Author Topic: Should I Restore/Linen Back This?  (Read 31142 times)

Charlie

Re: Should I Restore/Linen Back This?
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17:51 PM »
It's beautiful as is, IMHO of course.  Frame it and enjoy it, well done.

Conor

I love your avatar...  :)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 03:07:02 AM »

if you buy from Bruce, Heritage or myself, you can be sure you will get what you are supposed to and packaging is top notch with all of us. Don't listen to the fear tactics of anyone, though agreeably ebay sellers can be less than stellar.

Rich - it's all well and good to recommend others, but when you include yourself in the list of recommended dealers and leave others out then it's somewhat lopsided reporting. There are plenty of others who describe accurately and package well and if we included dealers and traders then there are people in this Forum who I have bought/traded from that would be well deserved of those sorts of compliments too.

But among all, take your time. Be patient. You don't have to buy the first copy that comes up for what you want unless it is an incredibly rare item. If you want condition, then really wait until you can find the copy you want.

using the search results has it's caveats. Like for instance from 2005-2008 the market was being driven by a small number of big money collectors who drove up lots of price. Then these buyers left the field and at the same time the economy tanked so prices fell. the prices achieved after 2008 are indicative of what prices should be more than adding 2005-2008 into the average. You'll learn these facts as you go.

Rich is 100% right, it's all about the research.

And James, to answer the question re linen backing, IMHO I will agree with the many that an original poster framed is so much more enjoyable, even with folds. But it's personal.
David

Muddyfunster

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 04:09:02 AM »

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Can anyone dig out the picture of that? It was without a doubt the worst ever restoration job ever. I guess it's because their are a lot of paint subtleties in that ET poster. Lot's of different tones. Not an easy restore.

restored?? you mean "criminally handled"

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 04:24:13 AM »
Rich - it's all well and good to recommend others, but when you include yourself in the list of recommended dealers and leave others out then it's somewhat lopsided reporting.

OMG Get a life. No matter how many recommended dealers Rich lists in his comment, there will always be others left out.

if you buy from Bruce, Heritage or myself, you can be sure you will get what you are supposed to and packaging is top notch with all of us.

I haven't yet bought from Rich, I agree the packaging of Bruce and Heritage is hard to fault, From Bruce, for sure, and what I have heard, from Rich too, you will get what you expect thumbup. But I wouldn't say from my experience you will get what you are supposed to from Heritage (I got undisclosed hand sized restoration which I think would have reduced the bidding on the item I won by a couple of thousand $ if it had been disclosed).

ozcinemagic

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 07:03:15 AM »
I think there are two different aspects to consider, both of which can be associated with linen backing.

1. To help preserve the paper and prolong its integrity.

2. To restore from a visually unappealing state and by intention to increase value and market acceptance.

I'm no authority on poster restoration, and I don't buy big dollar paper. But if I did, and I had a choice, I'd go with non-restored every time. You know what you're getting. Simple as that.

Bruce

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 07:30:26 AM »
The overriding consideration when you are on the fence about backing or not backing is that you can always later back an unbacked poster but you can't really ever "unback" a backed poster, so why not live with it unbacked and see how you feel down the line?

As to people accurately describing condition, I used to buy online all the time from random eBay sellers, but I have almost completely quit (look at my eBay feedback: user name emovieposter.com) and the number one reason was how many people flat out lied on the condition (I would get items with tons of pinholes or lots of waterstains, unmentioned and graded as "very good" and there would be a fuzzy photo). The number two problem was always poor packaging.

Ask around, and if a few different people say "I had a problem with X seller or auction" then that is probably someone you don't want to deal with, or you may well be the next person saying it! And the vast majority of people won't comment publicly about negative experiences, so ask in private emails (the best people to ask are long time collectors who have large collections, because they have probably dealt with just about everyone.

For example, I have never bought from Dale Dilts (I have sold to him), but I have never ever heard even ONE slightly negative comment about him, and I have heard a ton of positive ones. Isn't this the kind of seller you should be seeking out?

Bruce
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:30:38 AM by Bruce »

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 01:46:47 PM »
The infamous E.T. linen backed poster:

Why wouldn't you want something that looks like this?

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
Kee-ripes!
Sister Mary Francis...what the hell happened there?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »
Kee-ripes!
Sister Mary Francis...what the hell happened there?

Bob got "Eugened"

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 02:03:24 PM »
I like it better than the other one......
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 02:05:32 PM »
Oh, forgot to add.. ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 02:05:56 PM »
A little heavy handed with the 1" wide paint brush, methinks. Gives new meaning to the term, "touch up."   laugh1

spew

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:10:54 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »
That poster has 'lawsuit' written all over it.
Is the perpetrator institutionalized, or is he still running loose?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 02:14:10 PM »
Ted,

It looks like it was backed well, at least.  No air bubbles or ripples. ;)

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »
I think it had a painting by numbers feel to it.

Maybe that's what the guy was striving for...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 02:17:01 PM »
Do not send your posters to my 4 yr old niece to be restored.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 02:19:21 PM »
I think it had a painting by numbers feel to it.

Maybe that's what the guy was striving for...

"Artistic license?".

It does look like a painting

---- of sorts-----

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 03:05:51 PM »
Ted.. that poster was done by Eugene Hughes or his assistant

no doubt it was criminally handled (this is why I recommend against doing your own linenbacking and sending your posters to professionals)

Bob was "hughes'd"

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »
And I guess Eugene is not one of those professionals
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »
Rich - it's all well and good to recommend others, but when you include yourself in the list of recommended dealers and leave others out then it's somewhat lopsided reporting. .

no doubt this is a pretty foolish comment, on several levels.  I cannot possibly list, nor do I intend to list, every good seller there is and there are many. However what I did was to list those sellers who do weekly auctions - week in, week out, 52 weeks a year - and I just happen to be one of them, selling almost 15,000 items a year through my auctions, and my reputation as such a seller is damned good. You will find many positive comments about my auctions right here on this forum.

If Movie Poster Exchange was open for business, I would have mentioned them also as Sean and Peter are among the best dealers there are. I'm always happy to support those dealers who do benefit to this hobby of ours, even though we are all competitors. That's something that few dealers are willing to do.

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
Well, I'd be happy to do the Rich recommendation, and I'm sure others would chime in as well.

However, Rich wasn't being fair as these are the dealers that run weekly auctions from their own sites.

To be fair, there are other legitimate dealers that run weekly eBay auctions (for example rixposterz).  Quality may vary and I wouldn't make specific recommendations, but David does have a point there.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:49:20 PM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »
Rick is a good seller, but he doesn't run completely weekly auctions all year, nor is he doing a massive listing each week. There are actually very few people who do WEEKLY auctions and I stress the word "AUCTIONS". There are dozens of fantastic dealers who do always have set sale items listed at all times on ebay, but my comment was also specific to auctions and not set sale items disguised as auctions.

I am not aware of any dealer aside from Heritage, Bruce or myself who does a 99cents/$1 weekly no reserve auction and to be fair, I guess Heritage really isn't running a $1 auction, so that means that right now, only 2 people (Bruce and myself) run true weekly 99cents/$1 auctions with no reserve prices every week of the year

-------

Bruce

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »
Actually, since you do 99 cents no reserve auctions you beat us by a penny, and YOU WIN!

Bruce

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 07:44:46 PM »
Actually, since you do 99 cents no reserve auctions you beat us by a penny, and YOU WIN!

Bruce

But Rich only has two employees Bruce!

Well three when you count his ego ;)
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 09:49:27 PM »
Well three when you count his ego ;)

You mean, his alter-ego!
Thwip...thwip...