Author Topic: Fake Alert  (Read 9282 times)

Carson

Fake Alert
« on: February 17, 2010, 05:01:15 PM »
The best way to avoid misrepresented items, reprints and bootlegs before buying is by knowing what to look for and what to ask the seller.

Post clear examples of auction-description dishonesty, commercial reprints being sold as original, bootlegs and garage prints as you come across them when browisng to help new and old collectors know what to look for. NOTE: If you are unsure if it is a fugazi (a fake) find out before posting.

This BaT comes from garthnw on eBay: here

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Fake Alert
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:15:52 PM »
Yup, have it on my watch list to see if they get some sucker to bite.  Undersized, no folds, no stamp on the back... FAKE.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:33:50 PM »
Looks like it is missing the NSS number (image taken from Heritage ha.com)

Juli

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:53:44 PM »
I was watching this auction and noticed it 5 minutes before it ended that the bids had been cleared so it had zero bids. Then at the last seconds two people bid against each over and the thing sold for over $2000  :o

~ Juli

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 11:07:27 PM »
That is HORRIBLE!  I just filed a report through eBay due to the poster being miscategorized.  The auction has already ended though so I'm not sure it will carry any weight. If the buyer wises up I figured it would be good to have on file for them...

Man, that sucks.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:14:29 PM »
Know thine enemies:

Star Wars A bootleg
Star Wars C bootleg
ET moon/bike reproduction

scartacus

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 06:23:26 PM »
Came very close to getting sucked into this auction. Paper seems vintage, the art is great and since when did anyone see any fakes of 50s quads on old paper?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200439810264&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The final close up pic shows that the poster was printed by GFD "Graphics Reproduction Ltd" Has anyone ever seen another repro by GFD?

BTW -- I don't think this was a case of a seller being deceitful. But I'm sure he'll be happy to get £200+ for a repro

scartacus

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »
Talk about how wrong you can get it -- just discovered Graphic Reproductions were Ealing Studios main printer doing the 40 + 50s! looks like it could have been a bonafida poster after all...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 06:45:08 PM »
Was the end result (~200GBP) a fair price?  I haven't even heard of the film, let alone know what the paper might be worth. 

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 06:56:55 PM »
the price is a bit high  in most venues, but it's lower than others.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

scartacus

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »
If this poster is real it's worth way over £200.

I've never seen quad artwork before for this movie.

The other quad is pretty rare but well known amonsgt war movie collectors:

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/posters/db/poster.asp?pid=25424
The one with Jack Hawkins' face is a £400 retail poster, designed by one of the big guns (can't remember which)

Perhaps Terry at Quadbod could chip in when he's back from his travels. Terry, have you ever seen the quad with the waves?

Harry -- The Cruel Sea is a great ww2 war movie about the battle between the U boats and the Navy. Based on a book by Nicholas Monserrat,  it reeks of authenticity and you get the feeling that this is what it was really like...this was the kind of black and white movie that they used to show on TV during those wet sunday afternoons in 70s.

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 08:46:24 PM »
Hello!
Someone got a bargain there!  That's a nice poster.  Other original vintage quads printed by Graphic Reproductions which we have sold recently include SARABAND FOR DEAD LOVERS, THE MAGGIE, LEASE OF LIFE and HOLIDAY CAMP. We also recently sold the alternative version of THE CRUEL SEA printed by W E Berry Ltd which featured a silhouette portrait of Jack Higgins - artwork by Colin Walklin.  Ours was actually the slightly less detailed early re-release.
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »
I love the Saraband posters.. it would be great to get teh quad, but it's too expensive

I do however have the UK 1sh which is a beautiful poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 03:57:01 AM »
GFD is who released the film not printed the poster. General film Distributors Later became Rank.
It's more than a Hobby...

scartacus

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 05:37:49 AM »
Thanks for input Paul. I was confusing the printer -- Graphic Reproductions Ltd with GFD the distributor. Regarding this poster, I have been confused in so many ways!

Carson

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 02:35:42 PM »
This decorative poster print misrepresented as an original 1933 poster comes to us from lazy ebayer of the week: williamdriscoll2468

Because using a magnifying glass means serious business. Thanks for magnifying the fact it's a print.

scartacus

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 02:53:49 PM »
Carson, be interested to hear what the red flags were for you on this poster. Is the logo suspect or was it something in the text of the ad?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 03:04:20 PM »
Well for starters... under-sized, no folds, no fine print text, and the logo (and the printing) are clearly not lithography.

Carson

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »
As mentioned anything 1933 is going to be litho, ie, sans digital dot-matrix look seen beneath the eBayer's magnifying glass. A 1930s poster should also be folded in 99.9% cases and often on linen. But the red flag first and foremost is bottom border: no credits, printing info or numbering is seen. In some cases this can be due an original was cropped. In this case the info is simply missing and, typically, an eBay seller with 13 feedback usually doesn't have an original 1930's anything. Post your fakes if you come across one.

Original Spanish 80s re-issue (below)

Carson

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »
Original Spanish 80s reissue (RKO fits within the color border, ink black)

eBayer's print (RKO blends with side border, fuzzy and discolored)

scartacus

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »
REPORT THEIR ASSES!  Nothing pisses me off more when searching for posters on eBay and you find sellers deliberately posting repros in the originals section.  I ALWAYS report them (it only takes 30 seconds)... not sure if it does any good though as the auctions are rarely removed.

Here is another offender: Admitted repro BAT 1-sheet on linen listed in the originals section

We all need to start reporting these violators... maybe they (or eBay) will final take the hint.  I've already reported the BAT and I just reported your two Bond repro quads.  I also reported the Kong.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 05:33:03 PM »
By the way, I just checked and that BAT is listed by "channingposters" and is what appears to be a dealer!  I'm not sure if they post on this forum... but if so, quit that crap out!  You should f'ing know better!

Carson

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 07:08:54 PM »
eBay PMs with Fake Kong guy:

That's not an original King Kong, homie.

-Carson

Why is everyone blamming me about this. I am the one who got ripped off! I believed the
person who sold me the poster!!!! Thanks for your comments jerk.

-williamdriscoll2468

Sorry if I offended you. The frustration is
that you did not make the effort to ensure it was original before listing. You just
post "it's original". People tire of this inconsideration. Again, sorry
if I offended you.

-Carson