Author Topic: Fantasy Auction  (Read 4617 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Fantasy Auction
« on: February 26, 2010, 10:07:29 PM »
So, I was looking through Heritage's selections for the March signature auction, drooling over so many of the posters that I won't own, but which I like to see.  On top of that, I just got in Ira Resnick's new book which has a forward by Martin Scorsese and a beautiful shot of the onesheet for Gilda.  THEN, as I continue browsing Heritage's site, I see Gilda.  You know, I don't get all bent over the fact that there are many many posters that I will not own unless I win a lottery.  If I had a few million, I would likely buy half of what's available in March.  So, it occurred to me, there are other posters which are somewhat, on a good day with the financial winds at my back, within my price range.  But, for the time being, they are unattainable because of short-term financial constraints and self-imposed (and wife-imposed) attempts at limiting my collecting (the same way a crackhead must try to ration his rocks).  The thought occurred to me - as a feeble balm - how about a fantasy auction list.  If I had an extra ten grand lying around, here's some of what I would pick up.

The Japanese two-panel for Casablanca - what an amazing poster!

The Japanese advance B2 for Breakfast at Tiffany's:

A MINT B0 for one of the finest posters ever produced:  The surf's-up Apocalypse Now:  It's MINT mind you.  Mint!  If you've seen this poster in person, you know why this amazes me.   It's just awesome.  Did I say it's MINT?!

OK, let's add another $20K to the "budget".  Here's some more:

An Italian 2 panel (I think) for Repulsion:

Angry Red Planet onesheet:

Lorna:

Mud Honey:

La Belle et La Bete French large:

2001: A Space Odyssey advance onesheet:

And now, let's just throw the friggin budget out the window and break the bank:

War of the Worlds onesheet:

Metropolis insert:

Ah well, a guy can dream, right?  Thanks to Heritage for the borrowed images.  They're all taken from the March catalog.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dr Hackenbush

Re: Fantasy Auction
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:29:10 PM »
Wow, I just checked the auction and saw that Heritage opens bidding at half the estimated value  :o  That sucks for poster collectors.  With comics they start all auctions at $0.  Much better chance of snagging a deal that way.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is up to the consignor as to whether there will be a reserve or not, and if so what it is.  I've seen quite a few posters *not* sell in the signature auctions due to too high of a reserve.  Granted this was in late 08/early 09 when the market took a dive and posters values were still sky high.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:17:29 PM »
I would also think that at the live event, the opening bid could be lowered.  Perhaps its just the opening bid if anyone is willing to jump in pre-auction, online.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 11:37:32 PM »
Great topic idea! I've been thinking of starting a "2 favorite posters regardless of cost or availability" thread.

By the way, I have this poster if you are interested... You might have to fight my wife for it though!  It is nearly identical to the original release only a few years prior, but that makes it considerably cheaper (3x or so).  It's a real beauty (so to speak)... Even better in person so you can appreciate the size.   

La Belle et La Bete French large:

kauaitx

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:45:59 PM »

I first saw an original Thierry hates "French Grande" of La Belle et La Bete (this image) in the home of a collector friend of mine.  It was the most stunning poster I had ever seen.  I love my Star Wars posters, but this La Belle et La Bete had me standing at the wall of my friend's house just mesmerized.  It made me want one for myself even though I had never seen this movie.  It is simply a piece of art.

Jeannie

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 12:01:22 AM »
I echo those sentiments. That poster is one of the greatest of all times.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is up to the consignor as to whether there will be a reserve or not, and if so what it is.  I've seen quite a few posters *not* sell in the signature auctions due to too high of a reserve.  Granted this was in late 08/early 09 when the market took a dive and posters values were still sky high.

I'm sure many of the lots have reserves, but that's not what I'm referring to.  The opening bid is half the estimate.  I've seen this in some of the other auctions (illustrated art, books) but thought posters would be like comics and open at $0.  I'll just wait until the end of online bidding and see where certain items are at.