Author Topic: Vintage paper - going up or down?  (Read 23893 times)

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
Re: Vintage paper - going up or down?
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 07:37:25 PM »
I see the 100 year mark as significant. To my thinking this is where the object shifts from mere collectible to genuine antique. For me the "connection" theory is bogus, pessimistic, and just doesn't make sense. Everyone likes movies. People don't just collect stamps they remember licking!!
Awareness is growing and after 15 years of the internet the total number of posters in the market is becoming defined.
Earlier the material the better, and go squirrels!

Everyone likes different movies.  When something comes out these days and I say, oh that's a remake of X, most people have no idea what I am talking about.
I've lost count of the number of people who have never heard of let alone seen Blade Runner, so why would they want a poster for it?

If I offer my nephew (almost 18) a one sheet for a Chaplin movie or a one sheet for Halloween, Halloween will win hands down.
Why would someone pay top dollar for something they know nothing about, and never have/or likely will never see?

I also know no one of the current generation that collects stamps...people these days seem to like collecting friends on facebook :)

Awareness of what is growing?

If you are thinking about movie posters as an "investment" we will never come to common ground on this topic.
Ves

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 07:42:02 PM »

Yet early posters still have that artistic merit, even if no one has heard of the film. A great poster is still a great poster. People will still buy them as they look great on the wall as a piece of art....

This I agree with completely...the older stuff (IMHO) is much much nicer than the manjority of stuff churned out these days.
I just don't think the current generation or the coming generations will care that much or will want to pay that much unless the title is one of the iconic few.

Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »
Go clean your mouth, you bastard!  ;)

Sorry - I really meant "Jungle-themed" posters ;)
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »
This I agree with completely...the older stuff (IMHO) is much much nicer than the manjority of stuff churned out these days.
I just don't think the current generation or the coming generations will care that much or will want to pay that much unless the title is one of the iconic few.

I agree too.  And I was not arguing this point Paul.  As you know and I am a vintage paper lover  ;D - but I just fail to see the majority of silent posters (and a lot of 30s-50s) ever being appreciated enough solely as pieces of art to sustain any kind of expanding market.

But fear not chicken littles - this will be great for those of us that DO appreciate these posters
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 09:13:44 PM »
Everyone likes different movies.  When something comes out these days and I say, oh that's a remake of X, most people have no idea what I am talking about.
I've lost count of the number of people who have never heard of let alone seen Blade Runner, so why would they want a poster for it?

If I offer my nephew (almost 18) a one sheet for a Chaplin movie or a one sheet for Halloween, Halloween will win hands down.
Why would someone pay top dollar for something they know nothing about, and never have/or likely will never see?

I also know no one of the current generation that collects stamps...people these days seem to like collecting friends on facebook :)

Awareness of what is growing?

If you are thinking about movie posters as an "investment" we will never come to common ground on this topic.

Well put Ves.  A lot of what I am driving at...and I am not saying I believe it is an overly joyous thing that posters for silent films are becoming less and less desirable overall - it's just a harsh reality of time (and people) passing on by...

Who knows - next you might be agreeing with the Arseless one about something (even Eyes Wide Shut perhaps?  :o )
Chris

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 09:29:32 PM »
Who knows - next you might be agreeing with the Arseless one about something (even Eyes Wide Shut perhaps?  :o )

When pigs fly...
Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 09:49:11 PM »
When pigs fly...

Too bad Ari doesn't like bacon - would help him to continue developing that arse ;)
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 10:13:58 PM »

;D    thumbup

I have no idea on which way its going but I would like to see them all go down in value.  :P

I have seen a few oldies go for what I could afford lately but I just didnt want those. There are many I would like, so again, heres hoping.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 10:41:52 PM »
Sorry - I really meant "Jungle-themed" posters ;)

Ok, you are allowed to spend your money on those beauties (just not the ones I want)  :)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2012, 12:08:51 AM »
Ok, you are allowed to spend your money on those beauties (just not the ones I want)  :)

What about Lon Chaney jungle-themed posters?
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2012, 12:13:10 AM »
What about Lon Chaney jungle-themed posters?

If Chaney co-stars with an obscure argentinean starlet from the 20s and the poster is for a lost jungle film, I might give it a go  :)
Matias

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2012, 12:17:21 AM »
I've seen it in so may other collectable fields, just when you thought something was really rare there is a "find' of stacks and stacks of shit no one ever thought existed.  I see that with the 70's & 80's, just loads of stuff waiting to be rediscovered.

ozcinemagic

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2012, 12:38:52 AM »
Movies are a reflection of the times, and in turn a snapshot of our social history. When a poster is both appealing visually and representative of a time gone by, then it will be desired. The connection is the shared human condition.

What do book collectors want? They want first editions. Comic collectors, currency, toys, furniture, militaria, folk art etc. Same answer I suspect.

What will pass is the '80s material. It will flow straight into nineties posters, and then linger in obscurity for another 70 years until they reach antique status. I'll put my house on that!

My cup is not half empty. It runneth over, ye doomsayers!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2012, 01:00:57 AM »
If Chaney co-stars with an obscure argentinean starlet from the 20s and the poster is for a lost jungle film, I might give it a go  :)

We'll see what we can do  :D
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2012, 01:03:11 AM »

What will pass is the '80s material. It will flow straight into nineties posters, and then linger in obscurity for another 70 years until they reach antique status. I'll put my house on that!

Too bad most of us won't be alive to take over the deed on that property! ;)

Antique status (which really is just an arbitrary age cut off) does not equate with high value...
Chris

ozcinemagic

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 01:06:34 AM »
Too bad most of us won't be alive to take over the deed on that property! ;)

Antique status (which really is just an arbitrary age cut off) does not equate with high value...

You don't see music passing through the same revival phase?
Decade after decade, reliable as the sun coming up.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 01:08:50 AM »
You don't see music passing through the same revival phase?
Decade after decade, reliable as the sun coming up.

Yes - but that's something different altogether in my opinion.

No one is recycling silent movies (let alone silent movie posters)
Chris

ozcinemagic

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 01:12:44 AM »
Yes - but that's something different altogether in my opinion.

No one is recycling silent movies (let alone silent movie posters)

It's exactly the same. People looking back on their youth around the 40 mark. Followed shortly by a convertible and hair transplant!  :P

You pessimists are just about done, I reckon.

whip

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:13:47 AM by ozcinemagic »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 01:15:09 AM »
It's exactly the same. People looking back on their youth around the 40 mark. Followed shortly by a convertible and hair transplant!  :P

You pessimists are just about done, I reckon.

whip

:P

So those 105 year olds looking back on their youth are going to start buying silent posters when exactly?
Chris

ozcinemagic

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2012, 01:32:22 AM »
:P

So those 105 year olds looking back on their youth are going to start buying silent posters when exactly?

About 21 days ...

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7060&lotNo=83024

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 01:33:31 AM »
Movies are a reflection of the times, and in turn a snapshot of our social history. When a poster is both appealing visually and representative of a time gone by, then it will be desired. The connection is the shared human condition.

What do book collectors want? They want first editions. Comic collectors, currency, toys, furniture, militaria, folk art etc. Same answer I suspect.

My cup is not half empty. It runneth over, ye doomsayers!

Desired by whom?  Someone that has never seen the film, or that type of film (say silent)?
Why?  I don't get why they would want to own a poster for something they personally have no connection to?  I understand a want to own the first edition of your favourite book, or all the old comics of your favourite superhero.
To buy the odd piece here or there because you really like the art etc. I understand, but some increase in interest from the generations to come for old posters for silent movies (for example)?  We all want to think what we own will be worth squillions in the years to come, but the reality is unfortunately not.
Ves

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2012, 01:37:02 AM »
 We all want to think what we own will be worth squillions in the years to come, but the reality is unfortunately not.

You can send me all your worthless junk anytime Ves  ;)
Matias

ozcinemagic

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2012, 01:40:51 AM »
Desired by whom?  Someone that has never seen the film, or that type of film (say silent)?
Why?  I don't get why they would want to own a poster for something they personally have no connection to?  I understand a want to own the first edition of your favourite book, or all the old comics of your favourite superhero.
To buy the odd piece here or there because you really like the art etc. I understand, but some increase in interest from the generations to come for old posters for silent movies (for example)?  We all want to think what we own will be worth squillions in the years to come, but the reality is unfortunately not.

Ves, you have a large collection of Aus posters. The connection / attraction is not reliant on you physically being at the original theatre release, is it? You are a collector, that's who will buy the posters. More collectors entering the field.

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2012, 01:41:21 AM »
You can send me all your worthless junk anytime Ves  ;)

You got in first so only fair ;)
Ves

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2012, 01:47:16 AM »
 woohoo
Matias