Author Topic: Help wanted on how to explain combined shipping policy  (Read 18666 times)

Bruce

Help wanted on how to explain combined shipping policy
« on: June 16, 2012, 12:26:19 PM »
We allow all our buyers to combine all the items they win in 5 consecutive sets of auctions into one package (if that is possible to do) or ten consecutive sets of auctions if they live outside the U.S. and only pay a single flat rate fee if they pay within two weeks (or actual cost if they live outside the U.S.)

But no matter how we word this, we still get new buyers who are confused!

I have written "Shipping is $11, no matter how many items you buy" and I get questions about what if they buy 5 items.

I have tried many variations, but none seems to cause everyone to understand.

Any suggestions on how to word this one phrase so as to get the point across in as few words as possible?

Thanks!

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
Re: Help wanted on how to explain combined shipping policy
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 12:52:46 PM »
There is no way.

Some people just refuse to read.

We get the same questions day after day about things that are clearly stated.

"do you combine shipping?"

"is this poster original/authentic?"

"how much is shipping?"

and don't get me started on the 3-4 average calls/emails per day from all over the world asking if we can help authenticate their poster on the phone or through email.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 01:11:40 PM »
I'd reply to them like this if they ask about certain amount of items:

""Shipping is $11, no matter how many items you buy!!!!""

That or have Brude make you a gif that people will pay attention to and have it written on there... :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:14:00 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »
I'd reply to them like this if they ask about certain amount of items:

""Shipping is $11, no matter how many items you buy!!!!""

Yeah but what if I buy four?  :P

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:38:44 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 01:48:49 PM »
hire this guy to do an announcement

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=230588435514&si=D4CVFsmmh%252BqBTmcdk5nrKwuCvVo%253D&viewitem=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I wonder how many MORE emails he gets from people asking if it's a DVD because of that, just to annoy him... probably a lot.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »
I wonder how many MORE emails he gets from people asking if it's a DVD because of that, just to annoy him... probably a lot.

who knows, but he sold 18 of those alone

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
who knows, but he sold 18 of those alone

I think Bruce would lose business if on everything lot page he was screaming COMBINED SHIPPING! BUY ONE BUY A MILLION THINGS ONLY $11 SHIPPING over and over... it would be funny for a day then get really annoying.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 02:04:51 PM »
I think Bruce would lose business if on everything lot page he was screaming COMBINED SHIPPING! BUY ONE BUY A MILLION THINGS ONLY $11 SHIPPING over and over... it would be funny for a day then get really annoying.

I have a comment for that, but I think I'll leave well enough alone for today

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 03:00:08 PM »
Not only are we the best at what we do etc,etc etc.

but if you buy more than 1 poster,we can send up to 5 posters at no extra cost!

International buyers get a staggering offer of 10 posters shipped for no extra cost!

Short an succinct......maybe not :)

Stew

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 03:11:01 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
All your base are belong to us
Chris

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 03:22:45 PM »
I get questions about what if they buy 5 items.

At that instant, shipping becomes $55.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 04:34:47 PM »
All your base are belong to us

You gamer  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »
We allow all our buyers to combine all the items they win in 5 consecutive sets of auctions into one package (if that is possible to do) or ten consecutive sets of auctions if they live outside the U.S. and only pay a single flat rate fee if they pay within two weeks (or actual cost if they live outside the U.S.)

But no matter how we word this, we still get new buyers who are confused!

I have written "Shipping is $11, no matter how many items you buy" and I get questions about what if they buy 5 items.

I have tried many variations, but none seems to cause everyone to understand.

Any suggestions on how to word this one phrase so as to get the point across in as few words as possible?

Thanks!

But wait! There's more...

If you live in the USA and win FIVE auctions in a row you get a BONUS, we will charge you the same freight fee as we do for ONE auction!  It DOESN'T matter how many posters you win in those five auctions because you ONLY get charged $11.

David

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »
Just offer free shipping. That'll work  :)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 07:01:49 PM »
Nothing you say is going to help. Just like how people see "Buy One Get One Free" signs and ask what if they want four.

You could probably offer free shipping, have it in huge 50point font all over your website, and change your domain name to freeshipping.com, and people will still ask how much shipping is.

People are idiots.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 03:58:12 AM »
I would imagine,if you clearly state *WE DO NOT OFFER COMBINED SHIPPING" this would happen,

Ring,ring,ring,ring

"Hello e-movieposter,how may I help ?"

Customer:"Hi,do you do combined shipping?"

Stew

Bruce

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 07:20:25 AM »
Thanks. You have confirmed what I feared (and have learned over the past 23 years of full time selling) that there is NO way to get the obvious across to some people.

I look at it this way. If a HANDFUL (or fewer) of our 34,000 customers has a problem with something, it is almost surely an issue with THEM. If I hear the same problem in understand several times in a short period, then it is something I need to look at.

This problem only shows up once every week or two, so I guess I should be thankful I have so many smart customers. And since I left eBay I have NEVER had the "I thought I was bidding on a DVD" problem!).

Bruce

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 07:22:25 AM »
Having worked for almost two decades in consumer advertising around the world, I can tell you that the main problem advertisers have is that they cannot limit the number of messages that they try to communicate. They do this mainly because they think everything about their brand or product is as interesting and important to clients/consumers as it is to them.

The problem
i.) Consumers don't think that way as they only want selective information, and
ii.) they only have limited time and energy at their hand to investigate a specific topic or problem.
If you overload them with information, they switch off. Less is always more in communication unless you have a TV shopping channel and can talk about your product for fifteen minutes to bored senior citizens.

Your website
Sorry to say this but if I go through your website and look for some specific information other than the current auctions or auction history, I get tired pretty quickly and give up. There is so much information that I don't enjoy reading through it. For example, if I am looking for shipping information, I don't want to read this "Why do eMoviePoster.com's items seem to sell for more? Collectors have asked us this question many times, and here lies PART of the answer." That has nothing to do with shipping so why is it there??? If you were my client, I would say you are not focussing well on your message.

So if I am a first-time customer or have forgotten about your shipping terms, I rather send an email to your customer service (which is also a good way to check the response time of your company) than to search through redundant information that confuses and doesn't answer my questions. Same goes for the 3000 words emails you send out. If you'd keep them i.) short, ii.) informative and iii.) to the point, I am sure more people would actually read them.

Suggestion
Cut down the words and the amount of information, and you will increase comprehension among your customers. And: your staff will spend less time explaining everything over and over again, which will save you money. Step back and think about what you really want to say and then do it in as few words as necessary.

Armin

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »
I agree.

EMP is a great website, but is certainly overwhelming. There is a ton of information/pictures/banners/options/etc. on every page, and a lot of it is redundant and can be confusing - especially to new users. And I imagine even 'veteran' users have to "turn off" most of the supplemental stuff in order to focus on what they want. As a result, if you ever add updates or changes to policies, many will probably not even notice them.

Additionally, I think the fact that you have complex combined shipping rules (ie: Auction A can ship with B, D, E, G, H, and K Auctions, but not with C, F, I and J) can cause many people to get frustrated trying to figure it out, and simply default to hitting 0 (contacting a live person to explain it to them).

Don't get me wrong, I still think most people are idiots, but I also think that a few things on the website could be streamlined.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:39:02 AM by enki »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »
I am afraid I agree with the above two messages.

Someone should be employed to Radically edit your messages, and to also space them out with new lines and paragraphs.  Your information may well be included in the blurb, but there is always just so much of it that I, and I believe probably others, would rather run than face the veritable wall of verbiage.

Fewer messages.

Less repeating.

Less prose.

More bullet points.

And then your shipping point above may well then find the light and flower in front of its audience.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »
Having worked for almost two decades in consumer advertising around the world, I can tell you that the main problem advertisers have is that they cannot limit the number of messages that they try to communicate. They do this mainly because they think everything about their brand or product is as interesting and important to clients/consumers as it is to them.

The problem
i.) Consumers don't think that way as they only want selective information, and
ii.) they only have limited time and energy at their hand to investigate a specific topic or problem.
If you overload them with information, they switch off. Less is always more in communication unless you have a TV shopping channel and can talk about your product for fifteen minutes to bored senior citizens.

Your website
Sorry to say this but if I go through your website and look for some specific information other than the current auctions or auction history, I get tired pretty quickly and give up. There is so much information that I don't enjoy reading through it. For example, if I am looking for shipping information, I don't want to read this "Why do eMoviePoster.com's items seem to sell for more? Collectors have asked us this question many times, and here lies PART of the answer." That has nothing to do with shipping so why is it there??? If you were my client, I would say you are not focussing well on your message.

So if I am a first-time customer or have forgotten about your shipping terms, I rather send an email to your customer service (which is also a good way to check the response time of your company) than to search through redundant information that confuses and doesn't answer my questions. Same goes for the 3000 words emails you send out. If you'd keep them i.) short, ii.) informative and iii.) to the point, I am sure more people would actually read them.

Suggestion
Cut down the words and the amount of information, and you will increase comprehension among your customers. And: your staff will spend less time explaining everything over and over again, which will save you money. Step back and think about what you really want to say and then do it in as few words as necessary.

Armin

I know that I have made this point to Bruce on multiple previous occasions... albeit not as thoroughly...

Posterodyssey

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
What Armin and Archie said and then big bold letters "$11 no matter how many"...or something to the effect.

Anthony