Author Topic: Should I Restore/Linen Back This?  (Read 31384 times)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Re: Should I Restore/Linen Back This?
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2012, 04:17:57 AM »
The overall poster was in fairly good shape, but there were some problems that detracted from the visual appeal - at least in my opinion. But it wasn't like it had to go under major re-constructive surgery. And if, in the future, I ever decide to sell it, I can provide pictures of the "before" to show that.

Actually, for a modern poster, I believe that the technical term for that condition is 'beat to ever-loving shit'... seriously...

I am not saying that you are wrong for doing it, by any means... In fact I still need to take advantage of the one free linenbacking from Dario that I won in a name that poster contest from our long lost Big Red on NSFGE, but it provided perfect evidence of why buying (modern) linenbacked posters is such a mine field...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »
Looks great, Enki.
That Dario guy does some fine work, doesn't he?
 thumbup

Der Januskopf

« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2012, 12:58:46 PM »

This is what it looked like when he first received it:

From this initial picture, it looks like, rather than this being refolded and shipped flat, the poster was rolled before being mailed? I wonder why wasn't it refolded and mailed that way? You can look at this picture and see that it could easily have been refolded, as the folds were not relaxed and still very evident.

It would have taken a LONG time, pressed under weighted items for you to get those exaggerated, tented folds out, had you not opted to have it backed (and flattened).

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »
I received it from EMP rolled with other rolled posters. I also shipped it to Dario rolled in one of the same tubes.

I didn't even think about shipping it folded. Probably could have saved myself some $$$ in the shipping costs!

Der Januskopf

« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2012, 01:18:54 PM »
Hi Enki,

I was more wondering why it was rolled, prior to you receiving it. This poster could have been gently refolded and sent to you flat, rather than creating that dual fold/roll situation, IMHO. I can certainly understand that you would have re-rolled it, when you sent it to Dario; makes total sense.

Plus, once a poster has this roll/fold thing going on, they can be very difficult to fold again properly, without causing damage, as the paper now wants to also curl up on itself, too. (I did this same thing with some posters i had a long time ago--so i know.  ;) )

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:32:57 PM by Der Januskopf »

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2012, 01:38:51 PM »
Per Bruce:

"Important Added Info: Note that this one-sheet measures 27" x 40 3/4" [69 x 104 cm]. Also note that this is an advance one-sheet (note the "Coming this summer to a theatre near you" at the bottom of the poster). Finally, note that this poster was folded at one time but has been laying flat for a long time and will be sent rolled in a tube."

Der Januskopf

« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »
Per Bruce:

"Important Added Info: Note that this one-sheet measures 27" x 40 3/4" [69 x 104 cm]. Also note that this is an advance one-sheet (note the "Coming this summer to a theatre near you" at the bottom of the poster). Finally, note that this poster was folded at one time but has been laying flat for a long time and will be sent rolled in a tube."

Enki,

Yes, i have seen that in the EMP descriptions, too, when folded posters will sometimes be shipped rolled. And that is a good thing for posters that have very relaxed folds, having been laid flat for a long time.

In your case, tho, I was basing my comment and (opinion only) on the visual observation of the picture you provided, showing the exaggerated tenting along the still very evident fold lines / creases.  ;)

The bottom line, tho, is that Dario did a beautiful job.

-Kerry

Charlie

« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2012, 11:41:56 PM »

Am I the only one that sees that darker line in the top middle; through the lighter shaded cloud?  I would have thought it would be less obvious or he would have tried to match the colors better..  Not trying to bring it down; it is very much improved.  Trying to figure out what tolerances there are for the details from you guys...  I would have expected the colors to match.  Maybe it looks better in person...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:43:10 PM by Charlie »

Freefall

« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2012, 11:51:54 PM »
Cup half empty...Cup half full... :P