Author Topic: APF Price Police: What is your standard for determining "overpaying" at auction?  (Read 51821 times)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Some of us use forums as therapy, letting others know that you find Justin Beiber attractive is just part of that healing process, and getting to know yourself and love yourself (and Justin)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Some of us use forums as therapy, letting others know that you find Justin Beiber attractive is just part of that healing process, and getting to know yourself and love yourself (and Justin)

That made me laugh.

sm1

Originally, Holiday and I created the forum for therapeutic reasons, from the East coast to the West coast... and then you guys joined.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Ah, but can he match up to SJP - you're fave of all time?

Shit, too many games to watch today to follow the great rhetoric of this forum.

That is really funny, though.  And yes, I got these posters for free, but even if I hadn't, I still believe Justin is better looking, or at least looks smarter than Keanu.

T
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
I was about to say that, at least, I don't own any SJP posters... and then I checked my database and realized I was wrong.

I own a bunch :(

Hocus Pocus (because of Struzan)
Ed Wood (because of Burton)
Miami Rhapsody (because...  I don't know)
Mars Attacks! (Burton)
Family Stone (???)
Smart People (???)

I feel dirty.  Very dirty.  

PS: Oh yeah, Smart People is Ellen Page's.  I like Ellen Page.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:43:40 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
That made me laugh.

sm1

Originally, Holiday and I created the forum for therapeutic reasons, from the East coast to the West coast... and then you guys joined.

T

And it was all downhill from there....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Matt

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Damn you Matt - that gif sucked me into its black hole!
Chris

Matt

Job well done gif. ;)

Charlie

That's what it's all about, Charlie.  Maybe you could have waited another 6 months and get it even cheaper ;)  

Did you buy it from Hideyuki's most recent batch?

T

Yeah got it from Hideyuki. I owe a big thanks to Mel who tipped me off...  I saw you going after it last time and backed off since I have the OS I was ok with it...  I felt terrible when I got the e-mail and I was out to dinner with friends for the first time in a long time and there I am trying to buy poster on my driod... Maybe my wife is right - I am obsessed...

I also picked up that Equilibrium B1 Silver Mylar that went for $150 to $200 or something last time for $98 bucks another instance where I wasn't sucked into the vacuum and it came up again...  Now just need an Amelie to pop up for $100...

Charlie

Checks ebay, with friends, forums, etc... for 3 minutes a day for two years trying to find the PF adv on the cheap (~36 hrs).  He gets frustrated and eventually finds the Struzens (~2 hours) and, after waiting for the drop, hitting refresh, etc... (~1 hour), he buys an extra copy as trade-bait for $280. Then after more searching for willing traders (~3 hours) and packaging up the poster and mailing it (~1 hour), he finally gets his PF adv for $280.

But I think that part of the fun is finding items for less.  The 'hunt' - this has inherent entertainment value.  If I was a millionaire and could buy everyone of bruce's posters what would be the fun in that.  I could just hire someone to sit and place bids...  One of the reason I like dealing with my 'crack dealer' is I never know what he is going to find for me, what the prices wil be, the haggling, etc.  Like my dad finding those beer posters, he's never had so much fun.  If we all had the means to buy what ever we wanted then why buy at all...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Collecting posters is very personal we do it because it does something to our senses, some of us can't even define what that is. It's not a race, there is no prize awarded to the person with the most titles, the most expensive collection, the biggest and so on. Every single person here appreciates the desire, the enjoyment and the fun that one can get out of chasing, finding and collecting movie posters and certainly sharing our 'wins' with fellow collectors is part of what makes a hobby so enjoyable (not matter what that hobby is).

Time spent collecting is not a rateable expense and money spent adding to ones collection when it brings personal enjoyment should not be up for criticism.

This man has it all together.
 cheers

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
But I think that part of the fun is finding items for less.  The 'hunt' - this has inherent entertainment value.  If I was a millionaire and could buy everyone of bruce's posters what would be the fun in that.  I could just hire someone to sit and place bids...  One of the reason I like dealing with my 'crack dealer' is I never know what he is going to find for me, what the prices wil be, the haggling, etc.  Like my dad finding those beer posters, he's never had so much fun.  If we all had the means to buy what ever we wanted then why buy at all...

Like I said, I love it too... but I need to be honest with myself that it takes lots of valuable time to find all these "deals". 

Offline enki

• Collector
Beats me! But if you ask "mail@emovieposter.com" before Monday I will make sure they answer you promptly.

One thought occurs to me. Any chance the three posters were not good to combine and were sent in two packages?

Bruce,

We received both packages today (the poster tube and the other 'unknown' one). The latter ended up being a single book - Cartoon Movie Posters. Not sure how/why I received it, but I didn't have that one so it was a pleasant surprise. Was that an oops, or did you guys send out random books to people even if they didn't meet the prior item requirements?

Bruce

Aha! You bought from our All--Animation auction and EVERY buyer got one of those books, which has been out of print forever, but I found some boxes of them just in time for this auction.

I am glad you liked it.

Offline enki

• Collector
Aha! You bought from our All--Animation auction and EVERY buyer got one of those books, which has been out of print forever, but I found some boxes of them just in time for this auction.

I am glad you liked it.

Ah, that makes sense. I did purchase a couple Simpsons posters a month or so ago. I guess the fact that it was sent out right with my latest acquisitions made me thing it was related to the MM.

Coolbeans!

Bruce

Ah, that makes sense. I did purchase a couple Simpsons posters a month or so ago. I guess the fact that it was sent out right with my latest acquisitions made me thing it was related to the MM.

Coolbeans!

If I remember right, you STOLE those Simpsons posters!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
 bump.gif' ing  this thread

There is some great commentary (thoughts and ideas) as well as varying points of view.

Lots of Good stuff!

(And where have enki (James) and ATLfun (Brian) been hiding out?)  binoc.gif
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:19:28 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
Jeff Nice bump....good read!!

Like I said, I love it too... but I need to be honest with myself that it takes lots of valuable time to find all these "deals". 
<my2cents>

I struggle with this often, I can find good buys on stuff. But time is money, so if I pay more for an item but save hours, days, weeks or longer looking did I really over pay? I remember (think it was Rich) someone was talking about price vs. time owned and enjoyment vs. not owning. I can see the validity in this idea because if you pay 500 bucks for a poster today that you might never find again, and then enjoy it for 10 years you paid what 50 bucks a year to enjoy it? What a matter of cents everyday? 

</my2cents>
This Space For Rent!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
So true, Chris.

It's the discussion and varied opinion, that I think is so great.

It's the "wait and patience" mentality, vs. the so-called Veruka Salt (Willy Wonka) "I WANT IT NOW" mode, that some also have. In that scenario, dollars get lost or overspent, in the mix, many times.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 12:39:52 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Jeff Nice bump....good read!!
<my2cents>

I struggle with this often, I can find good buys on stuff. But time is money, so if I pay more for an item but save hours, days, weeks or longer looking did I really over pay? I remember (think it was Rich) someone was talking about price vs. time owned and enjoyment vs. not owning. I can see the validity in this idea because if you pay 500 bucks for a poster today that you might never find again, and then enjoy it for 10 years you paid what 50 bucks a year to enjoy it? What a matter of cents everyday? 

</my2cents>

That might have been me - here is what I wrote last year about price vs. time:

While you can probably find a Back to the Future 1-sheet for sale every week for the next 10 years, that is just not always the case with what the heart wants (right Rosa and her 3 posters?).
So if it finally shows up for sale and you can purchase it without breaking the bank, do it and enjoy it now.
I want a Jungle Woman insert, the last time I saw one for sale it sold for about $25 more than I was willing to pay. That was 10 years ago.
I may very well find it for less money whenever it turns up, but not only have I wasted a few minutes each week searching for it, I have missed out on 10 years of enjoying that poster. I was a blockhead to let it get away when I could have easily afforded it.

I would even apply this to Back to the Future. Let's say that for some reason in 10 years no one wants that title (doubtful, but let's say...) and you can buy it for $50 instead of $150.  Is it really worth $100 to delay enjoyment for 10 years?
You wouldn't get $10 a year worth of enjoyment from owning that poster?
If not, this probably isn't the hobby for you.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
That might have been me - here is what I wrote last year about price vs. time:

While you can probably find a Back to the Future 1-sheet for sale every week for the next 10 years, that is just not always the case with what the heart wants (right Rosa and her 3 posters?).
So if it finally shows up for sale and you can purchase it without breaking the bank, do it and enjoy it now.
I want a Jungle Woman insert, the last time I saw one for sale it sold for about $25 more than I was willing to pay. That was 10 years ago.
I may very well find it for less money whenever it turns up, but not only have I wasted a few minutes each week searching for it, I have missed out on 10 years of enjoying that poster. I was a blockhead to let it get away when I could have easily afforded it.

I would even apply this to Back to the Future. Let's say that for some reason in 10 years no one wants that title (doubtful, but let's say...) and you can buy it for $50 instead of $150.  Is it really worth $100 to delay enjoyment for 10 years?
You wouldn't get $10 a year worth of enjoyment from owning that poster?

If not, this probably isn't the hobby for you.

clap clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline lynaron

• Collector
Exactly, Sean.  I've never regretted spending or overspending (within reason, of course) on a poster, but I'm kicked my butt on more than one occasion for being "cheap" and passing on something I really wanted.

L.
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
I'll join the club Sean and Lyn, so right....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
I only have one non-binding regret......I should have went after the Frankenstein sold on emovie recently...it  would have looked so good next to my 50r red/black Kong......http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/11620661.html
Funny thing is I remember talking to you Jeff about my considerations of said poster...... doh
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:28:56 PM by Gingerman »
This Space For Rent!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
kicked my butt on more than one occasion for being "cheap" and passing on something I really wanted.

L.

You and me both buddy.  crying

Just about a month ago I put this into use for a great example. An auction came up that had four cards from Matango (Attack of the Mushroom People) in it and I only needed three of the cards.  Decided that I didn't care, that I had been looking for these cards for over 20 years and f you combine all the cards offered for sale in that time period you couldn't come up with a full set, so how much longer should I wait?  I won the auction, and the other three cards I probably couldn't sell for half what I paid, but I really don't care as I'm getting full enjoyment out of them.

This is the one I needed. :)

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com