Author Topic: The Box Office Thread  (Read 85146 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: The Box Office Thread
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2012, 08:00:10 PM »
I hear the new judge dredd ain't doing so well, come on Americans watch it, so it makes it to Aussie screens. Please, thanks.

They should have chosen a guy besides Clint to play Dredd. Even that baseball movie is beating it.  :P

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
WOW!

'Twilight' whammo with global franchise-best $341 mil - Vamp saga finale trails 'New Moon' domestically with $141 mil

By: ANDREW STEWART

Summit's "Twilight" finale, "Breaking Dawn - Part 2," scored a franchise-best worldwide bow this weekend, staking a massive $340.9 million, including $141.3 million Stateside in three days.

Last year, "Breaking Dawn - Part 1" debuted at $283.5 million globally, just ahead of "New Moon," which grossed $274.8 million during its first worldwide sesh. The franchise's third offering, "Eclipse," bowed mid-week during summer 2010, earning $157.6 million domestically in its first five days, with a global debut of $261.6 million.

The boffo Stateside opening for "Part 2" missed the franchise's previous opening record held by 2009's "New Moon" ($142.8 million). The finale still topped the franchise's penultimate offering, with $138.1 million domestically.

With the help from a sturdy holdover perf from "Skyfall," at $41.5 million, as well as a better-than-expected expansion for Disney-DreamWorks' "Lincoln" ($21 million), weekend totals, at approximately $216 million, came in as the third-best overall frame this year, behind "The Avengers" and "The Dark Knight Rises" opening weekends, respectively.

Pre-weekend tracking had "Part 2" pegged at a potential $150 million opening. And while those projections proved a tad bullish, the pic still played better than the lowered $135 million estimates released late Friday.

Prospects look promising for "Part 2," especially since the film received an A CinemaScore - the same as 2010's "Eclipse," which drew the franchise's biggest Stateside cume to date of $300.5 million.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:12:57 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Charlie

« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2012, 09:18:26 AM »
The ladies and teens are where the money is at I guess.  I can't watch that twilight crap...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2012, 09:23:09 AM »
Good man.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2015, 11:44:45 AM »
Wow...  American Sniper at 100+ mil.  Who would have thought. 

Timing is everything.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2015, 03:32:19 PM »
When you see how gigantic the Jurassic World intl. boxoffice has been and when you realize how far it still is from Avatar and Titanic is when you realize that Cameron is really king of the world.  At least over the past 20 years.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2015, 06:25:15 PM »
When you see how gigantic the Jurassic World intl. boxoffice has been and when you realize how far it still is from Avatar and Titanic is when you realize that Cameron is really king of the world.  At least over the past 20 years.

Mel ?? ;-)

T

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2015, 08:28:53 PM »
What about Mel?
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2015, 08:11:21 PM »
September is historically speaking the studios' dumping ground month (along with January), but even by those tepid standards, I'm quite amazed to see that many big movies falter at the boxoffice.

Cases in point...

Universal
Crimson Peak
Jem and the Holograms
Steve Jobs

Paramount
Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension
Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

WB
Pan (probably the costliest flop)
Our Brand Is Crisis

Sony
The Walk

Lionsgate
Freeheld
The Last Witch Hunter

Weinstein
Burnt

Open Road
Rock the Kasbah

Thank God for Bond!

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2019, 01:27:53 PM »
Fuck!!!!

$370mil domestic!!!!

Is this for real?????

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2019, 04:27:22 PM »
Think it can beat Avatar, T? I think there will be a lot of folk who will go see it more than once.

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2019, 04:55:34 PM »
It's insane to think we are at the point where a movie can do $1 Billion worldwide opening weekend.

I remember it wasn't that long ago when Spidey was the first to top $100 million for an opening weekend, and my buddies and I wondered how long until a movie did that much in a day (not counting previews the day before), and it looks like that day is here.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2019, 05:30:55 PM »
Think it can beat Avatar, T? I think there will be a lot of folk who will go see it more than once.

I think it will beat Avatar domestically, and has a shot at beating Force Awakens’s $900 mil.  Internationally, hard to tell.  Force Awakens was a huge event too.  Ticket prices are much tighter than Avatar, but 2.8 billion is high.  We’ll know next weekend.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2019, 08:00:08 PM »
It's insane to think we are at the point where a movie can do $1 Billion worldwide opening weekend.

I remember it wasn't that long ago when Spidey was the first to top $100 million for an opening weekend, and my buddies and I wondered how long until a movie did that much in a day (not counting previews the day before), and it looks like that day is here.

My family contributed to Avengers today, Crow.  We are still lucky in that our locally owned, independent theatre still only charges $5 for a matinee.  Also, for another $5 total you can get a small popcorn, small drink, and one Reese's peanut butter cup.  Okie
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:02:19 PM by okiehawker »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2019, 08:37:08 PM »
My family contributed to Avengers today, Crow.  We are still lucky in that our locally owned, independent theatre still only charges $5 for a matinee.  Also, for another $5 total you can get a small popcorn, small drink, and one Reese's peanut butter cup.  Okie

Nice and lucky.  Here it's $20.50/person.  I saw it with my wife last night.  Between a 6 hour babysitter ($120), a dinner for two ($140), the movie and concession ($70), here's a $330 evening.  It's okay when the movie is good, but it blows when the movie sucks.  Thankfully, Endgame was fun.  Yes, L.A. is expensive.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2019, 08:46:25 PM »
Nice and lucky.  Here it's $20.50/person.  I saw it with my wife last night.  Between a 6 hour babysitter ($120), a dinner for two ($140), the movie and concession ($70), here's a $330 evening.  It's okay when the movie is good, but it blows when the movie sucks.  Thankfully, Endgame was fun.  Yes, L.A. is expensive.

T

$20.50 a ticket!  Holy smokes, T!  I had no idea it was that much in L.A.  Our four matinee tickets were less than one of yours.  Goodness gravy!  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2019, 09:35:42 PM »
Yeah, whenever I travel anywhere else in the US, I feel rich.  Except for NYC and San Francisco, of course.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2019, 10:58:50 PM »
Yeah, whenever I travel anywhere else in the US, I feel rich.  Except for NYC and San Francisco, of course.

T

I have not yet had the opportunity to visit L.A., T.  Folks here sometimes say L.A., though they mean Lower Alabama.  I have been to San Diego before.  Maybe I should pack some sandwiches if I someday get to visit Los Angeles?!  Those L.A. movie ticket prices would really cut into our food budget. Wait a minute, is that why so many people out there are thin?  I'm afraid to ask what the all-you-can-eat buffet for two costs at the Golden Corral in L.A.? $140? Oh, no!
Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2019, 11:54:09 PM »
Hahaha...  I don't think we have all-you-can-eat buffet around here.  I remember going to Souplantation when I was in college, but not for years.  I think this is more like a Southwestern way of living.  When I say dinner for 2, it's more like a casual place for dinner, nothing too fancy, but not all-you-can-eat. 

T
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 06:26:49 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2019, 10:58:15 AM »
Hahaha...  I don't think we have all-you-can-eat buffet around here.  I remember going to Souplantation when I was in college, but not for years.  I think this is more like a Southwestern way of living.  When I say dinner for 2, it's more like a casual place for dinner, nothing too fancy, but not all-you-can-eat. 

T

Casual dinner for two is $140?  Sounds like you all aren't going to Olive Garden or Cheesecake Factory.  :P

One the other hand, depending on where you see it, $20 for a ticket is cheap. I think out IMAX here is $25
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2019, 11:29:54 AM »
£8 for a ticket where I am. That has been hiked from £6  due to a massive refurbishment.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2019, 12:02:55 PM »
Can you believe the first Iron Man only came out 11 years ago!?!  And even tho the only other Marvel film at the time was the Edward Norton Hulk -- Disney clearly saw the writing on the wall.  I remember all the analysts saying Disney overpaid for Marvel at $4 billion.  And they were claiming it again a few years later when they paid another $4 billion for Lucasfilm.   laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2019, 02:12:55 PM »
  I remember all the analysts saying Disney overpaid for Marvel at $4 billion.  laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

And to think that Perelman only bought Marvel 20 years prior to that for under $85 million.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2019, 08:15:58 PM »
The trailers before Avengers really shocked me considering all the kids in the audience (we all know parents are increasing box office and bringing kids, right?): John Wick 3 and the really dark, psycho, crazy, horror movie like trailer for New Mutants.  Kids in our audience were scared and crying from seeing just these trailers.  If that trend continues, even our family would have to re-evaluate our 11 year old going and that could change revenue. The super hero fighting --I'm trying to avoid spoilers here-doesn't seem to be on the same level as the super realistic R rated violence of John Wick, right?  Okie
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:25:49 PM by okiehawker »

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2019, 04:57:11 AM »
We didn't get either of those trailers when we saw it Okie.
We had Star Wars, Godzilla, X-men, and MIB
www.Kaijuposters.com