Author Topic: The "newbie" thing  (Read 13198 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
The "newbie" thing
« on: December 17, 2009, 08:22:18 PM »
I hate it.  I need suggestions for the names that are achieved with each level of posting.  I'm happy to have suggestions.  Pick a theme, and then give me 6 levels so that I can replace the current structure which is the default on the board.

H
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

linder1

Re: The "newbie" thing
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 09:17:43 PM »
This doesn't really work but maybe someone can take the concept and make it much better.

Browser
Beginner
Hobbyist
Collector
Hoarder
Curator

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 09:18:22 PM »
I was going to suggest something like: 1) Lobby Card, 2) Insert, 3) Half-Sheet, 4) One Sheet, 5) 3 Sheet etc etc etc (to the TOP level being DAYBILL of course ;) )...

But then I remembered this forum will be about ALL kinds of posters and so that system probably won't be adequate.
Chris

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 09:39:13 PM »
Why do you need any at all?
Ves

linder1

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:44:10 PM »
B/c he doesn't like 'newbie'...

I agree at least about newbie, since that has a pejorative connotation.

Can you just get rid of the titles altogether?  Maybe no titles at all is the best solution.  Why have ranks?  Now that I re-read the question I think that's what you meant...

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 09:48:21 PM »
Erich,

That's what I meant...not have any at all...I'm not sure I understand the need.
All it means is that some of us talk crap more often than others...not that we have any more (or less) knowledge...

I always hated how people assumed your post volume was any indication of what you knew in terms of the hobby.
Some people only choose to post when they have something to contribute, rather than choose to comment on every thread that they think X rules or Y sucks...
Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 10:02:10 PM »
I think Ves brings up a very valid point.

While I was trying to be (somewhat) helpful in my suggestion, I would really prefer there not being any levels at all...
Chris

linder1

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 10:14:03 PM »
I would support this as well.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 10:35:09 PM »
all good points.  I don't know if I have the option of deleting the whole concept.  It's something that's built into this particular forum code.  I'll look into it and let you know what I find.

H
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

kauaitx

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 11:27:21 PM »

Since it's smf that you're using, Holiday, you should be able to do away with rankings altogether.

In case you can't, how about levels of fruit?  Like, you start out as an ordinary grape and then you advance to becoming a coconut.  Eventually, after years of service to APF, you become a watermelon or the Great Pumpkin.  Exotic fruits like the mangosteen and Miracle Fruit work for me, too. 

Oh, and levels of candy:  You start out as the common Tootsie Roll or Brach's butterscotch.  At your midlevel development, you're a Hershey's nutbar, but once you pass mediocrity, you're fine handmade Belgium Chocolate (and reserve the pretenders for Godiva.)   But, since I love Pop Rocks, this should be reserved for the ultimate supreme poster collecting being.

Jeannie

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 11:38:20 PM »
I can't turn the damned thing off. So, I've modified Erich's list a bit, and now there's Beginner, Hobbyist, Collector, Hoarder, and Curator.  Each level is at 25. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

kauaitx

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 11:41:40 PM »

You don't like fruits? 

Jeannie

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 11:43:58 PM »
I thought maybe Jeannie would suggest levels of NERFS...

Like first you are a shaved nerf herder and you work your way up to scruffy (well scruffy-looking) nerf herder?
Chris

kauaitx

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 12:15:49 AM »

Brilliant, Chris!

I'm ashamed I didn't think of it.  What kind of Star Wars Supreme Geek Queen am I?!?

Jeannie

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 12:16:57 AM »
I thought maybe Jeannie would suggest levels of NERFS...

Like first you are a shaved nerf herder and you work your way up to scruffy (well scruffy-looking) nerf herder?

Missed the fruits.  But then again, I think we're all fruits for some of the things we go through to get a poster.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 12:34:17 AM »
OR you could change the levels, so 1,-5 is MEMBER, after youve posted 5 times you are APF MEMBER
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

cinemarts

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 07:15:36 AM »
I think Ari's makes the most sense of all, if you can't turn them off completely (Ves's suggestion).
No, it's not an Australian Revolution, though I do know that many Australian's do find the need to pin
labels on things a bit inconsequential.

linder1

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 08:08:07 AM »
You said member.

easyenders

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 08:12:27 AM »
Missed the fruits.  But then again, I think we're all fruits for some of the things we go through to get a poster.

can't say i've ever been held in that position.

easyenders

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 08:19:26 AM »
I think Ari's makes the most sense of all, if you can't turn them off completely (Ves's suggestion).
No, it's not an Australian Revolution, though I do know that many Australian's do find the need to pin
labels on things a bit inconsequential.

how about 1-10 russell crowe
11-30 jason donovan
30-50 rodney marsh
51-69 kylie minogue
70 - 99 dennis lillee
100 + rolf harris

guest8

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 09:26:18 AM »
Not that it matters much .. just an idea .. Why not make the levels a little more separated .. like 50 to get to the 2nd level .. then like 100-200 more to get to the third and like 1000 or so to get to the last .. This way the levels really means something .. Its not just some new member that came in and posts Hi in 50 threads cant be on the same supreme level as the rest of us awesome folk ;)

easyenders

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 09:44:20 AM »
I feel levels should be eliminated......otherwise one could become the all supreme ruler.....and look what happens then! Everybody equal I say, but maybe some more equal than others.

will

easyenders

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 10:07:21 AM »
Not that it matters much .. just an idea .. Why not make the levels a little more separated .. like 50 to get to the 2nd level .. then like 100-200 more to get to the third and like 1000 or so to get to the last .. This way the levels really means something .. Its not just some new member that came in and posts Hi in 50 threads cant be on the same supreme level as the rest of us awesome folk ;)

so competitive......the last time I got into such a competitive state was with a guy called Dale, we got in such a frazzle over the last box or 'horney nut cornflakes'.

guest8

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 10:16:29 AM »
'horney nut cornflakes'.

LOL .. Thats awesome!

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 11:02:50 PM »
I agree with the folks who've said that the levels are useless.  It's not a marathon to post just for the sake of getting a few frakin stars.  I think Ari's suggestion may be the best.  Get 5 posts and you're a member.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery