Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 627545 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: James Bond
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2010, 10:06:30 AM »
By the way, check out some of the other variations on the classic Thunderball artwork from that site... It would have been awesome if they used the original McGinnis drawing (1)!  At least they brought back some of the cleavage for the Italian paper (3).

Yes, they definitely should have used that image.  I'd get that commercial poster just for that image, if it's really 30x40.

By the way, I've heard that Park Circus is very vigilant about pulling Ebay postings for its re-release posters.  Can anybody confirm that?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2010, 11:47:39 PM »
So I contacted Spyguise via eBay about the Thunderball poster... For future reference, this is what they had to say:

The Thunderball poster was licensed in 1993, I believe and 1500 prints were made, each individually numbered and selling for $50. Hope this helps
- osato

1500 seems like a lot of prints, but at $75 I still might go for it.  I'm still curious about the year discrepancy though... LAMP had it listed as a 35th anniversary poster (i.e. 2000).  Spyguise just said it was licensed in 1993... they said nothing about the print/distribution year.

P.S. Nice NSNA Mel... although, as you say, the other version has it's own appealing attributes. ;D

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2010, 05:29:43 AM »
Yeah, '93 sounds about right.  Not 2000.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2010, 05:52:55 AM »
So I contacted Spyguise via eBay about the Thunderball poster...

Is it a full 40x30?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »
Spyguise didn't mention a size, Simes said it is not 30x40, and I'm still waiting for confirmation from the seller... 

TBD I guess.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2010, 08:45:07 PM »
James Bond Goldfinger & Dr. No combo poster - this combo design was better than many regular one-sheet JB posters - this one looks great framed (has significant edge damage).  Praise ______, I only want two more Bond one sheets and I'll consider my collection complete! (OHMSS Style B and MWTGG Christmas special)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2010, 09:54:18 PM »
Tball?  Goldfinger? 

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2010, 10:21:22 PM »
Well, I gotta hand it to Mel. Mel is clearly very passionate about posters and doing what some of us only dream of doing... putting up quite a number of posters and even putting a compilation of posters together. Very well done. You seem like when you are determined to do something you stick to it. Good on ya!

Is the 2nd top left poster supposed to be mostly black? I am not so familiar with bond posters.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2010, 10:25:19 PM »
Well, I gotta hand it to Mel. Mel is clearly very passionate about posters and doing what some of us only dream of doing... putting up quite a number of posters and even putting a compilation of posters together. Very well done. You seem like when you are determined to do something you stick to it. Good on ya!

Is the 2nd top left poster supposed to be mostly black? I am not so familiar with bond posters.

Wait til next month, Steve.  I'm putting up ALL 50 James Bond posters on my walls next month. Eat your heart out, Adz!

That poster was a "special teaser" - they issued a new poster every couple of week revealing more of the poster.  It's dog-ugly but it is a legit poster.

Harry, cut me a break, man!  I gotz SEVEN freaking Goldfingers - I can live with the re-releases of the quad and one-sheet!  I also can live with the 1980 re-release of Thunderball.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2010, 10:40:54 PM »
Wait til next month, Steve.  I'm putting up ALL 50 James Bond posters on my walls next month. Eat your heart out, Adz!

That poster was a "special teaser" - they issued a new poster every couple of week revealing more of the poster.  It's dog-ugly but it is a legit poster.

Are you sure that is how it played out?  I've only ever seen the one you have and the full teaser... Are there other iterations?

Harry, cut me a break, man!  I gotz SEVEN freaking Goldfingers - I can live with the re-releases of the quad and one-sheet!  I also can live with the 1980 re-release of Thunderball.

Yeah, yeah... I predict that within 2 years (3 tops) you'll have a complete collection of all the original 1-sheets!  Pretty soon the re-releases just won't cut it  ;)

At least you haven't started collecting original quads yet... I have two now and I'm feeling the temptation for more!  :o :o :o

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2010, 11:13:42 PM »
Are you sure that is how it played out?  I've only ever seen the one you have and the full teaser... Are there other iterations?

Yeah, yeah... I predict that within 2 years (3 tops) you'll have a complete collection of all the original 1-sheets!  Pretty soon the re-releases just won't cut it  ;)

At least you haven't started collecting original quads yet... I have two now and I'm feeling the temptation for more!  :o :o :o

I've seen a couple variations of the special teasers - wouldn't want to buy one though

The re-releases were pretty expensive ($75 - $125) so I'm not eager or likely to shell out $500+ more on each of the originals

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2010, 11:19:11 PM »
You are a better researcher than that Mel!  I've bought re-releases for $25.  My T-Ball restored on linen was $250 and my VF+/NM Goldfinger (matte) was $350.  Just gotta keep your eyes out for deals my friend...

Like I said, 2-3 years tops ;)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2010, 09:25:38 PM »
One sheets v. quads - que es mas macho y superior?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2010, 09:54:19 PM »
Well, Connery Bonds are my favorite... Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball.  So yes, I think 'superior' pretty much goes without saying.

There is no need for a pissing contest though...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2010, 09:59:56 PM »
I'd say 1/3 quads clear victor (e.g. Dr. No, FRWL, Goldfinger, etc), 1/3 one sheets clear victor (most of the Roger Moores), and 1/3 tie (most of the later Bonds).  However, the Goldfinger quads would have made excellent one sheets.

Tie example (horizonal art but quad did not take advantage of it, US has better lettering):

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2010, 10:12:16 PM »
Well, even if you bring Moore into this, I think there are very view examples of the 1-sheets actually having better artwork.  Bigger or slightly different framing doesn't really mean all that much to me. 

1-sheets that I would consider with better artwork are TMWTGG style B, The Spy Who Loved Me (even this is more of a framing issue) and maybe Thunderball.  However, if you look at which quads have clearly better artwork, I would say Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, For Your Eyes Only and Never Say Never Again... the first three of which are from probably the most important and desirable films.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2010, 03:05:18 AM »
All I'll say is For Bond stuff, Country of Origin is the way to go, and the comparison of the YOLT... come on there's less waste on the Quad.............Opps wasn't goint there. :-X
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2010, 07:33:38 AM »
All I'll say is For Bond stuff, Country of Origin is the way to go, and the comparison of the YOLT... come on there's less waste on the Quad.............Opps wasn't goint there. :-X

To me, the issue is whether the artwork takes advantage of the format. For all the YOLT one sheets and quads, the artwork takes up 40% of the poster, so it's a tie.

However, starting with OHMSS, almost all the artwork was designed in profile layout for one sheets.  The quad designers lazily stuck the profile artwork into the landscape quads, with a few exceptions (FYEO, Never Say Never, Die Another Day).

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »
Like I said, for Connery Bonds, there is really no debate...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2010, 11:08:57 AM »
I'd say the Live and Let Die and the Spy Who Loved Me are the most creative and "best" posters. I may go even more crazy and take a shot at the 6 sheet coming up at Heritage:

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »
The LALD 1sht is too squashed in, it needs some space to breathe. The SWLM 1sht is Oh so 70's, I really like it. Though I must agree with Harry, the Connery Bonds are by far the best and the one's to have.
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2010, 07:37:58 PM »
How presumptive of you two to challenge the owner of

THE WORLD'S GREATEST JAMES BOND COLLECTION!!! (*)

* that is actually visible to the naked eye

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2010, 08:02:31 PM »
How presumptive of you two to challenge...

I know your above post is in jest.... But don't forget you are the one who started this little battle by accusing me of succumbing to the 'crazy quad disease' for buying a View to a Kill quad instead of a 1-sheet.  You are the one making assumptions and challenging other people's purchases my friend, I'm just standing my ground.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2010, 08:25:30 PM »
Like I said, for Connery Bonds, there is really no debate...

I have to agree with you Harry. I am a huge fan of the Connery Bonds. As for the others, I could really care less.

Cj

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2010, 11:24:35 PM »
OHMSS #A Italy 2sh (Laz with red ski helmet....never seen it in 10 yrs on market)
DN Italy 4sh (yellow lettering , some dealer wants 3k euros for it.....had I gotten a somewhat good price Id prolly buy it)