Author Topic: Skyfall - BEST BOND EVER, CRITICS SAY.  (Read 13055 times)

guest8

Re: Skyfall - BEST BOND EVER, CRITICS SAY.
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 08:14:23 AM »
I will admit that while watching Skyfall I felt some similarities to TDK/DKR .. That was feelings towards a certain tone within parts of the film. But, I liked the Nolan Batman movies .. so maybe that is part of why I liked it. LOL .. It took me a moment to get get Home Alone connection, but that thought made me chuckle. :)

I think some viewers are missing the "bigger" picture .. I still see this film as a continuation of the origin story .. Its giving us the background info that Ian Fleming created for his character. Showing us the man he was before he became the Bond that was so loved in the Connery films. Some people are so closed minded that they hate the new films without ever having watched them, and moan about how the old Bond would have slept with everyone and not cared about anyone and never listened nor cared about "M" .. That sounds like a sociopath to me .. now granted to be in that line of work you probably have to be a little jaded, but in the end you have to care about something .. be it country, honor, god.. the people that you are closest with. I think that the new Bond sleeps with plenty of woman, disobeys just enough and I rather prefer the caring about those closest to him and protecting his beloved England. Even if he is a Scotsman by birth. :P

Repto

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »
I told my two daughters this was part of our cultural heritage and they had to go with my wife and I to see it. They are both teenagers, US born and bred, with British parent inflicted quirks but normal American girls with nice teeth and lightning fast text thumbs. We are definitely becoming less relevant to their lives as parents, there is much more hiding in their room, pop culture on the Internet and going to movies only with their dates. So to some extent I was just being difficult when I gave them a talk about how when I was a kid the only time my parents ever went to the movies and took the whole family too was to see a Bond film or a Carry On.

They have never seen any Bond, from Connery through Brosnan, I could do nothing to persuade them to watch one. I had a plan, I would expose them to Connery's You Only Live Twice, Lazenby's OHMSS, Moore's For Your Eyes only or Brosnan's Die Another Day. I just couldn't get them to try one.

Luckily, they both had parties they wanted to go to so I had enough leverage to make them come to the see Skyfall with us. Despite the eye rolling all the way there, they totally enjoyed them. Because the film manages to reference so much of the 007 back story, I had the pleasure of explaining why his vintage car had machine guns, the cold war and that the MI6 building is a real thing which we will try to go see over Christmas this year. We always do a couple of days decompressing in London after the annual pilgrimage to our ancestral home and spending too much time with relatives. They tweeted how much fun they had to their friends!

I am going to quit while I am ahead now. If this is the only Bond they ever see I am ok with that. I have learned that my enjoyment of the earlier films is heavily colored by nostalgia and it just doesn't translate to them.

I thought it was a great Bond movie because it's more about Bond, who he is and why.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 11:15:39 PM »
Just as good as Skyfall : DN , FRWL , TB , OHMSS , FYEO , TLD  ;)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 11:54:04 PM »
Ha Ha... we've got a Daylights fan!  I have a soft spot for Dalton.  And I definitely agree with FYEO... probably my favorite Moore. 

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
Ha Ha... we've got a Daylights fan!  I have a soft spot for Dalton.  And I definitely agree with FYEO... probably my favorite Moore. 

It's pretty great, but TSWLM has Barbara Bach, so it wins.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 10:39:49 AM »
FYEO and TSWLM are actually my too favorite Moore Bonds... however, they couldn't be more different in terms of big spectacle vs. grittier back-to-basics.  At least as far as the Moore films were concerned.  I appreciate them both for both reasons.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 10:44:40 AM »
I agree.

I also love Dalton. I think Daylights is really a super Bond movie up until they go to Afghanistan, then it goes downhill fast.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 11:30:55 AM »
I agree.

I also love Dalton. I think Daylights is really a super Bond movie up until they go to Afghanistan, then it goes downhill fast.

Agreed.  And I like LTK for the same reasons I like FYEO.