for the film. One of my favourite John Carpenter posters too.
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper