Author Topic: Poster Guide Site  (Read 60072 times)

Bruce

Re: Poster Guide Site
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2012, 06:59:37 AM »
So just to clarify, Mel, Ed can take all the IMAGES of originals and repros from your site http://www.moviepostercollectors.com/Authentications.html and write his own text, and then present those authenications as his own? And if not, why not?

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2012, 07:12:58 AM »
So just to clarify, Mel, Ed can take all the IMAGES of originals and repros from your site http://www.moviepostercollectors.com/Authentications.html and write his own text, and then present those authentications as his own? And if not, why not?

Bruce

Absolutely.  Sharing and widespread dissemination of authentications benefits the hobby.  I'm sure Dan disagrees, but I think it's ridiculous to demand "credit" for an authentication.  The goal is to get the correct information out there (or at least as correct as reasonably possible) and prevent collectors from being ripped off.

Bruce

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2012, 07:37:36 AM »
OK. I will let Ed know he can instantly add a major authentication section to his fine site while doing minimal work, and through omitting any reference to you, can pass it off as his own research. Please be sure to notify him and anyone else who might want to take advantage of your future efforts as well when you make any additions!

Bruce
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:38:56 AM by Bruce »

Offline arsim

• Beginner
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2012, 07:31:03 PM »
Here is Ed's final response (earlier ones are even ruder)
The funny thing is that I didn't use any info directly from the lamp site.
All printer detail were obtained from the images.
I am never going to get his support, possibly because he charges for his site.
Hopefully I can get support from the dealers out there.

Bruce, you've been around the longest and have probably seen just about everything.
What's your view?

Alex,
I know that you are out of the country and can’t respond in depth…. But maybe you can at least read. As far as I’m concerned this will be my last attempt at explaining our position. You either don’t get it or don’t WANT to get it.
You TAKE images from other peoples sites. You TAKE information from sites around the internet THAT MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT BE CORRECT (you wouldn’t know!!). You TAKE our restricted LAMP information and then ignore when I tell you. Some that you picked are rare printers (that I pointed out by NAME) that it is doubtful that a collector would EVER have need of. Those in particular are for use with auction houses and museums that handle early silent material.

I tried to MAKE THE POINT that you don’t know anything about research when you COPIED the WRONG NSS information from Moviegoods. I used this as an example because their mis-information is so BLATANTLY RIDICULOUS, AND YOU DIDN’T EVEN HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO CATCH IT!. You ALREADY have at least another dozen areas that are WRONG in your research. TWO of them were intentionally set up by us to show when people are copying our information.

You say, “I am a collector myself, and I love the hobby. That was my sole motivation for starting the site”. 

WAIT… WAIT!!!  THAT GIVES ME A GREAT IDEA!!
I bet you and your friends ALL have cars that you like…. Why not make a few trips down to your local mechanic shop. You can COPY his Certifications (that he spent a lifetime learning and acquiring). THEN, you can HACK into his manuals and records and PUT UP A FREE MECHANIC SHOP!!!! YOUR FRIENDS WILL LOVE IT!!

NO WAIT… A BETTER IDEA!!

Your family and friends ALL want to be healthy…. Why not make a few trips down to your doctors office.. You can COPY his Diplomas (that he spent his life learning and acquiring)…. You can then HACK into his medical books and open a FREE Medical and Surgical office!!! YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS WILL REALLY LOVE THAT!!!

AND, if you talk REAL NICE, I BET the doctor and mechanic would come out and endorse YOUR PROJECTS, since you are doing it FOR THE GOOD of medicine and mechanic-dom,   From MY perspective, that is EXACTLY what you’re doing.

Having a fan site and putting up images and sorting them by all kinds of directions is GREAT until you try to move into REFERENCE…. THEN, you start affecting monetary decisions of collectors, dealers, and auction houses.  And when you don’t know what you’re doing or are relying on questionable material, instead, you create more confusion, lack of understanding and growth.  This can only have a DISASTEROUS  EFFECT on the hobby, but sadly, you will be applauded by all the internet leeches, UNTIL YOU AFFECT THEIR POCKETBOOK. THEN, they will turn on you in a minute…. Take a good look at probably THE BEST poster restorer in the hobby… John Davis, when he stepped outside of his expertise to put up a reference and authentication site, and tried to ‘HELP THE HOBBY’. Now, he’d have a hard time being an expert witness in a traffic court.  

Programmers have GREAT power. I know, my son-in-law is a master programmer for the U.S. Navy, and he can do some miraculous things. There were no truer words that those spoken in Spiderman, “with power comes great responsibility”. Just because you CAN doesn’t mean that you SHOULD, especially when it comes to someone’s decision making about investing their money or not, or conflicts between what you present and the descriptions given by the auction houses or other dealers. Especially when YOU DON’T KNOW!! And it’s OBVIOUS that YOU DON’T.

In this environment of ‘snatch and claim’, when it comes to research, there should be limits. And compiling information from varieties of QUESTIONABLE SOURCES to present as reference is a TRAIN-WRECK waiting to happen. 

In your letter, you said, “I want to have yours and other dealers support, otherwise there is no reason to do the site.” - YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING

You will get support from the forums that want everything free. So I highly doubt that you are going to listen. I figure that you are going to do whatever you are going to do….
And I’m done talking.
I WANT LAMP and ANYTHING ELSE FROM LAMP REMOVED FROM YOUR WEBSITE. Let the train-wreck commence!!!
As for Dealers images, you will have to take that up with the individual sources. DON’T TAKE THEM FROM LAMP!!!

I will be sending copies of this email out to all our dealers and members.

P.S. If you REALLY want to use your compiling skills, and since you are vacationing in Vietnam, why not compile Middle Eastern material. India, Iran, Iraq, China, Vietnam and surrounding areas are ALL losing their entire film history and culture… and NO ONE is trying to save it. In that arena, ANYTHING would be better than NOTHING. 

Bruce

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »
Here's my view:

On all images that come from my site, I would like a small credit & link below it, like LAMP does (here is an example: http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/posters/db/poster.asp?pid=39145)

You would be doing all visitors to your site a service, since they would then be more quickly able to discover OUR database, which has much information and images yours doesn't.

What do you say?

Bruce

Offline arsim

• Beginner
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »
Here's my view:

On all images that come from my site, I would like a small credit & link below it, like LAMP does (here is an example: http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/posters/db/poster.asp?pid=39145)

You would be doing all visitors to your site a service, since they would then be more quickly able to discover OUR database, which has much information and images yours doesn't.

What do you say?

Bruce

Sounds good to me.
Will attend to this on my return

Bruce

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
Great!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2012, 08:08:46 PM »
Here is Ed's final response (earlier ones are even ruder)
The funny thing is that I didn't use any info directly from the lamp site.

Ed went off the deep end in that response.  And for no good reason because most collectors would say your site is very different from LAMP.  Yours is just an image database. 

Crediting image sources may or may not be a good idea to placate the dealers, but you're going to go bonkers linking 60,000 images to their sources.  If Wikipedia doesn't credit image sources, why should you waste your time doing it?  Your general Thanks page is sufficient IMHO.

Offline arsim

• Beginner
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2012, 08:16:33 PM »
Ed went off the deep end in that response.  And for no good reason because most collectors would say your site is very different from LAMP.  Yours is just an image database. 

Crediting image sources may or may not be a good idea to placate the dealers, but you're going to go bonkers linking 60,000 images to their sources.  If Wikipedia doesn't credit image sources, why should you waste your time doing it?  Your general Thanks page is sufficient IMHO.

I want to have the dealers on side, as they are the ones who spent the time photographing the posters.
I will do an image match based on resolution, a lot of the dealers use a distinct resolution for their images, so I hope this will reduce the time somewhat.

Bruce

« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »
It's easy to tell mine, because most have our watermark. There are many others where someone scanned one of my book images and that scan is now there, but I only want credit for the many that came directly from my site (and there are LOTS of them).

Bruce

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2012, 10:28:20 PM »
That's quite an email.
I can see his point on certain issues, but others....

Offline arsim

• Beginner
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2012, 04:57:21 AM »
Ok I have implemented the image provider function on the site.
It was a little hard to program this on an iPad, but I managed to get it done.

See the following links for emovieposter examples:
http://posterguide.org/browseposter.php?browse=14&id=9
http://posterguide.org/posterdetails.php?pid=215634&mid=742962

Providers can also be accessed from the left hand menu.

Obviously these sections will be expanded on my return from holidays.

Bruce

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2012, 06:14:52 AM »
That's great! I suggest you ask places in the future before you start copying images, and if you only use the ones from the sites that say it is fine, then you will have no hassles on the image front in the future, and almost every site will be happy to cooperate (because it will help them as well as you by getting them more visitors), so it will be a "win/win" situation.

As to info, there are the issues Ed raises. But we at eMoviePoster.com only use information we gain first hand from seeing it on a poster (litho number, artist, etc). The biggest problem with using other people's info is that there is a TON of inaccurate info out there, and you risk having lots and lots of errors on your site if you just take what you find (or worse yet, if you let people submit info).

Do you remember the early days of Wikipedia? Anyone could go on at any time and change what was there! Of course, that didn't work out at all, and had to be changed.

Bruce

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2012, 06:33:07 AM »
Did they change Wikipedia?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Bruce

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2012, 06:41:56 AM »
Yes. You used to be able to go onto ANY page and change it massively. I could put that Barack Obama is a Muslim and a Terrorist, and that info would be there until someone else removed it. Obviously, that created a place that pranksters started bombarding with false info. I don't know exactly how it works now, but it is far more controlled than in those early days.

Bruce

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2012, 06:53:04 AM »
I made changes to a number of pages, I admit I haven't tried recently.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »
The problem I have with the site is that there is incorrect information about some of the posters listed. In the rush to hoover up images checking poster information seems to have been overlooked. Isn't it then just like movieposterdb if it's inaccurate?

I don't have a site with images but I don't know how I'd feel if I did and they were randomly taken. Didn't Adam ask for James Bond poster images to be submitted to his site awhile ago. That seemed to annoy people back then.

Offline arsim

• Beginner
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2012, 06:03:30 AM »
The problem I have with the site is that there is incorrect information about some of the posters listed. In the rush to hoover up images checking poster information seems to have been overlooked. Isn't it then just like movieposterdb if it's inaccurate?

I don't have a site with images but I don't know how I'd feel if I did and they were randomly taken. Didn't Adam ask for James Bond poster images to be submitted to his site awhile ago. That seemed to annoy people back then.
If you had to enter 60000 posters one at a time over 8 years, I'm sure you would have mistakes too. I worked with the information available at the time. The idea of the submission system is to allow members to suggest corrections for mistakes, and to submit new posters for review. I do review many existing posters quite often.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2012, 06:24:15 AM »
If you had to enter 60000 posters one at a time over 8 years, I'm sure you would have mistakes too.

I have been trying to put my website together of around 300 rephotographed posters, each with about 4 photos each.  It has been around a year now and I am knackered after adding 50. I dont know how I'll ever complete it.

60000, over 8 years, one at a time is some serious dedication.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2012, 07:18:30 AM »
I'm not questioning dedication (which is obviously to be admired) just accuracy. If you set up a database like this I think it's important, otherwise just go and visit movieposterdb.com Maybe less posters with accurate descriptions would have been better. But as I said before, I admire the effort.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2012, 07:58:59 AM »
I have been trying to put my website together of around 300 rephotographed posters, each with about 4 photos each.  It has been around a year now and I am knackered after adding 50. I dont know how I'll ever complete it.

60000, over 8 years, one at a time is some serious dedication.

Ha ha - this chimes well with me too, I'm doing the same and it's hard work! So kudos to arsim

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2012, 08:09:36 AM »
I'm not questioning dedication (which is obviously to be admired) just accuracy. If you set up a database like this I think it's important, otherwise just go and visit movieposterdb.com Maybe less posters with accurate descriptions would have been better. But as I said before, I admire the effort.

I wonder if it is a matter of a couple of your favorites having some information you question.  Why not simply help arsim by reviewing and suggesting corrections, rather than trashing him in the forum?  It still seems much better than nothing, and I applaud the effort.

Even Bruce has occasional issues, which are corrected by his members.  Can't help it with any large undertaking.
-Jay-

Bruce

« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2012, 08:31:54 AM »
Definitely Jay! We have a real ARMY of people who correct mistakes we make. They see that we have a real love of the stuff, and go to great lengths to research stuff that is only of interest to historians and major film buffs, and that makes them much more willing to take the time to help.

Also, we correct every error (even after the fact) and we make notes in our massive database to prevent it from happening again.

When you see a company auction a fake as real five times, and each time you let them know, and then they do it a sixth time, what is the incentive to contact them?

We have now sold items from over 65,000 different movies, which is pretty staggering when you think about it! Whenever I see an item from a movie we have never sold anything on, I try to list it, even if it is likely to sell for $1, because that will be one more movie represented.

Bruce

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2012, 08:46:30 AM »
I wonder if it is a matter of a couple of your favorites having some information you question.  Why not simply help arsim by reviewing and suggesting corrections, rather than trashing him in the forum?  It still seems much better than nothing, and I applaud the effort.

Even Bruce has occasional issues, which are corrected by his members.  Can't help it with any large undertaking.

I'm not trashing anyone, but I apologise if I've offended your sensibilities.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2012, 09:34:25 AM »
I'm not trashing anyone, but I apologise if I've offended your sensibilities.

Uh, you're in the wrong place.  The ass of the month competition is going on in the other thread.
-Jay-