Home Theater & Entertainment > General Discussion

70" LED or Projector

(1/3) > >>

Charlie:
Well my wife has given me a few options.  She let me have the formals for my Linenbacking stuff for six months which is until November...  After that I've compromised and told her I would pack it up if she gave me the informal for my office and let me turn the back deck into a sun room so I could start it back up. 

Long story short....  I am going to turn my upstairs poster lair/office into a home theater to replace the informal I'll be taking.  So we went TV shopping, but I am reading that most of you guys have projectors.  I have a 42" Samsung and like Samsung but found a 70" LED Sharp flat screen that I was keen on...  I am no longer the audiophile/home theater buff I was 15 or so years ago...  Things just seem to come in packages now...

I do have a Denon AVR-1312 receiver and system speakers... It is 650W 5 channel...  I am OK with the sound at the moment, except perhaps needing a new Sub... 

But I want a big TV!  The room is relatively longer in one direction with one window and I will probably stadium two couches.

Anyways, I ramble...  LED Flat Screen or Projector?

jayn_j:
I can only give my opinion.  I have an Epson projector feeding a 120" fixed screen in a dedicated theater.  I also have a 50" plasma in the family room.  Both systems have 5.1 systems with Onkyo receivers feeding full range Klipsch speakers, so sound differences are not the issue.

My opinion is that both systems do a good job at what they do, but they do different jobs.  Kind of like asking "should I buy a motorcycle or a minivan?"  There is no way that an LED set, even an 80" one is going to give the home theater experience you get with a front projector.  It is a very impressive TV, but it is still a TV.  That means that ambient lights tend to be on and the family has various activities going on while the set is running.  Not a bad thing, but not the theater experience.

When we fire up the front projector, it is totally for the purpose of watching a movie (or sports).  The lights get turned off and we concentrate on the show.  There is also a big difference between an 80" set and a 120" one.  The FP screen has over twice the area, and at 11' seating distance, that is enough to do the full immersion feeling you get when you plunk down money at the local multiplex.

Which would I choose if I could only have one?  Probably the plasma, but that is because that room is multi-purpose.  If I had a dedicated room, I would choose the front projector.

stewart boyle:
I would go with,the very best projector set-up,but I`m biased..

Stew

Zorba:

--- Quote from: jayn_j on June 20, 2012, 04:34:29 PM ---
Which would I choose if I could only have one?  Probably the plasma, but that is because that room is multi-purpose.  If I had a dedicated room, I would choose the front projector.

--- End quote ---

Great answer.

I wish I had the dedicated space for that projector. Seen it at work for others and I am sold.. 

paul waines:
I have a full hd projector, and watching films through it is Amazing, Projector every time....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version