Author Topic: APF Price Police: What is your standard for determining "overpaying" at auction?  (Read 51868 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
I struggle with this often, I can find good buys on stuff. But time is money, so if I pay more for an item but save hours, days, weeks or longer looking did I really over pay? I remember (think it was Rich) someone was talking about price vs. time owned and enjoyment vs. not owning. I can see the validity in this idea because if you pay 500 bucks for a poster today that you might never find again, and then enjoy it for 10 years you paid what 50 bucks a year to enjoy it? What a matter of cents everyday? 

yes I also comment on this a few times, usually in reference to my Murder My Sweet 1sh

I paid 3k in 2000, so I've enjoyed this poster for 15 years so far for $200 a year, or about 55 cents a day.
I doubt we have many things we can say we have enjoyed in such fashion.
next year my daily cost goes down to 51 cents (yay)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

It looks like we all have a Mr Mean and Ms NoW inside. Value of money vs poster is relative. I do not care about the poster price police. And this is why:

Story of my poster life

CHAPTER 1 - WAITING

CHAPTER 2- FRUSTRATION...where is it?

CHAPTER 3- FOUND IT!!!

CHAPTER 4- NOW!!!!!!!!!!

CHAPTER 5- GOT MY POSTER

AND THE WAITING STARTS ....AGAIN....

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 02:13:29 PM by Mirosae »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
 ;D   Jollygood, so true...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 02:08:15 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Well said, Rosa.    happy1

guest4754

Ha, that's perfect!

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
 laugh1 Rosa   That is perfect!  laugh1
This Space For Rent!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
haha yep.... Fantastico.

(glad you didnt add the I CANT FIND IT IN ALL MY JUNK gif).
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Yes, Correcto Rosa.

My definition... Anyone who out bid my maximum bid paid too much.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Exactly, Sean.  I've never regretted spending or overspending (within reason, of course) on a poster, but I'm kicked my butt on more than one occasion for being "cheap" and passing on something I really wanted.

L.

In addition, Ive marked things to watch.. and something will sit, be re-listed, sit unsold, be re-listed again... and then, I get smacked with the "what are you waiting for" bug, only to find that the poster has either been sold or removed from the sale/auction list. And that is a bummer feeling, for sure. Doh.gif

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
If only we could turn the clock back, and take some of the chances that we wish we had.  Those are often the biggest regrets.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
You should never regret missing out on a poster for being cheap, because you will always get another chance to buy what you want for the price that you want.  And if you don't, buy something else.  A lot of dealers abuse the hobby and it's a shame.  Patience is key.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
You should never regret missing out on a poster for being cheap, because you will always get another chance to buy what you want for the price that you want.  And if you don't, buy something else.  A lot of dealers abuse the hobby and it's a shame.  Patience is key.

T

This may be true most of the time, but for the eras and decades that I most favor, some of the posters (that I hesitated on and missed) have yet to re-appear again -- and in a good number of years, in some cases.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:57:40 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
You should never regret missing out on a poster for being cheap, because you will always get another chance to buy what you want for the price that you want. 
LOL
80s - 2010s - absolutely true, and probably next week. (it's just Back to the Future, don't panic)
60s - 70s - probably true, might have to wait a month or two (it's just Breakfast at Tiffany's, don't panic, next HA catalog will be here soon)
50s - hopefully you can find one within the next year (but not if you are waiting on a 50ft Woman 3-sheet or something)
40s - yes, you might get another chance  before we elect a new President (unless it's a Wolf Man insert)
30s - you might get another chance, when that buyer dies (I passed on the Mummy 1-sheet, cause T said another will come up for the price I want)
20s or earlier - good luck with that. (I'm sure another Metropolis 3-sheet is around the corner lol)

And if you don't, buy something else.  A lot of dealers abuse the hobby and it's a shame.  Patience is key.

As long as you are willing to settle for something that wasn't your first choice, there will be lots of things to buy.
Dealers abusing the hobby sucks.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
This may be true most of the time, but for the eras and decades that I most favor, some of the posters (that I hesitated on and missed) have yet to re-appear again -- and in a good number of years, in some cases.  :'(

What are the eras and decades that you most favor and what are those rare posters that you missed that have yet to re-appear again?  Examples?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder

Pokeman - Gotta Catch Them All
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Pokeman - Gotta Catch Them All

You're looking for one, too, huh?

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket

Examples?

Since they're uber rare, probably best not to mention them here, as it could be drawing more potential bidders/buyers.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:33:27 PM by Neo »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
You're looking for one, too, huh?

You knnoooowwwww what I like :)
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Since they're uber rare, probably best not to mention them here, as it could be drawing more potential bidders/buyers.

I didn't know that Jeff was so much into uber rare posters, the ones he missed and obviously the ones he has acquired.  Now I wish I'd see more of his collection.  Please do share, Jeff.

bed1

T
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
What are the eras and decades that you most favor and what are those rare posters that you missed that have yet to re-appear again?  Examples?

T

Here is one I wanted that I missed T (my second favorite Universal poster). This was 15 years ago and one has yet to appear again on the market. How long will I need to wait to find one for say, $30K?

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
I dont make or have a list, though there are certain actors, directors that I like. The era/decades I was referring to are the 1920s-early 40s. I will look to see if I saved the images from these past auctions or sales.

The posters were not super pricey, as I recall, just that my delay at the time caused them to be snatched away, and I kick myself a little when I think about my procrastinating.  :-\

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Here is one I wanted that I missed T (my second favorite Universal poster). This was 15 years ago and one has yet to appear again on the market. How long will I need to wait to find one for say, $30K?

Love this one, Sean. Wow.  bed1

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
I dont make or have a list, though there are certain actors, directors that I like. The era/decades I was referring to are the 1920s-early 40s. I will look to see if I saved the images from these past auctions or sales.

The posters were not super pricey, as I recall, just that my delay at the time caused them to be snatched away, and I kick myself a little when I think about my procrastinating.  :-\

Agree.  I was thinking about starting a thread on cool border art for lobby cards from the 30's.  The titles are nothing special, but there is a certain grace to the card design that got lost later on.

Again, not valuable.  I usually pick them up for under $30, but the likelyhood of seeing a particular title coming up again is slim to none.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:31:32 PM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters

Yeah, I guess I'm much more laid back about it than some.  In short, I don't care.  A lot of "rarer" posters that I missed because of price eventually came back and I got them for what I wanted.  I never buy from dealers because they almost always overcharge (sometimes by a lot) and I don't see why I should pay their overhead when I can just wait and pay less.  Now if I miss something as rare as what you posted above and I miss it because I didn't pay enough, I shrug it off and just move to the next piece.  There are so many posters out there.  One less or one more doesn't make a difference to me.  They're just movie posters.

T
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:35:55 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
There are so many posters out there.  One less or one more doesn't make a difference to me.  They're just movie posters.
T

That goes back to my statement above - As long as you are willing to settle for something that wasn't your first choice, there will be lots of things to buy.

Here's another I doubt I will see again, but I took your attitude on it.
Bruce sold this card from Dwight Cleveland's collection a couple of years ago, I've never seen it before and heck it might be unique or near unique, and I liked it but decided I just wasn't going to spend a few hundred bucks on it. One more or less "kissing scene" is no big deal. (but I would still be interested if anyone has one they want to sell for less than Bruce's price lol )

www.Kaijuposters.com