Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 627696 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Re: James Bond
« Reply #350 on: March 05, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »
 laugh1

I know - one of my friends on your side of the pond thought I was taking the mick when I quizzed him on why the heck he had a Star Wars US One Sheet (Style D) & a Jaws US One Sheet, both in mint condition, hanging in one of his bathrooms!

I'm no expert on framing pictures, or where to hang them, but even before I knew a single thing about posters I was aware of the fact that hanging anything in a bathroom is a bad idea.

It's amazing what people do, Jeff.
... I think it's a case of common sense; some have more than others.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #351 on: March 05, 2011, 06:37:36 PM »
laugh1

I know - one of my friends on your side of the pond thought I was taking the mick when I quizzed him on why the heck he had a Star Wars US One Sheet (Style D) & a Jaws US One Sheet, both in mint condition, hanging in one of his bathrooms!

I'm no expert on framing pictures, or where to hang them, but even before I knew a single thing about posters I was aware of the fact that hanging anything in a bathroom is a bad idea.

It's amazing what people do, Jeff.
... I think it's a case of common sense; some have more than others.

Adam,

Very true.. but on the flip side.. if much of your collection is made up of easily obtained, current material, then once something is steam or heat damaged, its just a matter of picking up another copy and replacing it.   cheers

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #352 on: March 05, 2011, 07:51:15 PM »
Adam,

Very true.. but on the flip side.. if much of your collection is made up of easily obtained, current material, then once something is steam or heat damaged, its just a matter of picking up another copy and replacing it.   cheers

Jeff

Yeah, that's very true mate.
I'm not sure on the wealth of my friend, but if he can afford to put posters such as Jaws or Star Wars in bathrooms or even above radiators (he had a Alien US One Sheet above a heater of some kind :o) then that is fine - it's up to each individual to do what they like; but it's something I personally wouldn't do, and nor would most other collectors, or people with a bit of nous.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #353 on: March 05, 2011, 08:10:44 PM »
Yeah, that's very true mate.
I'm not sure on the wealth of my friend, but if he can afford to put posters such as Jaws or Star Wars in bathrooms or even above radiators (he had a Alien US One Sheet above a heater of some kind :o) then that is fine - it's up to each individual to do what they like; but it's something I personally wouldn't do, and nor would most other collectors, or people with a bit of nous.

An ALIEN OS above a heater?  ??? 

I could see if it was some disposal piece from recent years... but THAT it a crime    gun1

-Jeff

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #354 on: March 05, 2011, 08:25:34 PM »
I know, but what can you do!?
Some people just don't listen and think they know the lot, or sometimes they just couldn't care less, which is where I think my friend stands lol!
But then again, he isn't what I would call a collector - he's not like us cracker-jacks!
I think he has 5 posters from what I recall, all framed and hung in weird places (well, I say weird, I mean places I would never put them).
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #355 on: March 05, 2011, 08:36:55 PM »
I know, but what can you do!?
Some people just don't listen and think they know the lot, or sometimes they just couldn't care less, which is where I think my friend stands lol!
But then again, he isn't what I would call a collector - he's not like us cracker-jacks!
I think he has 5 posters from what I recall, all framed and hung in weird places (well, I say weird, I mean places I would never put them).

Well... you might be helpful in suggesting he move them to less weird places. But if he's not a real collector and just tacks them up wherever, for the sake of it, what can you do? To each his own, as they say, and, as we know some never listen or heed the advice of others more knowledgeable...   

deadhorse

-Jeff

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #356 on: March 05, 2011, 08:49:40 PM »
In this case, without sounding big-headed, I am more knowledgeable than my friend, but he didn't care when I brought it up with him, and I don't suppose he does now!

And just like that emoticon - deadhorse - I felt like clubbing him around the head lol!
Actually, I did verbally, but he has more money than sense!
I think the lack of a partner is the reason why - living the bachelor lifestyle 'n all!

He's happy though, and that's the main thing, however, I do wish I had have moved those posters when I had the chance  moron1 lol !!
Best wishes,
Adam

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #357 on: March 05, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »
US military one sheet for Dr. No:

Not very lovely....

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #358 on: March 05, 2011, 10:54:18 PM »
Not very lovely....

Understatement, Mel.
It's, well, it's just puke2
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #359 on: March 05, 2011, 11:01:45 PM »
US military one sheet for Dr. No:

Not very lovely....

Is that a re-release?  It says "return engagement".  Also, what country is that censor stamp from? 

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #360 on: March 05, 2011, 11:04:37 PM »
It's from '71 or '73 mate, I think ...
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #361 on: March 05, 2011, 11:14:21 PM »
It's from '71 or '73 mate, I think ...

You the man, Adam   happy1

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #362 on: March 06, 2011, 04:59:49 AM »
Is it US?  Not sure I have seen the GP rating before unless it is pertinant somehow to an all over aged army ...?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #363 on: March 06, 2011, 05:33:05 AM »
GP - General Patronage (USA)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #364 on: March 06, 2011, 07:52:57 AM »
Ah, ok.

Cheers.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #365 on: March 06, 2011, 08:46:35 AM »
Is it US?  Not sure I have seen the GP rating before unless it is pertinant somehow to an all over aged army ...?

Not sure i would put too much stock in rating anyway as it appears to be a snipe.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #366 on: March 06, 2011, 09:05:30 AM »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #367 on: March 06, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »
good seller too.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Bruce

« Reply #368 on: March 06, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »
GP was the initial rating between G and R. Later it was swapped to PG, and later still PG13 was added.

Bruce

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #369 on: March 06, 2011, 09:34:17 AM »
GP was the initial rating between G and R. Later it was swapped to PG, and later still PG13 was added.

Bruce

Wasn't it 'M' for a few months before GP replaced it?  I recall some trailer back in 1968-9 pushing GMRX.

I also recall that Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom was the movie that caused the fuss leading to PG-13.

Edit:  Yep found this:
-Jay-

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #370 on: March 06, 2011, 09:44:46 AM »
Can anyone else confirm the year of this poster?
... I am pretty sure it is '71, not '73.

Thank you.
Best wishes,
Adam

Bruce

« Reply #371 on: March 06, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »
I stand corrected jayn_j. It was too early in the morning here when I posted!

It was M, then, GP, then PG.

A quick online search found this very helpful info:
The "GP" rating was in use circa 1970-72. It changed to "PG" in 1972, because it was being mistaken to mean "General Public". Prior to 1970, it was known as "M" (suggested for mature audiences); that was changed because many mistakenly thought that "M" meant "adults only".

This jives with what I remember (having lived through those times going to movies every week). Can anyone pinpoint it further?

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #372 on: March 06, 2011, 11:02:16 AM »
So is this a military poster or an early re-release?

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #373 on: March 06, 2011, 11:05:50 AM »
So is this a military poster or an early re-release?
It is my belief that the poster is a Military One Sheet from 1971.
Best wishes,
Adam

Bruce

« Reply #374 on: March 06, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »
"So is this a military poster or an early re-release?"

It is both.