Author Topic: Blade Runner II  (Read 16818 times)

agentprovocateur

Blade Runner II
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:21:40 AM »
Just saw this and though y'all might be interested...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/feb/06/harrison-ford-blade-runner-sequel

Harrison Ford 'in talks' for Blade Runner sequel
Actor set to reprise role as Rick Deckard in Ridley Scott's forthcoming follow-up to his 1982 sci-fi classic, reports say
Ben Child
guardian.co.uk, Monday 6 February 2012 12.59 GMT

Harrison Ford is lining up to make a surprise return to the role of Rick Deckard in Ridley Scott's Blade Runner sequel, Twitchfilm reports. Ford is apparently in early talks to return as the replicant nemesis in Scott's forthcoming followup to his 1982 sci-fi classic. If the prediction turns out to be true, it would be even more of a shock than the news in March last year that the veteran British film-maker was to shoot a new Blade Runner film. Scott had dismissed rumours of another Blade Runner film for nearly three decades, and his producer Andrew Kosove denied suggestions Ford might be involved in the new film as recently as last August.

"Twitch has learned that Harrison Ford has entered into early talks to join the new Blade Runner," reports the US site. "While this is still very early stages and it is quite possible that things won't work out the obvious implication is that what we are looking at is not a reboot but a direct sequel to the original."

Based on the 1968 Philip K Dick novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Blade Runner was not a hit at the time but has gathered plaudits over the years. Set in an overpopulated future Los Angeles that never sees the sunlight, Scott's movie is about a "blade runner", played by Ford, who is tasked with hunting down a gang of replicants (android outlaws) who have escaped to Earth from an off-world colony. The film-maker left the audience to decide whether Deckard himself is a replicant.

Negative criticism of the film was largely reversed with the arrival in 1992 of Scott's director's cut, which excised the original's voiceover and a pegged-on "happy ending". Dick never wrote a sequel to the book, so Scott will probably be aiming to produce an original story. Three follow-up novels by Dick's friend, KW Jeter, were written between 1995 and 2000 to try to resolve some of the differences between Blade Runner and its source novel, but they were poorly received.

Prior to working on Blade Runner 2, which may or may not be his next film, Scott will make his long-awaited return to science fiction with Prometheus, a film "set in the same universe" as Alien, his cult 1979 slasher in space. The film, which stars Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Guy Pearce and Idris Elba, opens in the UK on 1 June.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Blade Runner II
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:31:49 AM »
Man I wish it were April 1 reading this  :-\
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:32:39 AM by CSM »
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:50:49 AM »
It's not very inspiring is it ?
Ford returns as a bad replicant,how obvious,must have taken minutes to come up with that master stroke.

Stew

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:51:25 AM »

+1  :(

Well, if they are going to make it, I really hope the pre-Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade shows up for work (Conversation, Apoc Now, Blade Runner, Witness, Mosquito Coast, Frantic, etc...).  After TLC it seems like he has played every roll with his trademark smirk and a wink.  That would be totally inappropriate here.

By the way, I guess this also means Deckard is *not* a replicant, as many had surmised.  His time would have run out long ago.  The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long and all that...  

Bruce

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:10:01 AM »
I'm thinking Godfather III bad (or worse!)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:17:11 AM »
 :'(

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 12:12:21 PM »

By the way, I guess this also means Deckard is *not* a replicant, as many had surmised.  His time would have run out long ago.  The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long and all that...  

Not necessarily - Deckard and Rachel are both Nexus 7 models :)
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »
Not necessarily - Deckard and Rachel are both Nexus 7 models :)

But Nexus 7 models were supposed to have a nearly unlimited life span (immortal?).  How will they explain his rapid aging?  Nerds everywhere want to know!   :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 01:59:40 PM »
But Nexus 7 models were supposed to have a nearly unlimited life span (immortal?).  How will they explain his rapid aging?  Nerds everywhere want to know!   :)

Nasty computer virus (and being with a middle-aged Rachel) of course!
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 02:12:20 PM »
Nasty computer virus (and being with a middle-aged Rachel) of course!

They could de-age him, a la Jeff Bridges...

Stew

DreamWarrior

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 02:50:37 PM »
 puke

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »
They could de-age him, a la Jeff Bridges...

Stew

Damn you Stew - I had successfully purged that debacle from my mind until now
Chris

od_sf

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »
These are just rumors, folks. I'll bet anything that Ford will not be in it.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 05:51:37 PM »

I'm of a like mind.

od_sf

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »

Here you go. Rumor officially squashed: http://screenrant.com/harrison-ford-blade-runner-sequel-sandy-149839/

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
Here you go. Rumor officially squashed: http://screenrant.com/harrison-ford-blade-runner-sequel-sandy-149839/

Any publicity is good publicity?

I have a feeling this film may never materialize regardless - they don't even have a story or writer yet!
Chris

od_sf

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 06:05:50 PM »

I have a feeling this film may never materialize regardless - they don't even have a story or writer yet!

I really hope it doesn't. BR is my favorite film and I can't imagine ever liking a sequel/reboot/whatever of it.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »
I really hope it doesn't. BR is my favorite film and I can't imagine ever liking a sequel/reboot/whatever of it.

Yeah I would say the original has been tinkered with enough already?
Chris

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 04:50:53 AM »
So I was cautiously optimistic on this one.  On one hand, I love Blade Runner.  But, on the other hand, the potential for a fuck up is huge.

Well, they made a fuck up.  The colossal nuclear grand poomba of all fuck-ups.  Instead of grabbing Alex Proyas, Terry Gilliam who might have made it worthwhile.  They have gone and snagged Michael Bay to direct this thing.  Now Deckard is going to be driving Optimus fucking Prime and chasing around CGI replicants.  Damn.

Asked how he plans to update the characters: “In the original, the robot characters really didn’t look or act much like robots – due to a lack of CGI options in the 80s. So you really had to use your imagination there. That was the first thing I wanted to address, and while I can’t give much away yet, lets just say you’re gonna know the robots in this movie are robots from the 21st century!”

You have to be shitting me........does he realize he just trashed everything that fans of blade runner love about the film?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:55:10 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 04:55:48 AM »
Michael Bay is a moron

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Blade Runner II
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 05:00:13 AM »
^ who makes millions of dollars making movies people seem to happy paying for tickets to. Don't worry, much like the remake and the sequel to the wicker man it doesn't lessen the first. You can always show your distaste with your wallet kept firmly in your pocket.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 07:26:44 AM »
Bay directing has to be an April Fools Day joke, no?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 07:30:35 AM »
Ahhh haha could be. Not that Ridley Scott is any better usually (not only ducks for cover  but digs a deep hole and cements himself in)....
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 07:47:35 AM »
The bit Kovacs wrote about the replicants not looking like robots is quite believable! I can imagine Bay saying that and a load of studio guys sitting round him nodding their heads.

Ahhh haha could be. Not that Ridley Scott is any better usually (not only ducks for cover  but digs a deep hole and cements himself in)....

I tend to agree. He'll always get a pass from me due to Alien and Blade Runner, but he has made a lot of mediocre films and too many just plain bad ones. I do like Hannibal and Matchstick Men and Gladiator is ok.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:48:33 AM by Tob »

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 12:01:22 PM »
That Michael Bay article was the first April Fools gotcha for me this year! But it seems like he has actually been in talks to do it - reality stranger than fiction!