Home Theater & Entertainment > For Sale/Trade/Wanted

Bond DVD's for sale

<< < (2/3) > >>

Juli:
I have a bunch of DVDs (180 movies and a bunch of TV sets). I would love to find a way to get them digitally, either on an iPad (plan to buy one sometime soon) or an external hard drive since I don't think I can fit all 180 movies onto a 64 GB iPad. I feel like just getting rid of them all right now but then I won't have the movie anymore to watch whenever I feel like it and there is something nice about just having the movie.

Bruce:
Free shipping today only on ANY order (these are great people to order from)

http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/default.asp?

jayn_j:

--- Quote from: Juli on March 18, 2012, 04:03:00 PM ---I have a bunch of DVDs (180 movies and a bunch of TV sets). I would love to find a way to get them digitally, either on an iPad (plan to buy one sometime soon) or an external hard drive since I don't think I can fit all 180 movies onto a 64 GB iPad. I feel like just getting rid of them all right now but then I won't have the movie anymore to watch whenever I feel like it and there is something nice about just having the movie.

--- End quote ---

Use anydvd to rip them to computer disc, then download.
http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

enki:

--- Quote from: Juli on March 18, 2012, 04:03:00 PM ---I have a bunch of DVDs (180 movies and a bunch of TV sets). I would love to find a way to get them digitally, either on an iPad (plan to buy one sometime soon) or an external hard drive since I don't think I can fit all 180 movies onto a 64 GB iPad. I feel like just getting rid of them all right now but then I won't have the movie anymore to watch whenever I feel like it and there is something nice about just having the movie.

--- End quote ---

It's very easy, albeit time consuming, to rip DVDs to a digital format. Depending on the power of your computer, it can take anywhere from a dozen or so minutes to a couple hours (or more) per movie.

The size per movie depends on the codecs you chose for audio/video, the compression level and other various settings you pick. Those settings are really determined by the purpose of the rip. In other words, if you only plan on playing it on an iPad or tablet/phone/etc., you don't really need full 1080p with Dolby 7.1 surround sound, and can make the file size much smaller. On the other hand, if you want as close to full-DVD quality as possible to play on any device (including your TV), you'll want a higher quality rip.

An uncompressed DVD quality rip will average about 4.5GB per movie. But that is an extreme example using no compression or optimization. A "good" quality rip, suitable for viewing on a mobile device or TV can be had for about 700MB per movie. If you want a slightly better quality picture/sound, you could get away with about 1.5GB per movie. Most of the movies you see available on less-than-perfectly-legal-websites will average somewhere between the two.

One also has to take into account the quality of the original. If the DVD you have is nothing more then a copy of a VHS or lesser quality original source, which is true for older movies, then you might as well keep the rip quality low too.

Assuming an average size of 1GB a movie (give or take), your 180 movies will take up about 180GB of space, which will far exceed your iPad's internal storage.

On a side but related note, I would advise against getting an iPad, and recommend a good quality Android based tablet. But that's because I dislike overpriced and underpowered Apple products. The new top-of-the-line Asus Transformer Prime, which is significantly more powerful then the iPad and at a slightly cheaper price, includes an external micro-sd slot. You could therefore easily load up specific movies from your digital collection as you needed them by just swapping cards.

You could also look into cloud storage for the movies you want to see. Granted you will be limited to 25-50GB of "free" storage, and you would need high-speed Internet access when you want to watch them, but it would allow you to stream the movies to your device(s) without having to use your internal storage.

Harry Caul:
I feel like a sucker for having bought upwards of 200 DVDs.  I'm a quality snob and I won't even look at them now unless I think there is no way a blu-ray is going to be released in the next year or so.  And even then, I usually just stream it on Netflix as the quality is about the same.  I think I'm done 'collecting' media.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version