Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 627546 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Re: James Bond
« Reply #375 on: March 06, 2011, 11:23:56 AM »
It is both.

Erm, yeah, good point, Bruce!
Best wishes,
Adam

Bruce

« Reply #376 on: March 06, 2011, 11:45:05 AM »
It is important to say "1971 re-release" rather than just "1971 release" because it could have been first shown to the military in 1971. But during the Vietnam War (and the Korean War a decade earlier) the troops were shown just about every major release, so there is no way there wouldn't be an earlier military one-sheet for this same movie.

Bruce

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2011, 11:49:53 AM »
While the consensus of 2 whole people (thus far) is that this poster is only suitable to wrap fish in, can we still please abstain from 'finding' and then outing live posters?

I realize the mid-auction thread is there, but wasn't there an unwritten rule about something being in four figures being safe territory or something like that?

Regardless of how one or all the APF folks feel about a particular poster, outing it is extremely careless and incredibly inconsiderate to anyone remotely interested in the poster.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #378 on: March 06, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »
What do you actually refer to when you say 'outing it', Wonka?
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #379 on: March 06, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »

I was mistaken,

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #380 on: March 06, 2011, 12:09:20 PM »

Ah, right, I get you.

To clarify my own position after looking back at my own posts:
I wasn't targeting the seller when I was looking for the year.
I've only just read the actual ebay page and the seller has '1960s' as the year, so I now see how this discussion (and my and others year finding) may have looked to you, Wonka.

I apologise for the unintentional annoyance.
Best wishes,
Adam

Bruce

« Reply #381 on: March 06, 2011, 12:10:15 PM »
You are correct Wonka. This should be in the mid-auction thread, at least until it's over.

I came in at the middle and did not realize it is a live auction.

I am properly rebuked.

Bruce

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #382 on: March 06, 2011, 12:12:54 PM »
Adam, it has nothing to do with that particular seller or year of the poster.

It is about drawing attention to a poster that is still for sale, and in doing so, has the potential to cost someone out there more money or losing the poster altogether thanks to it being 'outed'.  Or in this case and Barbarella, thanks to Mel.

I was mistaken,

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #383 on: March 06, 2011, 12:22:56 PM »

It is about drawing attention to a poster that is still for sale, and in doing so, has the potential to cost someone out there more money or losing the poster altogether thanks to it being 'outed'.  Or in this case and Barbarella, thanks to Mel.

Ahhhhh ... I get you now!  hitself

I just got involved because of the poster and what it was, but you are right.
I fully agree. Maybe Mel should not have posted the link to the auction.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #384 on: March 06, 2011, 12:33:51 PM »

I agree with you in theory Wonka, but I didn't think it was a big deal for these two posters.  I'm sure Mel has watched this same Dr. No come and go on eBay before at this price... I think I've see it listed 2-3 times over the last 12 months or so with no bids.  And as for the Barbarella, the poster is great, but you can already buy a nicer copy from a well respected dealer for the seller's reserve price:

German R70's Barbarella @ Filmposter.net

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #385 on: March 06, 2011, 12:48:10 PM »
Hi Harry, the specific details behind the two posters today are just rationalizations...it is Pandora's Box now, unless we have better rules and corresponding respect in place here.

I don't want either poster, but I am sure others might.

I was mistaken,

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #386 on: March 06, 2011, 12:54:53 PM »
100% with wonka here...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #387 on: March 06, 2011, 01:39:56 PM »
Ditto.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #388 on: March 06, 2011, 02:33:54 PM »
Hi Harry, the specific details behind the two posters today are just rationalizations...it is Pandora's Box now, unless we have better rules and corresponding respect in place here.

I don't want either poster, but I am sure others might.

I understand.  And even though we have a mid-auction thread, I rarely use it unless it is something that has already been discussed extensively elsewhere like MOPO. 

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #389 on: March 06, 2011, 02:40:05 PM »
The good thing about this, however, is that we have ascertained the year of the poster in that I am sure it is from 1971, so maybe Mel can email the seller and let him know?

Obviously, I could be wrong about the year, but I'm pretty positive it is from the stated year as my copy came from a major collector who really knows his stuff.
Best wishes,
Adam

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #390 on: March 06, 2011, 02:46:04 PM »
Three points:

(1) There have been several forum "fights" over discussing pending auctions and Holiday ended them ages ago by saying that it is OK to discuss them on this forum.  If you don't like it, take it up with him rather than starting another fight.

(2) It could have gone into mid-auction thread but it's not likely to generate much interest.  It sat at a $200 Buy It Now for several days and nobody took the offer.  The Buy It Now has disappeared b/c someone bid the minimum $150.

(3) I only referenced it specifically because several people were asking questions about its origin.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #391 on: March 06, 2011, 03:03:33 PM »
(3) I only referenced it specifically because several people were asking questions about its origin.

Actually, Mel, no-one questioned where the image came from or that poster's origins.
I do agree with Wonka, but, if Holiday did say what you have stated per forum rules, then you are not in the wrong for posting the link.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #392 on: March 06, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »
Three points:

(1) There have been several forum "fights" over discussing pending auctions and Holiday ended them ages ago by saying that it is OK to discuss them on this forum.  If you don't like it, take it up with him rather than starting another fight.

(2) It could have gone into mid-auction thread but it's not likely to generate much interest.  It sat at a $200 Buy It Now for several days and nobody took the offer.  The Buy It Now has disappeared b/c someone bid the minimum $150.

(1) Mel, there is no fight.  Others have voiced their opinions in regards to simply fighting the slightest of urges of outing a poster...it boils down to being considerate and respectful.

(2) Why do you feel that your posts have to generate much interest, in your mind?

(3) Fair enough, but a PM would have sufficed.

There are several things that we can do here on the forum that are not underlined via the rules, but we choose not to do them out of common decency...tons of gray area here to be sure, but the rush to be the first on the block to lift, crop, and post the newest Barbarella poster mere hours before it ends seems extremely frivolous.

I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #393 on: March 06, 2011, 03:33:44 PM »
I understand.  And even though we have a mid-auction thread, I rarely use it unless it is something that has already been discussed extensively elsewhere like MOPO.  

That is my stance on it as well, in addition to referencing posters worth more than we could all put together as well as stuff that raises eyebrows in potentially stopping dishonest sellers and their wares from deceiving.

I was mistaken,

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #394 on: March 06, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »
(1) Mel, there is no fight.  Others have voiced their opinions in regards to simply fighting the slightest of urges of outing a poster...it boils down to being considerate and respectful.

(2) Why do you feel that your posts have to generate much interest, in your mind?

There are several things that we can do here on the forum that are not underlined via the rules, but we choose not to do them out of common decency...tons of gray area here to be sure, but the rush to be the first on the block to lift, crop, and post the newest Barbarella poster mere hours before it ends seems extremely frivolous.

+1..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #395 on: March 06, 2011, 05:38:13 PM »
(1) Mel, there is no fight.  Others have voiced their opinions in regards to simply fighting the slightest of urges of outing a poster...it boils down to being considerate and respectful.

clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline joneyyy

• Collector

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #397 on: March 14, 2011, 07:03:19 PM »
I'm not sure which section these should actually go in as they are post auction images, but I'll post them in the James Bond section as it is more apt, I think.
Did anyone notice these two very rare posters come up for auction at Heritage Auctions last night:

I have never seen a DN/YOLT UK Double Bill Quad before, never mind a ROLLED copy!  jawdrop
And I have also never seen a rolled copy of the TB/YOLT Double Bill UK Quad - folded yes, but rolled no!

I suppose these appeal to the Bond completest, or Bond quad completest, but I think they are rather nice, especially the DN/YOLT quad.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #398 on: March 14, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »
Did anyone notice these two very rare posters come up for auction at Heritage Auctions last night:

I was tracking the latter for kicks...and it was just for kicks. I was sort of wishing, hoping and praying no one would see it  8) 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #399 on: March 14, 2011, 08:13:02 PM »
Thanks for not posting the third one Adam... I won the "cheapest" of the three rolled double bill Bond quads (shown below)! 

I knew I should have just stuck to buying random cool posters that struck my fancy. 

Now that I've become a "Bond Quad Collector" (notice the all caps), I'm starting to get obsessed.  At first I was going to limit myself to only regular issue quads.... then I started buying advances and teasers... then I started buying errors and alternates... now I'm dabbling in double bills.  In addition, now that I have a collecting focus, I've found that I'm occasionally overpaying for posters when in the past I would be more patient.

And I'm sure this shit will never end until I mortgage my house to buy that fucking Thunderball advance!  I am so fucked.