Author Topic: Attack of the 50ft Woman?  (Read 23418 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Attack of the 50ft Woman?
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
I am guessing you would be looking at approx $500 to get this restored. 

Are you willing to invest that much in getting it more presentable (without knowing if that will actually increase the value that much more)?
Chris

Posterodyssey

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2012, 09:49:31 PM »
I agree with the majority...if ya love it,or have the money too spend...go for it.Otherwise,sell as is.

BTW,been outta the loop for awhile but,I thought Dario didn't work on posters larger than one sheets?

Anthony

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »
and probably the worst thing is the fading, bleaching will make the colours come back a bit as the background lightens, but only way to get that bright again is PAINT and thats a bit of a no-no.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2012, 10:24:50 PM »
and probably the worst thing is the fading, bleaching will make the colours come back a bit as the background lightens, but only way to get that bright again is PAINT and thats a bit of a no-no.

Some people do.... :D

David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2012, 11:04:07 PM »
I agree with the majority...if ya love it,or have the money too spend...go for it.Otherwise,sell as is.

BTW,been outta the loop for awhile but,I thought Dario didn't work on posters larger than one sheets?

Anthony

He does Quads so he could handle this too...and he didn't say "no" outright when Shawn contacted him...
Chris

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
Just my two cents (probably echoing what's already been said) as I recently had a couple posters restored.  If you're planning on selling it I'd just sell it as is, no point in putting money into it if you're going to turn around a sell it.  If it's that rare then you'll probably still get good money for it since it's a pretty popular cult film.  That way the restoring aspect can be left up to the buyer.  Some people don't like restored/backed posters so if you did all that to sell it you might limit your market.

If you're planning on keeping it then I'd go for backing and restoring it a little.  Since it's unlikely you'll find another one in better condition there's no point in holding out for a better copy, clean up the one you got and enjoy it, if you get someone who knows what they're doing you should be very pleased.  That's what I did on the couple rare ones I recently had fixed up and I couldn't be more pleased.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2013, 02:49:09 PM »
Hey Folks,

Here is a bit of an update:

- I have been in contact with Dario Casadei who I am looking to restore the piece (if it is authentic and worth it):

- Dario requested a high-res photo of the front and back of the poster

- I removed the poster from the metal/glass frame that it has been in since I was given the poster

- I sadly discovered that the poster is spot-glued to brown paper backing and that backing is then spot-glued (small random locations) to a white backing cardboard:(  The glue has not bled, stained or affected the poster in any way (yet)

- I reported this to Dario and here was his reply:
"It's a great poster and pretty darn rare. Sadly it is in really rough condition. I am thinking that the image of the 50ft woman might be faded beyond reasonably repair, which is the most important feature of the poster. it would be very difficult to "Punch up the colors without making it to obvious on this one.

Also thicker paper stock is even harder to manage than thin paper. A lot of the tears and creases will be difficult to get completely flush.

Now we find out that the poster is mounted on Card board. Do you think it's completely glued/pasted on the back or only on certain spots?? Please let me know as it could get expensive pretty quick if the poster is glued down.

Realistically, I could wash, de acidify, ligh bleach and buffer to stabilize the paper and then mount on to linen. Then we could do some cosmetic restoration to make it look better than now, but not perfect."

- I am really unsure what to do next, and I hope this community could help me make the right decision.  If this poster is rare, then it is worth fighting for.  However, I do have to convince my wife about making any sort of investment, though we are interested in its value.  I am unsure whether I should have it authenticated and appraised before I restore it OR if I should have it authenticated and then restored before I appraise or auction it off?

- If it is so rare, what might it be worth?

Thank you,

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Did you ever have any work done on this piece? Did you sell it or decide to keep it?

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2014, 03:47:25 PM »
It looks like Shawn (NewbiePosterJunkie) is not a registered member anymore.  :(

I wonder what he ended up doing with this 30x40 piece he had?

Dario, did he ever get back in touch with you, to have any restoration work done to it?

-Jeff