Author Topic: Two different million dollar books in the same week  (Read 34882 times)

Arcade

Re: Two different million dollar books in the same week
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2010, 12:05:56 AM »
I dont know a damned thing about comic books but the idea of any central authority controlling anything just makes me cringe with thoughts of a Joseph Stalin aka douchesss maximus.  :P

Just take a deep breath. All will be OK.  :)

CGC does not "control" anything.
Raw book sales continue to this very day, and the little plastic cases open right up. There is nothing to be afraid of.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2010, 12:56:15 AM »
Its all bullshit if you ask me. I am a tight wad collector and the CGC priced me out of any key book that a local dealer would grade out of VF+ cause they all get submitted to the national comic book lottery. I literally no longer buy back issues purely because of CGC grading and artificial price inflation.

Bust out the Tommy Boy guarantee quote!

Arcade

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2010, 01:14:29 AM »
Its all bullshit if you ask me. I am a tight wad collector and the CGC priced me out of any key book that a local dealer would grade out of VF+ cause they all get submitted to the national comic book lottery. I literally no longer buy back issues purely because of CGC grading and artificial price inflation.

Bust out the Tommy Boy guarantee quote!

Hey Dale, Sorry you don't care for CGC, but you did beat me at emovieposter today. I had bid on the Steve Martin "The Jerk" poster, but because of other purchases that got a bit out of hand, I really could not go for it like I wanted to.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2010, 01:32:26 AM »
How many collectors can tell the difference between a 9 and a 9.8. The price difference is astronomical and the reason CGC exists is because of people not trusting their local dealer. I don't get it and never will. It turns $500 books into $5000 books. Why? because someone stuck their head up the butchers ass err... because a grading expert says so. Come on! this is the equivalent of the sports card chase card that ruined that hobby. You can no longer buy a non CGC high grade book because everyone wants paid because their book looks good.

Arcade

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2010, 01:58:06 AM »
How many collectors can tell the difference between a 9 and a 9.8. The price difference is astronomical and the reason CGC exists is because of people not trusting their local dealer. I don't get it and never will. It turns $500 books into $5000 books. Why? because someone stuck their head up the butchers ass err... because a grading expert says so. Come on! this is the equivalent of the sports card chase card that ruined that hobby. You can no longer buy a non CGC high grade book because everyone wants paid because their book looks good.

Dale, Just go over the the CGC Forum "For Sale Threads".
There are killer raw copy books for sale on there every day at awesome prices.
Not everyone on the forum collects just graded books.
Just check out one of Brian/Foolkillers sales threads and you will see that what you claim above is just not true.
I buy high quality ungraded books all the time.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2010, 10:29:11 AM »

If you can't tell the difference between a 9.0 and a 9.8 you shouldn't be buying back issues, period.  That's like asking a poster collector if they can tell the difference between a VF/NM poster and a NM/M one.  The reason people have gravitated to CGC is because of local & national dealers.  You know, the ones that knowingly overgraded books or didn't disclose restoration.  They only have their greedy, unethical asses to blame for the explosion of slabbed books.  That's why there are still old school dealers that despise CGC - they can't pass off their overgraded, restored books anymore.  I see that all the time at cons.  Has CGC priced many books out of collectors' budgets?  They sure have, but they've also allowed the average collector to be able to buy and sell on par with the dealer - something they couldn't do before.  I've heard dealers bitch about people wanting slabbed prices for their raw books, then the same dealers price their inventory the same way!  Dependent on what you collect, you can buy slabbed books for less than their raw counterpart, crack it out and have a decent looking copy to read.  I can send you links to dealers that primarily deal in raw comics if you like, again, depending on what you collect.  

Bruce

« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2010, 05:25:09 PM »
"You know, the ones that knowingly overgraded books or didn't disclose restoration."

This is as true of posters as it is of comic books!

Bruce

Arcade

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2010, 06:13:29 PM »
"You know, the ones that knowingly overgraded books or didn't disclose restoration."

Bruce

thumbup

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2010, 06:28:39 PM »

Bruce

My guess is that it's true of every collectible hobby, Bruce.  I can't see comics & movie posters being the only exception. 

Bruce

« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »
I hear its even MORE true of baseball cards and coins.

Apparently, stamps is one of the only hobbies not afflicted by this, but I hear that will change soon!

hitself hitself hitself hitself

Bruce

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2010, 08:38:52 AM »
I hear its even MORE true of baseball cards and coins.

I used to collect sports cards way back in the day but the pigs at the central authority ruined that for me.

On the other hand maybe I should thank the assholes. If they hadnt screwed up sports cards I wouldnt have started collecting sports autographs and now movie posters. Both of which have been far more satisfying hobbies. Nothing as unrewarding as getting a card in a slab....whoopie!...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:57:16 AM by Zorba »

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2010, 11:50:11 AM »
I used to collect sports cards way back in the day but the pigs at the central authority ruined that for me.

On the other hand maybe I should thank the assholes. If they hadnt screwed up sports cards I wouldnt have started collecting sports autographs and now movie posters. Both of which have been far more satisfying hobbies. Nothing as unrewarding as getting a card in a slab....whoopie!...

You do realize that sports autographs have just as many fakes, if not more, circulating as movie posters do

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2010, 12:28:46 PM »
You do realize that sports autographs have just as many fakes, if not more, circulating as movie posters do

I do...and I probably got a couple of fakes in the beginning ..Thats why I get most of em in person at shows when the athletes are there.  The ones I dont get personally signed I get from the same guy Ive been buying from for 10? years at shows. :)

DEFINATELY BEWARE EBAY and autographs. I have only gotten 2 autographs (In person Barry Sanders and Kenny Stabler) in the last year plus since I switched to posters but I hadnt bought more than a 5? off of Ebay. Im far too paranoid for that.

Just take a deep breath. All will be OK.  :)

I just reread my posts and I see where I sound like an ass.  :-[ I have no problem with people buying slabbed stuff. I personally dont like em much. I have some graded cards but I just dont enjoy em like the movie posters or the mini helmets I had signed. Plus I bought them there slabbed cards for much more than they are worth now cause I was too dense to see the collapse coming  :P :-[ moron1 :'( 8) ;D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 12:45:28 PM by Zorba »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2012, 09:00:20 PM »
Don't really follow comic book auctions but this restored 1938 Action #1 is up for bid. Ad says that only 50 out of 200,000 originally printed have survived primarily due to WWII paper drives.  

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:01:40 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »