Author Topic: Books about movie industry economics  (Read 3392 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Books about movie industry economics
« on: February 20, 2010, 10:44:06 AM »
Entertainment Weekly this week reviewed "The Hollywood Economist: The Hidden Financial Reality Behind The Movies" by Edward Epstein.  A few years ago he wrote "The Big Picture."

In 2005's The Big Picture, Epstein did a terrific job of shedding light on some of the film industry's most puzzling business practices, such as the head-scratching division of profits between stars and studios. But his new book, while just as fact-packed, does readers a disservice by 
 using one of Hollywood's own long-treasured tactics: repackaging.

Made up mainly of reworked entries from Epstein's Slate columns, The Hollywood Economist is essentially a spruced-up retread of The Big Picture. The book's watercooler points (theaters make money on concessions, not movies; tax credits and presales can make a film profitable before it ever hits theaters) won't come as a shock to amateur box office gurus. Still, there's fun to be had in knowing specifics, and Epstein
 offers plenty, including a breakdown of Arnold Schwarzenegger's Terminator 3 contract.

Anybody read either of these? I'm curious if they discus movie posters. I'll try to get copies from my local library.